Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I was just looking at these last night as chance would have it. I didn't realize they were new!
Looks like they released March 1st. If I was in the market, I'd be inclined to give them a go in the 225/65r17 as they come in at the same weight as the Wildpeak Trail but include XL load rating.

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
3/22/22 Edit:
I measured my fitment today. I have 5mm of tuck in the front and 13mm of tuck in the rear. These measurements were taken from the top of the cladding and outermost portion of the top sidewall minus protection 'wildpeak' lettering. I should be able to estimate whether a fitment will be tuck, flush, poke from here on out.

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
3/23/22 Edit: I added tire fitment columns. Measuring my own setup, I can now make estimates how other setups will fit, whether poke or tuck. Aesthetically, I'm not a fan of poke unless you're doing some serious off-roading. For a daily driver, keeping tires as close to flush or slightly tucked should help keep the body clean, help prevent curb contact and keep aerodynamics intact. My current setup was chosen with a winter wheel in mind where I'd like to stay as tucked as possible to reduce salt and sand from being sprayed on the body. However, it's slightly too tucked for other seasons and adjustments are coming with new setups to push things out just a little. I feel like the chart is complete and I'm not sure what other calculations I can add. I'll probably just add setups as time goes on.

·
Registered
325 hp / 400 lb⋅ft
207 Posts
I have a quick question about poke/tuck. If I were to get 17x8 wheels with a 35 offset (on 235/65/17 tires) - how much poke/tuck would you estimate there would be?

I tried using the chart to do the math myself but got lost a few steps in 😂

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I have a quick question about poke/tuck. If I were to get 17x8 wheels with a 35 offset (on 235/65/17 tires) - how much poke/tuck would you estimate there would be?

I tried using the chart to do the math myself but got lost a few steps in 😂
I need the specific tire model to calculate.

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I'm thinking Falken Wildpeak AT/3Ws (or maybe Falken Wildpeak Trails, not really sure on the differences)
I mentioned earlier in this thread that the 235/65/17 A/T3W are not the standard A/T3W. They are a watered down version, which explains their lightweight. However, for poke comparison (estimates):

FWP A/T3W Front: +13 mm, Rear +6 mm
FWP A/T Trail Front: +11 mm, Rear +3 mm
Nitto Nomad Grappler: +12 mm, Rear +5 mm

·
Registered
325 hp / 400 lb⋅ft
207 Posts
I mentioned earlier in this thread that the 235/65/17 A/T3W are not the standard A/T3W. They are a watered down version, which explains their lightweight. However, for poke comparison (estimates):

FWP A/T3W Front: +13 mm, Rear +6 mm
FWP A/T Trail Front: +11 mm, Rear +3 mm
Nitto Nomad Grappler: +12 mm, Rear +5 mm
Oh that's right, that was that one size where, because it was a stock tire for that truck, was made less robust than the usual. Weird, but thank you very much for the info!

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
If you want to go up to a 235/65 on a 17" wheel without poke, I'd suggest a 7.5" wheel width with a +45 mm offset or higher.

On a side note here are some poke reference points that my future setups should come out to that are not listed on the chart:

Summer: 17x8 +45, 225/65r17 Michelin PS4SUV: Front -1 mm, Rear -8 mm
Spring/Fall: 17x7.5 +44, 225/65r17 Falken WPATT: Front -2 mm, Rear -9 mm
Winter: 17x7 +45, 215/70r17 Bridgestone BDMV2: Front -11mm, Rear -18 mm

·
Registered
325 hp / 400 lb⋅ft
207 Posts
One thing I've been trying to find are wheels with some concavity to them. I discovered that they can be tough to find in 7" (because I guess some width is needed to create that effect).

So far the closest I've been able to find are 8" rims, which should fit a 235 but are wider than I was hoping for (and heavier I imagine, extra material). They often come with low offsets as well, which I personally don't mind if it's a small amount, extra dirtiness aside. I think the closest I could find in that area was a 40mm offset, but those particular ones it fell short in other areas for me (like overall weight and general aesthetics).

I've been eyeballing the AVID1 AV20s because they strike a pretty good balance for me, despite being a little heavier than the RPF1s. Why must I be so picky 🥲

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Yeah, we are pretty limited with concave options due to the width and high offset.... unless you wanna poke. Wider width and lower offset equals increased concave shape. I went down this debate road and for me it was best to prioritize categories.

1. Weight range, not to exceed stock.
2. Close to flush fitment without poke for Spring through Fall. Staying tucked in winter is ideal imo.
3. Best available timeless aesthetic after meeting criteria 1 and 2.

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus in Snowflake White Pearl
91 Posts
Hey @KuroCX30, could you plug in Falcon V2 17x8 wheels, ET +30 offset, (V2 - Matte Black 17x8) and the Nitto Nomad Grapplers in 225/65R17 (Nomad Grappler | Nitto Tire) into your chart to see what issues I'd have? Not sure if your spreadsheet is setup that way with formulas or you're manually inputting each point of data.

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
Hey @KuroCX30, could you plug in Falcon V2 17x8 wheels, ET +30 offset, (V2 - Matte Black 17x8) and the Nitto Nomad Grapplers in 225/65R17 (Nomad Grappler | Nitto Tire) into your chart to see what issues I'd have? Not sure if your spreadsheet is setup that way with formulas or you're manually inputting each point of data.
The 225/65r17 Nitto is a hair less in diameter than the Wildpeak Trail so I don't foresee any wheel well rub issues. The numbers come up similar to bayareamazda's fitment:

13 mm (0.67 in) poke in the front
6 mm (0.39 in) poke in the rear

The fitment is similar because your lower offset makes up the difference for bayareamazda's wider tires. Since you do a good amount of off road play, I'd say give it a go, a wider track can be helpful softroading.

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus in Snowflake White Pearl
91 Posts
I'm sure you guys have been seeing me liking your posts today, because I've been trying to dial in my setup and reading this thread over and over to understand what I'm getting into. I did order the Falcon V2 wheels linked above and wanted to be 100% sure of the tire size to go with them. As @KuroCX30 stated earlier, he'd suggest either 225/65R17 (more for off-road use) or the 215/65R17 (for ride comfort). I almost went with the 215, but out of curiosity I plugged in the CX-50 Meridian Edition wheel/tire of 225/60R18 rather than the stock CX-30 215/55R18 for comparison. Turns out the 225/65R17 is pretty close to same! So yeah, you'll be seeing a new set of shoes on my car in a few weeks now that I'm all set in what to get.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD Turbo - Build 3/21
32 Posts
So I ended up buying RTX OE Arai as I didn't want 18x8 to reduce chance of rubbing.
Wheel: Black RTX OE Arai
Specs: 082224: 18x7.5 5X114.3 ET: 45
This ended up 6mm in and out.

For black wheels they are fine, certainly not the best wheels. But the Michelin Pilot All Season 4 is freaking FANTASTIC. The ride is SO MUCH BETTER.

Reduced PSI to 34 all around because the load index is 101.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts