Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Enter your CX30 year, model and engine.
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share a mini review on the aspect I really like about this cars. For my job, I have the chance to drive test drive many cars, even high-level, and even did some real reviews in the past.

The driving dynamics of this car is one of the best I have ever experienced, so much that I eventually bought it.

First, the steering is absolutely precise, more than some hot hatches. I wonder if it really takes so much effort to make given how easily Mazda managed it. Second, the suspension is brilliant. I know the rear is a simple layout, but man, if you prepare the corner well and nail the exit, you barely get any roll even on the track. And in the hard turns it's really limited. Once you push it really hard, the rear comes alive a bit, which is reported as a bad thing by media but being a car fan, oversteer should be (almost) always welcomed.

I think this car really shows the difference between "harsh" and "sporty". Today, many cars are just harsh (hard suspension, big rims) to give an illusion of precision. And people are led to mix up the two things. If you think of a race car of the 70's, yes it was soft, but was also substantially sporty. The CX-30 handling (as the 3) is a hell lot of substance. I had an Alfa Romeo classic, and this is what Alfa Romeo should be now.

In addition, I totally love that the 2.0 litre petrol feels like a 2.0 litre petrol, while in Europe we are plagued by diesel-like turbos that make you shift after 2.000 rpm. Again, I think people got so used to them that lost the touch for what was a sporty engine. Coming from a 1.5 BMW turbo, it had all better figures than the Mazda, but it was not nearly as rewarding to push, rev, chase the power in the high range. Again, similar to a 2.0 Alfa. For a fan, it's the reward of performance, not the performance itself. In addition, the manual gearbox is unbelievable. By far the most impressive I have ever came across, slides between gears like butter, with even better ratios than the 3.

Bottom line, probably it won't last long, because the plug is coming, but long live to this thing, for now.

·
Registered
2020 CX30 Touring, Vision, SnowflakeWhitePearl
41 Posts
Just a small note to add, I find my CX30 performs exceptionally in wet conditions. Occasionally I don't even notice a handling difference when the road is reasonably wet in comparison to other cars I have driven. I've still got the stock 18" Bridgestone tyres my CX30 was sold with in Australia.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.