Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2021 cx-30 2.5l AWD Turbo premium package
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to beat the seasonal rush and swap out my Turanzas for a set of all weather rubber. Still suffering from Paralysis by Analysis, there's just a boat load of data out on the interwebs.
Anyway, I decided to go with the Michelin CrossClimate2. It should be enough for city driving, and occasional snow belt forays here in WNY. I just didn't want to continue to deal with the swapping of winters for summers...it get's old (like me).
I vacillated back and forth between the Michelin, and the Vredestein QuatroPro, Firestone WeatherGrip, as well as the Cooper Discoverer Enduramax.
I've had good fortune in the past with Michelins, hopefully my luck holds on this purchase.

And then there's the paint protection issue. Yeah, I'm gonna breakdown and get the Expel paint protection film, full front end wrap, as well as ceramic coating the entire beast. Not an inexpensive upgrade is it???
I'm taking it to an installer who comes highly recommended. He had enough high end exotics being worked on, that I felt comfortable allowing him to work on my "luxury on a budget" wheels. Won't be able to get my steed in for the work until late September.

Merry Christmas to me...

·
Registered
21 cx30 premium awd
124 Posts
Had you considered continental dws tires? I had them on a prior vehicle snd they were great in snow and wet for all season tires.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had you considered continental dws tires? I had them on a prior vehicle snd they were great in snow and wet for all season tires.
It seems that this tire is not available in the 215/55r18 configuration.

That said, I hadn't looked into the ultra high performance category, so I skipped a whole class of tires.

I used three different sources to enter my search parameters, and none of them went into the ultra high performance entries.

Just as well, I don't need more of an excuse to surpass my limitations behind the wheel...lol!

·
Registered
2021 CX-30
27 Posts
Down the Thruway from you in central New York. Went through last winter with the Bridgestones. No issues.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Down the Thruway from you in central New York. Went through last winter with the Bridgestones. No issues.
Now in CNY, I probably would have gone with dedicated winter tires. Traveling up and down 81 can be an adventure, especially up around Central Square...oye!

·
Premium Member
2021 CX-30 S 2.5L white/black
270 Posts
I'm looking at the Firestone Destination LE3. They are almost as good in wet, dry and winter scores and a good bit higher on noise performance. Being in a south suburb of Houston sound performance is priority one. We do get our blizzards though, about once a decade, sometimes as much as a whole inch of snow.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking at the Firestone Destination LE3. They are almost as good in wet, dry and winter scores and a good bit higher on noise performance. Being in a south suburb of Houston sound performance is priority one. We do get our blizzards though, about once a decade, sometimes as much as a whole inch of snow.
Y'all can enjoy that 1" of snow.

Again, here's another tire not offered in the 215/55r18 config. What size did you go to?

And I didn't search using the SUV/Light Truck filter at Tire Rack. Funny, I did use that for my RAV4, but not for the cx-30. I don't think of the cx-30 in the same light as that class of SUV.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Mine is the S with 215/65/16 tires which the LE3 offers. I haven't done anything as I can't bring myself to throw out new Bridgestone tires even if they are inferior.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine is the S with 215/65/16 tires which the LE3 offers. I haven't done anything as I can't bring myself to throw out new Bridgestone tires even if they are inferior.
I can understand the reticence to just dumping the old tires. I'm hopeful of getting something for my as a trade in. I mean they've only got 300 miles on them...

But, there's no way in hell I'm driving on those things this coming winter!

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Premium Polymetal Gray Metallic
115 Posts
I’ve had my CX-30 since Dec. 2020, so two winters driving in Jamestown, NY. I haven’t had any problems with the Bridgestone‘s but I’m retired so I can choose when and where I drive in the winter.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I tried the local Firestone and one other. I'm going to try Discount Tire also. If they won't allow some for them I'll just have to pretend to like them for a year or two.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve had my CX-30 since Dec. 2020, so two winters driving in Jamestown, NY. I haven’t had any problems with the Bridgestone‘s but I’m retired so I can choose when and where I drive in the winter.
When I bought my Rav4, I stayed with the OEM tires...Geolanders if I remember correctly. They were shite in every aspect, but especially in the snow. I went to dedicated winter tires well into my ownership experience, and it definitely made a big difference. I just hated the pain in the ass of swapping the damn things out seasonally, not to mention the storage factor.

Like you, I'm retired. But Buffalo, being Buffalo, you never know when the city get's around to plowing. Upgrading to all weather is a nice security blanket just in case they decide not to get to my side street for a week or two.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried the local Firestone and one other. I'm going to try Discount Tire also. If they won't allow some for them I'll just have to pretend to like them for a year or two.
Heh...

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Premium Polymetal Gray Metallic
115 Posts
Like you, I'm retired. But Buffalo, being Buffalo, you never know when the city get's around to plowing. Upgrading to all weather is a nice security blanket just in case they decide not to get to my side street for a week or two.
I understand. I actually live in the “suburbs” of Jamestown and the streets get blowed hourly if necessary which I certainly can’t say is the case for residential areas in Jamestown proper.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally got the new shoes on the beast:

Definitely a different feel to the road with these on.

So far it's all city miles. They're quiet, and absorbs the road bumps much better than the Turanzas.

I really like the look of them!

·
Registered
'21 CX-30 2.5 Sky G Pref AWD Red
157 Posts
Finally got the new shoes on the beast:

View attachment 2725

Definitely a different feel to the road with these on.

So far it's all city miles. They're quiet, and absorbs the road bumps much better than the Turanzas.

I really like the look of them!
Looks very aggressive. Is that the Michelin? Surprised a tread like that is smoother/quieter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks very aggressive. Is that the Michelin? Surprised a tread like that is smoother/quieter.
These are the Michelin CrossClimate2.

Most of the reviews of this tire have been complimentary of its ride, and sound. There are a few outliers that say they're noisy, especially at highway speeds, but by in large it gets high marks for the above...considering its an "all weather tire".

Most people are surprised by the fact that, even with the aggressive look, that it's quiet. There are a few videos by Tire Rack that delve into the construction of this tire. They're illuminating to say the least.

I'll be a longer road trip Sunday next, mainly I-90 to Cleveland, so I'll have a better feel for noise and comfort.

Cannot wait to get them on a wet road...and really excited to see them perform in snow.

·
Registered
21 cx30 premium awd
124 Posts
These are the Michelin CrossClimate2.

Most of the reviews of this tire have been complimentary of its ride, and sound. There are a few outliers that say they're noisy, especially at highway speeds, but by in large it gets high marks for the above...considering its an "all weather tire".

Most people are surprised by the fact that, even with the aggressive look, that it's quiet. There are a few videos by Tire Rack that delve into the construction of this tire. They're illuminating to say the least.

I'll be a longer road trip Sunday next, mainly I-90 to Cleveland, so I'll have a better feel for noise and comfort.

Cannot wait to get them on a wet road...and really excited to see them perform in snow.
Interested. Keep us posted...years back i had a tread design similar to that on a set of good years....they were quiet , too but as they wore the tire roar at speed was intolerable and i switched them out for a set of dws contis.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Those are rated so much higher than the Turanzas they aren't in the same universe. Right now I'd go with those or Firestone Destination LE3 if I were getting new tires.

·
Registered
'21 CX-30 2.5 Sky G Pref AWD Red
157 Posts
Those are rated so much higher than the Turanzas they aren't in the same universe. Right now I'd go with those or Firestone Destination LE3 if I were getting new tires.
I had the LE2s on my AWD Magnum. No complaints and would definitely consider the LE 3 which is supposed to be even better when the Turanzas are worn out. But the Destination is an all-season. Not a winter tire like the Crossclimate.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts