Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 CX-30 S 2.5L white/black
270 Posts
The Crossclimate is a Grand Touring All Season according to TireRack, not a winter tire. It scores well on winter performance but isn't a winter tire like Blizzaks and others.

·
Registered
2021 cx-30 2.5l AWD Turbo premium package
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The Crossclimate is a Grand Touring All Season according to TireRack, not a winter tire. It scores well on winter performance but isn't a winter tire like Blizzaks and others.
To be exact, it's an "all weather" tire. The distinction being that it is more capable of handling winter weather than any "all season" tire.

I'm willing to give it a go here in WNY. Unless one is in the "snow belt" locals, this should handle most every condition I'd be willing to drive in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Did you stay with the stock tire size or did you go a little wider? They do look nice and also have a excellent rating.
I stayed stock. I'd need more data before I'd change up the numbers. Perhaps that type of information will be available in the next year or two as more CX-30s are on the road in the Northern Climes.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
To be exact, it's an "all weather" tire. The distinction being that it is more capable of handling winter weather than any "all season" tire.

I'm willing to give it a go here in WNY. Unless one is in the "snow belt" locals, this should handle most every condition I'd be willing to drive in.
I was just going by how TireRack described it. Being in a south suburb of Houston we only get winter blizzards about once a decade. Not too bad usually but sometimes up to a whole inch of snow. And sometimes it lasts for a whole 24 hours. Makes it tough walking to school. Uphill. Both ways. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I was just going by how TireRack described it. Being in a south suburb of Houston we only get winter blizzards about once a decade. Not too bad usually but sometimes up to a whole inch of snow. And sometimes it lasts for a whole 24 hours. Makes it tough walking to school. Uphill. Both ways. :)
You are correct, Tire Rack puts this tire in the "all season" category. If you clink onto the link for the tire itself, you'll see the "3 Peak" symbol in the thumbnail at the top of the page denoting that's it is, in fact, an "all weather" tire.

I would imagine that as more tires are manufactured for this category, Tire Rack will break them out from the "all seasons".

I bet theses tires would really dig through your humidity though 🤣

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
It's usually 6x% humidity but once it a while it will go as high as 8x%. At those times I almost feel like we could hydroplane on the humidity.

I've seen that symbol. Another forum I follow has several members in the UK. They have some interesting tire specs and measurements over there. It's interesting when they get talking about tires.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Michelin CrossContact update:

So, I put about 360 miles on the beast today. Buffalo to Cleveland and back to attend a memorial service for a childhood friend, via I-90.

Weather was supposed to be rainy, but the clouds just glowered until I hit the PA line. I had dry roads the whole way. I would have loved to had a chance to drive on these tires in the rain. I'm sure I'll get that chance before too long.

I averaged 30+ mpg down and back, speeds varied from high 60s / low 70s in NYS, to low 60s in PA (traffic was going 40mph around Erie, wtf is with that), and Ohio was close to 80mph until the outskirts of Cleveland's eastern suburbs.

NYS roads were quiet, most of PAs were as well. I thought Ohio's roads would be noisy, as they're mostly concrete, but again, the tires were quiet.

The tires were quiet the whole way save a very short stretch just past Erie on the way down, and just before Erie on the way back...IT.WAS.LOUD. I can't explain what it was that made the difference. The road surface seemed to be consistent, meaning the road didn't go from asphalt to concrete, smooth to grooved...very odd, but extremely noticeable.

As an aside, I found the ride very comfortable. I'm 6'3", and am prone to sciatica in my left leg if I'm sitting for any length of time. No hip pain, no back pain, no pain radiating down the leg. It's an wonderfully comfortable cockpit to operate out of. The arm rests hit just the right spot for how I set up the seat.

I'll come back to this posting once I get some wet weather driving, as well as Snow Belt extra circulars.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Premium, AWD, 2.5L, Non-Turbo in Sonic Silver Metallic
7 Posts
I decided to beat the seasonal rush and swap out my Turanzas for a set of all weather rubber. Still suffering from Paralysis by Analysis, there's just a boat load of data out on the interwebs.
Anyway, I decided to go with the Michelin CrossClimate2. It should be enough for city driving, and occasional snow belt forays here in WNY. I just didn't want to continue to deal with the swapping of winters for summers...it get's old (like me).
I vacillated back and forth between the Michelin, and the Vredestein QuatroPro, Firestone WeatherGrip, as well as the Cooper Discoverer Enduramax.
I've had good fortune in the past with Michelins, hopefully my luck holds on this purchase.

And then there's the paint protection issue. Yeah, I'm gonna breakdown and get the Expel paint protection film, full front end wrap, as well as ceramic coating the entire beast. Not an inexpensive upgrade is it???
I'm taking it to an installer who comes highly recommended. He had enough high end exotics being worked on, that I felt comfortable allowing him to work on my "luxury on a budget" wheels. Won't be able to get my steed in for the work until late September.

Merry Christmas to me...
I also went with the CrossClimate2’s. Live in the mountains in Western North Carolina and travel to Rochester, NY at any time of the year. Here’s a comparison of stock tires & CrossClimate2. Traded my tires in at Discount Tires and got them for $550 out the door.

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Handwriting

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I wanted to swap tires but none of the tire shops around here will take the Bridgestones in trade.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts