Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
I added new tires to Turbo CX-30.
Falken Wild Peaks A/T Trail.
On Stock Rims: 18 x 7"
Tire rim range spec: 6.5" - 8.5"
new tire size: 235/50/18
No rubbing or touching.
About 1/4" space remains between rear shock and tire inner wall
Thanks for sharing! You went with the same tires as Leon Marriott but on the stock wheel. This setup looks on the heavy side. Most owners report noticing more sluggish handling at +5 lb per corner and you're at +10 lb per corner. How does it feel to you?

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus
64 Posts
I did it mainly for the aesthetic appeal and I'm not one to drive around and test the limits of what that turbo can do.... From my perspective and driving around normally, I can't tell any difference but I can't tell the difference if I drive by myself or have someone in the car with me either.
Key1

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I did it mainly for the aesthetic appeal and I'm not one to drive around and test the limits of what that turbo can do.... From my perspective and driving around normally, I can't tell any difference but I can't tell the difference if I drive by myself or have someone in the car with me either.
Key1
Looks great! I doubt many test the limits. Any change in fuel economy or too soon to tell?

·
Registered
64 Posts
With your comment above about potential sluggishness..... I just took it out for an 8 mile round trip test drive to see if I could notice anything different with an effort to pay close attention. My speed varied between 25 and 50 mph as the top speed limits in most of my around the town driving never exceed 45 mph. I could not detect any sluggishness at all. I am probably not the right person to ask because at one point I let the fuel tank run down to almost empty then filled it up with 93 octane fuel, and I could not tell any difference in performance. Since then, I have been running only 87 octane fuel. The car feels really quick to me and accelerates really fast (to me) regardless of fuel octane level or due to these new tires. Fortunately the turbo has enough reserve power that if these things do slow it down, it is unnoticeable to me in my everyday driving habits.

Concerning mpg's. Most of the time I drive, it's around town with stop lights and stop signs and occasional highway via route one (which also has traffic lights) so my miles per gallon hover around 22 mpg's. I will monitor to see if that changes as the new tires just went on 5/13/22.

Key1

·
Registered
64 Posts
By the way can people generally feel the performance difference between 87 octane and 93 octane fuel?
EDIT:
Disregard Question: I found the answer here:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Today I went to the Mazda dealership to pick up wheel locks so I had the opportunity to go on an actual highway (no traffic lights) for about 10 minutes of my 30 minute (one way drive). During that time I had the opportunity to evaluate the new Falken Wildpeak tires at higher speeds. During my cruise at 83 mph for a few minutes I had the windows closed, vent off, and radio off so that I could really pay attention. Since traffic was so light during the time I was on the highway I experimented dropping down to 35 mph (in the slowest lane) then quickly accelerating up to 80. The bottom line is I detected no sluggishness at all.....just raw power :) . The growl of the engine was nice too. I know some people added mods to make the "growl" even better...I'm sure that sounds great! Also I heard no difference in tire noise than the stock tires (which was none that I noticed). So far I agree with the high ratings these tires received on TireRack.com . I can't wait to try them out in the snow.

Also my mpg's for the entire round trip was ~ 25mpg's . This included my around town stop and go time to get out of Princeton, and some highway driving along with some "Fun" ;).
Key1

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Today I went to the Mazda dealership to pick up wheel locks so I had the opportunity to go on an actual highway (no traffic lights) for about 10 minutes of my 30 minute (one way drive). During that time I had the opportunity to evaluate the new Falken Wildpeak tires at higher speeds. During my cruise at 83 mph for a few minutes I had the windows closed, vent off, and radio off so that I could really pay attention. Since traffic was so light during the time I was on the highway I experimented dropping down to 35 mph (in the slowest lane) then quickly accelerating up to 80. The bottom line is I detected no sluggishness at all.....just raw power :) . The growl of the engine was nice to. I know some people added mods to make the "growl" even better...I'm sure that sounds great! Also I heard no difference in tire noise than the stock tires (which was none that I noticed). So far I agree with the high ratings these tires received on TireRack.com . I can't wait to try them out in the snow.

Also my mpg's for the entire round trip was ~ 25mpg's . This included my around town stop and go time to get out of Princeton, and some highway driving along with some "Fun" ;).
Key1
Awesome, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i went with 235/50 wildpeaks on the stock wheels. Thinking about new rims in the near future. would there be any issues with a 18x8 +40mm? i saw someone on the chart has 18x8.5 +45mm had slight rub and i'm hoping to avoid that.

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
i went with 235/50 wildpeaks on the stock wheels. Thinking about new rims in the near future. would there be any issues with a 18x8 +40mm? i saw someone on the chart has 18x8.5 +45mm had slight rub and i'm hoping to avoid that.
There will be no rubbing issues with a 18x8 +40 combined with 235/50 wildpeaks. Excellent fitment in my opinion. Close to flush in front and a little tuck in the rear. What aftermarket 18x8 did you have in mind?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't see the Wildpeak Trails available in 255/45r18. I see them in 255/55r18. Are you referring to 255/55 Wildpeak Trails or a different tire in 255/45?
I see there are a few choices I could select from....if they are that wide I would not worry much about the aggressive look. I initially was thinking for the rear only then I read somewhere you cannot stagger if you have all-wheel drive so they would have to fit the front and the rear.

For 255/45/r18the offset would be plus 40

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
I see there are a few choices I could select from....if they are that wide I would not worry much about the aggressive look. I initially was thinking for the rear only then I read somewhere you cannot stagger if you have all-wheel drive so they would have to fit the front and the rear.

For 255/45/r18the offset would be plus 40
I would have to know which tire you are referring to in the 255/45 size as 255/45 is simply a category and specific measurements vary among all tire brands and models for a size category. How wide would the wheel be in this +40 offset?

I ran the numbers for the 255/55r18 Wildpeak Trail on a stock 18x7 +45 wheel. There would be slight rub in the front at full turn lock AND slight rub in the rear against the suspension. The rear could be remedied with a few mm of offset with some spacers. The front wouldn't be anything major either. 255 on a 7" wheel may actually allow the CX-30 to float on water. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would have to know which tire you are referring to in the 255/45 size as 255/45 is simply a category and specific measurements vary among all tire brands and models for a size category. How wide would the wheel be in this +40 offset?

I ran the numbers for the 255/55r18 Wildpeak Trail on a stock 18x7 +45 wheel. There would be slight rub in the front at full turn lock AND slight rub in the rear against the suspension. The rear could be remedied with a few mm of offset with some spacers. The front wouldn't be anything major either. 255 on a 7" wheel may actually allow the CX-30 to float on water. ;)
Thanks for that...I would go with an 8.5" wide wheel +40 offset. Probably Vredestein hypertrac all seasons.
I am surprised no one tried running 255 or 265mm wide tires though. I assumed it was due to rubbing or a reason like too much strain on the suspension or something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There will be no rubbing issues with a 18x8 +40 combined with 235/50 wildpeaks. Excellent fitment in my opinion. Close to flush in front and a little tuck in the rear. What aftermarket 18x8 did you have in mind?
I think I'm leaning towards Enkei T6R - Enkei Tuning T6R Gloss Black Painted (tirerack.com)
Are TireRack's weights accurate? I'm seeing 20.7 lbs there, but 29 on other sites - Enkei T6R 18x8 40 Gloss Black | 539-880-6540BK | Fitment Industries Enkei T6R Tuning Wheel - Gloss Gunmetal | Offfset.com

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 · (Edited)
I think I'm leaning towards Enkei T6R - Enkei Tuning T6R Gloss Black Painted (tirerack.com)
Are TireRack's weights accurate? I'm seeing 20.7 lbs there, but 29 on other sites - Enkei T6R 18x8 40 Gloss Black | 539-880-6540BK | Fitment Industries Enkei T6R Tuning Wheel - Gloss Gunmetal | Offfset.com
I don't trust the listed weight by retailers. It appears they may be weighing the wheel with the packaging. I would only trust the manufacturer's website. Enkei has a video where they weigh different sizes of this wheel, although they don't weigh the 18x8, but based on the other 3 that they weigh, you can estimate that it will be around 22 lb or less.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts