Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to my fellow CX30 owners and car enthusiasts.

A bit about myself, I purchased CX-30 4 months ago, I’m also a new to Mazda. The CX-30 takes over as my new DD and joins my weekend car my FBO tuned E85 2011 Lexus IS-F that I’ve owed for 11years and my wife’s 2019 Lexus RX350. Recently I sold my 2008 E92 M3 and my 2018 Mustang GT for nice down payment on my new weekend toy 2LT C8 Corvette, still waiting for it, currently 12 more months to go hopefully.

As you can see I’m big car enthusiast and when it came down to getting a new DD it had to be a drivers car something I would enjoy driving,have style and be reliable. And the CX-30 checked off all the boxes. The more I drove CX 30 the more I came to appreciate what CX 30 brings to table. I didn’t realize how much I would enjoy driving CX 30 I’ve been pleasantly surprised.

I have done some changes to CX 30, first up were OEM tires they were major let down. After checking some helpful post here I went with 235/55/18 tire I mounted them on IS-F winter rims black Focal 18x8, 5 x 114 bolt patten, 7 spoke rims, 40 offset they weigh 2lbs less than stock rims just change hub ring to proper size to fit CX 30 as well as new more aggressive brake pads. I’ll be starting a new thread on new rims and tires setup. Painted calipers, chrome delete on front grill,around windows etc. wet sanding and polishing black cladding. New K&N high follow drop in air filter.Add spare tire sub woofer by Rockville it’s RockGhost 8in powered sub. I’ll post up detail, DIY of were I found remote start and what I used to tap into that location. It will include pics and DIY instructions on all mods I’ve done so far.

Looking forward to hearing from other CX 30 owners.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice job, and a NICE selection of cars !
Thanks, I really enjoy driving CX 30. Changing tires with better dry and wet grip as well more comfortable tire over poor roads have made huge difference. Especially in handling department, I can push even harder now on back roads.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wet-sanding and polishing the black cladding is SUPER interesting. I haven’t heard of anyone else doing that. Kudos.

With a Lexus, a BMW, and a C8 Corvette (pending), I’m surprised you didn’t spring for the turbo premium. The turbo puts the CX-30 in a different class from the non-turbo and the 12-Bose audio system is really nice (a huge advance over the 9-speaker Bose system in my previous 2016 Mazda 3).

Did you paint your calipers silver? If not, then that’s not shown in your photos.

I’ve had my Turbo Premium for two weeks and so far I’ve finished;
  • Chrome Delete (grill, window trim, roof rails).
  • Paint Protection Film on full hood and front bumper.
  • Tinted front emblem, headlights, turn-signals, and center brake light.
  • Bright yellow brake calipers (filled and smoothed).
  • High-gloss carbon fiber vinyl wrap on rear spoiler.
  • Carbon fiber vinyl wrap on door switch panels.
  • Hyperdip liftgate badges (‘Piano Black’).

Still on my To-Do list for the car are:
  • Paint Protection Film on roof, A-pillars, and doors.
  • Carbon fiber vinyl on front spoiler and side sills.
  • Gloss black vinyl on driver & passenger doors (interior B-pillar area).
  • Tint on rear bumper reflectors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wet-sanding and polishing the black cladding is SUPER interesting. I haven’t heard of anyone else doing that. Kudos.

With a Lexus, a BMW, and a C8 Corvette (pending), I’m surprised you didn’t spring for the turbo premium. The turbo puts the CX-30 in a different class from the non-turbo and the 12-Bose audio system is really nice (a huge advance over the 9-speaker Bose system in my previous 2016 Mazda 3).

Did you paint your calipers silver? If not, then that’s not shown in your photos.

• Hyperdip liftgate badges (piano black).

Similar set up as my CX30 interesting. Actually it’s two Lexus vehicles, I sold my 2008 M3 along with Mustang GT and I don’t have C8 as of yet it’s been order. I don’t needed CX 30 turbo, why spend extra money on something I don’t need. My CX 30 is DD it’s used to go to Home Depot, grocery shopping running errands locally. The RX350 and ISF both have more hp than CX 30 Turbo. Now if CX 30 turbo had 300hp 350tq now that I would consider buying.

It’s not power that impressed me with this platform, it’s drivability of CX30. The CX30 is great handling small to midsize cross over. I live in Westchester County NY north of NYC there are some great back roads in Westchester and that’s were it shines.

If calipers were painted then I would have posted pics of them. I cleaned up calipers by grinding of all excess material when they were casted and smooth them out. They were then sprayed with high heat primer made for calipers to protect them while I wait for one more item before they are painted.

The Bose system sounds good but for price you can do better with aftermarket. Morel speakers and Rockville Ghost powered sub sound great.

Not fan of fake Carbon Fiber vinyl on exterior parts no matter the company 3M, Avery or Vivid. None of them look like real Carbon Fiber. There is no vinyl Carbon Fiber that can not capture the depth that 3D effect of Gloss Carbon Fiber or Dry Carbon Fiber.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not fan of fake Carbon Fiber vinyl on exterior parts no matter the company 3M, Avery or Vivid. None of them look like real Carbon Fiber. There is no vinyl Carbon Fiber that can not capture the depth that 3D effect of Gloss Carbon Fiber or Dry Carbon Fiber.
Actually, "Tinybot Gloss 6D Carbon Fiber Black" is extremely realistic-looking with 3D depth. Then again, like most gloss faux carbon fiber vinyl, it's a multi-layer product which can separate at the edges allowing air and/or water under the clear cap which screws up the appearance of the product. For something simple like a hood, one could use 3M Clear Edge Sealer Tape (#8914 for gloss wraps in this case) but the delamination issue is why I went with "VVIVID+ PLUS Tek R Gloss Carbon Fiber Black" (new for 2022, this is not the older XPO-series product) which is fully fused together. But, yeah, the Vvivid+ PLUS Tek R isn't going to fool many people into thinking it's real carbon fiber (it's also not as dark as I'd like).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

[/QUOTE

• Tint on rear bumper reflector

One of reasons I don’t need CX30 Turbo
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Blue Grille

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Speedometer Trip computer Vehicle Gauge Tachometer

Speedometer Flight instruments Gauge Odometer Vehicle

Car Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Vehicle Car Grille Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, "Tinybot Gloss 6D Carbon Fiber Black" is extremely realistic-looking with 3D depth. Then again, like most gloss faux carbon fiber vinyl, it's a multi-layer product which can separate at the edges allowing air and/or water under the clear cap which screws up the appearance of the product. For something simple like a hood, one could use 3M Clear Edge Sealer Tape (#8914 for gloss wraps in this case) but the delamination issue is why I went with "VVIVID+ PLUS Tek R Gloss Carbon Fiber Black" (new for 2022, this is not the older XPO-series product) which is fully fused together. But, yeah, the Vvivid+ PLUS Tek R isn't going to fool many people into thinking it's real carbon fiber (it's also not as dark as I'd like).
On small interior part you could use any of above name vinyl’s, to great effect. But it’s when you get to large exterior parts such as hoods, front spoilers, rear diffuser etc that’s when it stands out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very nice Lexus ISF! Quite rare where I live. I've only ever seen one.
Thank you, yes they are rare only 11,000 we’re built worldwide with USA receiving 5100 ISF. I’ve owned my 2011 ISF for 11yrs now since it was new and it runs flawlessly. Just general maintenance.

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 AWD, Carbon Edition (CE)
234 Posts
The extra blacked-out trim & black wheels just makes the CX-30 (of any color) look so much better IMO. Shame that Mazda didn't do more of this at the factory build level.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The extra blacked-out trim & black wheels just makes the CX-30 (of any color) look so much better IMO. Shame that Mazda didn't do more of this at the factory build level.
I agree that the blacked-out look is preferable. However, Mazda has stated their intention as targeting the luxury and near-luxury market segments. No manual transmission, no top-end hit of power, no stiff track suspension, and...no racey, blacked-out look. I get it. I'm pretty sure I would have made the same decision if I was in charge of their global marketing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Agreed, Mazda should offer Black Edition blacked out window trim and all chrome

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I agree that the blacked-out look is preferable. However, Mazda has stated their intention as targeting the luxury and near-luxury market segments. No manual transmission, no top-end hit of power, no stiff track suspension, and...no racey, blacked-out look. I get it. I'm pretty sure I would have made the same decision if I was in charge of their global marketing.
Interesting since Mercedes AMG, BMW M and Audi RS Porsche all have cars that have Black trim as well as Carbon Fiber exterior and interior parts. All of these companies are luxury brands, you can even order these Components on non performance models. I haven’t seen any statement from Mazda regarding black trim on their vehicles, and how Mazda feels black trim doesn’t fit their push to become luxury brand. If there is article regarding this please enlighten us with it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Interesting since Mercedes AMG, BMW M and Audi RS Porsche all have cars that have Black trim as well as Carbon Fiber exterior and interior parts…
Mazda (small as they are) is wanting to increase their brand caché against Mercedes, BMW, and Audi as a path to growth and higher profits They may eventually go after the sportier Mercedes AMG, BMW M-series, Audi RS, and Porsche market also but that’s not yet the case.

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 AWD, Carbon Edition (CE)
234 Posts
Agreed, Mazda should offer Black Edition blacked out window trim and all chrome
The 2022 CX-5 Carbon Edition actually has the factory-standard blacked out front grill trim, though the lower window trim is still silver. Mazda could have at least been consistent with their Carbon Edition looks/goodies & done that for the CX-30, but no. I originally had planned to buy the 2022 CX-5 CE or Premium, but it was a bit too large for my taste in-person, & the dealership had just received their first 2022 CX-30 Carbon Edition (which was the perfect size for my tastes). So, here I am after that quick pivot.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts