Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Huge props to OP on this thread! I've bought Michelin Pilot AS 4 tires to replace the stock tires and will likely be going with new RIMS 18x8 +45 ET on 235/50/18. According to the calcs, the scrub radius remains the same at zero, and 12.7mm closer to the suspension and out (poke). A 40 ET on 18x8 would poke out 18 mm and in 7mm, with a slightly more positive scrub.

I was looking at the stock setup, and there doesn't seem to be much room in the rear to the suspension but searching this forum, lots have seemed to go with this setup. Likely going with Fast Innovation wheels, hubcentric. Once spring arrives and I get them on, I will report back. Can't wait!
You're welcome. I get a little obsessive with numbers sometimes. The +45 look to clear the suspension, but it's close. Saving 1 lb of unsprung weight overall (with tire) at each corner with the +45 compared to stock. Weight seems to be even with a +40 in that wheel, with it coming in 1 lb heavier. Extra material for a change in offset? Either way, it's going to be a nice setup. Another member also has the Fast Innovations, sharp wheel.

The MPAS4 also made my short list for my summer setup, along with the Pilot Sport 4 SUV and Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus. You can really rack your brain deciding over diameter, aesthetics, performance and weight... maybe it's just me. lol

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
1/27/22 edit: Added some new calculations that should be helpful.
  • % diameter increase over stock 18". It appears most owners that choose to upsize are doing so up to the infamous 3% increase with only 1 outlier, so far ;)
  • Actual wheel overall width to include rims of the wheels. This can be used to help dial in the aesthetic you want.
  • Estimated tire bulge outside the rim edge. Building onto the previous addition, this will give you an idea of how the tire will protrude past the rim. If you want a squared off tuner aesthetic or you are trying to keep things flush or tucked, you will likely want this number as close to 0 as possible. A negative number would be considered stretch fitment. If you want some rim protection or are looking for your tire (most) to perform as designed, keep this # in the postive.
  • Weight percentage increase or decrease. You may want to consider weight reduction in your fitment when upsizing to help offset the increased diameter.

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
1/29/22 edit: Giving credit where credit is due and added the owners to each of the setups in the spreadsheet. I also included links to each setup below the spreadsheet, click this to go to the OP. I modified the estimated cladding measurement to better represent the comparison to the rear cladding. It should be a little more accurate now, maybe. On a side note, after 20 weeks and 2 days I finally received a call for a delivery date of Feb 4-14. 🙂 I finalized my wheel/tire choices for my initial setup, so the next update may include my own CX-30. Let's hope all of my calculations are not too far off. 🔍

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I thought I would share a discovery in case anyone else is heading the same direction in the future and fails to find what I found. When comparing tires I came across the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W in the size 235/65r17:
Font Material property Circle Pattern Parallel

Good height and light weight? Something seemed off. It's actually the lightest weight A/T3W offered, in any size. Plus, the only A/T3W that has an item number that begins with the number 5. I did some digging on some other forums and found a Ford owner who purchased these and after closer inspection found that this specific size is a severely watered down version of the A/T3W. An individual emailed Falken and they replied:

"The AT3W in this size [235/65/17] is a OE option tire on some of the new Ford Vehicles. As such, it is not the full on, off the shelf Wildpeak A/T3W that should weigh more than the AT Trail due to it's position as a light truck tire in comparison to the cross over tire of the AT Trail".

As such, Falken really chopped a good deal of rubber off as it really lacks the aggressive look that the standard A/T3W offers. The owner claims the tire shop put the less aggressive sidewall on the outside but I've seen other pics and they are not appealing, at least to me.

For the full thread go here: Maverick Truck Club

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Light
vs
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Needless to say, I went a different route.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this thread has been out for a while, but I'm new to the Mazda car thing. My last car was a GTI, heavily modified, running basically track/street tires on super light racing konigs. Bridgestone RE11s on konig 8X8.5 rims weighing 18 lbs each. On my car it produced amazing results- coupled with Koni coil overs and a massive 28 mm rear sway bar. That being said, the GTI is a completely different car. My preference is always upgrading on road performance, not off road because I spend 99 percent of my time on a paved road. In the realm of tires and wheels- once the stock Bridgestone tires wear out, was wondering if anyone has done a light racing type wheel- 18 or 19 with a more track oriented tire like a Michelin PS4, Bridgestone RE-71, Continental Extreme Contact. Or I suppose I could just keep the 18X7 stock black rims and run some kind of 225? These are the kinds of tires I'm used to running in the summer on cars like Audis, Mercedes, GTI, Porsche, etc. anyone try this with a CX30 turbo? just wondering. not planning to do anything in a while. just asking because this car is very different than the more road performance oriented cars I'm used to. thanks for any advice on the matter, Niels

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I know this thread has been out for a while, but I'm new to the Mazda car thing. My last car was a GTI, heavily modified, running basically track/street tires on super light racing konigs. Bridgestone RE11s on konig 8X8.5 rims weighing 18 lbs each. On my car it produced amazing results- coupled with Koni coil overs and a massive 28 mm rear sway bar. That being said, the GTI is a completely different car. My preference is always upgrading on road performance, not off road because I spend 99 percent of my time on a paved road. In the realm of tires and wheels- once the stock Bridgestone tires wear out, was wondering if anyone has done a light racing type wheel- 18 or 19 with a more track oriented tire like a Michelin PS4, Bridgestone RE-71, Continental Extreme Contact. Or I suppose I could just keep the 18X7 stock black rims and run some kind of 225? These are the kinds of tires I'm used to running in the summer on cars like Audis, Mercedes, GTI, Porsche, etc. anyone try this with a CX30 turbo? just wondering. not planning to do anything in a while. just asking because this car is very different than the more road performance oriented cars I'm used to. thanks for any advice on the matter, Niels
My Enkei RPF1's 17x7 (14.9 lb each) are ceramic coated and ready to go but will be getting trail tires for winter once the 30 arrives. I also have Rays Volk TE37 Saga S Plus 17x7.5 (15.7 lb each) on order for summer, but they are still 6 months out. I'm leaning heavily towards the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV 225/65 for those. A pretty high sidewall for a track setup but the big difference between the GTI and the CX-30 to me is managing the aesthetic balance while also finding a tire that performs well. Not many options out there that do both, you will sacrifice something going too far one way or the other. The 18" stock wheels are heavy at almost 27 lb. If you're concerned about performance, those gotta go imo.

Aesthetics
Do you plan on lowering it? If so, this would help solve some of the stock suspension issues, obviously. Managing an aesthetic balance between the sidewall and cladding is an issue for me. From what I've seen a 215-235/60-70 seems to work well visually. Filling some of the wheel gap is another issue, so going with a larger diameter tire is necessary imo. Do you want larger heavier wheels (18"-20") with shorter sidewalls (35-45) or smaller lighter wheels (16"-17") with taller sidewall tires (60-70)? I think the middle ground here would be a 50-55 sidewall.

Performance
If you don't care about aesthetics (wheel gap or cladding balance) and are strictly looking for performance, I'd probably find a lightweight 17" wheel paired with a 235/55. Not many (if any?) extremely lightweight 16" options out there that will clear the calipers. If staying with the stock diameter, I did quite a few calculations between 18" and 17" wheel and tire combinations. Some say you make up for the lost weight from a smaller wheel by having more rubber weight. The data I collected didn't prove that to be true at all. The 18" combinations were always heavier. If you want a shorter sidewall, yeah the 18s are the way to go. But if you can deal with a 55 sidewall, I think the weight savings of a 17 is likely more advantageous. Plus a little more sidewall on a daily driver usually just adds to comfort.

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus in Snowflake White Pearl
91 Posts
I plan on jumping from the CX-30 to the CX-50 and had been curious what the wheel and tire sizes are. Got my answer this past weekend. Now to think about how getting a set of the Falkens in that size now would work on the CX-30 to then switch them back to the Turanzas upon trade-in and keep the Falkens as a backup set for the CX-50...
  • Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails - 225/60R18
  • Goodyear Eagle Touring - 245/45R20

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I plan on jumping from the CX-30 to the CX-50 and had been curious what the wheel and tire sizes are. Got my answer this past weekend. Now to think about how getting a set of the Falkens in that size now would work on the CX-30 to then switch them back to the Turanzas upon trade-in and keep the Falkens as a backup set for the CX-50...
  • Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails - 225/60R18
  • Goodyear Eagle Touring - 245/45R20
225/60r18 FWATT should fit well on a stock 18x7 and my guess is you won't rub at full lock. Your hypotenuse will be 29.74" which is 0.69" less than 30on29s running the 235/65 of the same tire, but on a wider wheel. My 30 just arrived today so I should be able to pick it up when I get back from vacation early next week. I'm putting 225/65r17 FWATT on the same day I pick it up. 225/60r18 and 225/65r17 are almost identical in diameter and width, the 18 only a tenth of an inch taller, wider and 2 tenths of a pound heavier. FWIW, Tire Rack has the 225/65r17 at a 6.9" tread width and the 225/60r18 at a 7.8" tread width.

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
2/15/22 edit: Just picked up my CX-30 yesterday and put the new shoes on the same day. It clears the front wheel at full turn lock, barely. I'd say 1mm or 2mm at most.
Enkei RPF1 17x7 +45 • 14.9 lb
Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail 225/65r17 • 28.6" • 30 lb
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
325 hp / 400 lb⋅ft
207 Posts
2/15/22 edit: Just picked up my CX-30 yesterday and put the new shoes on the same day. It clears the front wheel at full turn lock, barely. I'd say 1mm or 2mm at most.
That's looking very, very good!

I know we've talked about a lot of different wheel/tire combos in here. Can you remind me what you have in this setup (brand/model names and their specs)?

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
That's looking very, very good!

I know we've talked about a lot of different wheel/tire combos in here. Can you remind me what you have in this setup (brand/model names and their specs)?
Thank you! I'm pretty satisfied with the combo.
Enkei RPF1 17x7 +45 • 14.9 lb
Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail 225/65r17 • 28.6" • 30 lb

·
Registered
325 hp / 400 lb⋅ft
207 Posts
I'm telling ya - with lightweight/good-looking wheels, beefy AT tires (in a common size) that balance out the cladding, and only a mm or so of full-lock clearance, you really dialed that in!

All that hard work and research is finally paying off, it's got to be a good feeling 😎

Do you think a 225/70/17 would rub at full lock based on what you've seen with yours?

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'm telling ya - with lightweight/good-looking wheels, beefy AT tires (in a common size) that balance out the cladding, and only a mm or so of full-lock clearance, you really dialed that in!

All that hard work and research is finally paying off, it's got to be a good feeling 😎

Do you think a 225/70/17 would rub at full lock based on what you've seen with yours?
Yep, I concur, all the data collection really helped dial things in. 📊

I couldn't find any tires available in a 225/70r17 size. However, the next diameter up in the 17" would be a 215/70, which similarly, there are very few available options in this size. I did calculate a Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 in a 215/70 though. You'd be looking at +8 mm hypotenuse, which is +4 mm at each corner at full turn lock. I'd say it's feasible with a hair of rub at lock. I don't think this would be much of a concern at all. Some extra ground clearance is always nice in the winter but I'm eyeing up the Vredestein Wintrac Pro 225/65 for next season. Great reviews on this tire, and what it gives up in ground clearance (0.2", which is nothing) it makes up for being lighter (1.5 lb per tire) and having a 0.7" less tread width over the Blizzack DM-V2.

After that, the 235/65r17 is the next option with a good deal of tires available in this size. I think you're getting into a little more rub here due to the width and diameter. Would it work, again, doable imo. The downside here is 235/65 seems to be decent weight increase. A 235/65 might look a little bulgy on a 7" wide wheel as well. Personally, I'm glad I didn't get overzealous with the diameter and go the added diameter/weight route.

In my opinion, if someone is going with a 17" wheel, my recommendation would be a 225/65 or 215/65. Depending on the application (trail/winter/summer) or availability of sizes, I think either would work well covering all the bases... increased diameter, weight reduction (paired with a light weight wheel), comfort, and appropriate CX-30 aesthetics. Most 225/65 tires are going to be a little better for trails, comfort and aesthetics. Most 215/65 tires are going to stay in the infamous 3% diameter increase range, be a little lighter and have a more narrow tread width being slightly better for winter applications.

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
@McMattface - I like my setup, but depending on what your tastes are I actually think my setup could be adjusted if one was looking for a little less side wall bulge. Utilizing the same brands and models, if one wanted to keep the maximum diameter, I think a 225/65r17 matched with a 17x8 wheel would offer less side wall bulge while sacrificing some weight, about a 1 lb extra per wheel. If one was willing to go down a size, I also think a 215/65r17 matched with a 17x7.5 wheel would also offer less side wall bulge, while also reducing 3/4 lb total weight at each corner. Either way, an increase in wheel width may be a consideration for those looking for a little less side wall bulge.

·
Registered
325 hp / 400 lb⋅ft
207 Posts
@McMattface - I like my setup, but depending on what your tastes are I actually think my setup could be adjusted if one was looking for a little less side wall bulge...
I actually think the 225 width gives it a good rugged look on a 7" wheel. I think the biggest factor for whether I go 225/7, 225/7.5, etc would be wheel choice. I'm still not 100% on what I want to do there, so it's possible wheels might be the deciding factor (within certain parameters of course).

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
3/7/22 edit: Added thumbnail pics to the original post for the top 10. I will be posting the chart on new posts moving forward so I am able to include the photos on the main post. A few new additions to the upsize gang as well. IG: bayareamazda coming in at the number 2 spot with a slightly wider tire. Keith Wagner rockin a mirror setup of Chris Howard. Patrick Kelly with the first 16x6.5 wheel with spacers.
Font Parallel Pattern Rectangle Number

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
A new all terrain tire, the Nomad Grappler, was recently released by Nitto that appears to stand out on paper. It's marketed towards the CUV market and seems to have a physical resemblance of the Falken Wildpeak Trail and appears to be the market they are looking to share. It stands apart from other trail tires in that every size comes with an XL load rating on top of being lightweight compared to other XL rated tires of similar size. 🤔 Initial YouTube reviews seem positive and it will be interesting to see if it is as well recieved as the Wildpeak Trail.

Nitto Nomad Grappler

21 - 40 of 87 Posts