Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021, CX-30 Grand Touring FWD Dark Gray
46 Posts
No one have answered the question I posted earlier. The security light is blinking even when the car is standing unlocked in the garage. Per manual it should be blinking only when the car is locked and it indicates that the security system is active. To me it makes no sense at all -- there is no need to have security system running when the car is unlocked. I think this blinking is an indirect indication of the software bug(s) with the car failing to go to sleep mode and this in turn would explain the problem mentioned by OP and I have this exact issue too. The warning indicates clearly that the car did not go to sleep and the battery is discharging. I think the other TSBs may be of a similar nature but not the same problem that I have.

Would anyone care to post whether they have the same issue in their 2021 CX-30 -- the security light is blinking when the car is unlocked and the engine is not running?

Thanks!
Mine does that too---after a little while when I am inside the car--even though I have the key with me...And I agree with you, if we have the key--this warning shouldn't be blinking. Common sense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Others wrote on the similar note and I second this -- while the car drives great, I don't feel comfortable with the company pushing untested products on the market.
The original issue and the one I described (not to mix with the other annoyances and issues mentioned in his thread) appears to be easy to reproduce and happens 100% of the time.
Even if the third parties are responsible for the subcomponents / software it is Mazda responsibility to do the proper integration testing.
The issue is so simple and they clearly did not do their testing.

I was considering trading the other car to CX-5 and this issue stopped me dead in the tracks.

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
438 Posts
Others wrote on the similar note and I second this -- while the car drives great, I don't feel comfortable with the company pushing untested products on the market.
The original issue and the one I described (not to mix with the other annoyances and issues mentioned in his thread) appears to be easy to reproduce and happens 100% of the time.
Even if the third parties are responsible for the subcomponents / software it is Mazda responsibility to do the proper integration testing.
The issue is so simple and they clearly did not do their testing.

I was considering trading the other car to CX-5 and this issue stopped me dead in the tracks.
Let us hope that the recent recall about battery drain issues has resolved this. Be very interesting to know if members who HAVE had the update still experience these issues... :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select, Deep Crystal Blue Mica
4 Posts
Me too with a dead battery, since load tested by dealer OK. I had turned off the auto door locking feature and keep my keys just inside my apartment door, not 10 feet away fro the front of the car. Relevance you say? Well, the service tech said that some modules in the car stay awake by design "because the car thinks you're not done with it". OK, I'll reset the auto-lock. We also agreed the key also may be keeping some stuff alive, so I'll leave them (spare too) further away from the car. Hope this helps me and you...

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Polymetal grey GT Sport Tech Skyactiv G auto
15 Posts
I haven't actually had a flat battery, but I do keep getting the battery warning message and beeping. It's not because of the keys because I have turned off the spare and I keep the main one in a faraday bag. What seems to set it off most is when I'm doing something in the car and the door is left open for more than a couple of minutes. This is without having the ignition on and everything is off including interior lights. The dealership have looked at it and said battery is fine and the software update is not applicable to mine because its too new and update was already included on mine from new. They are saying its just a normal feature and that the car is just reminding me that I could be draining power, NOT that my battery is about to die. They said they would ask Mazda if there was a fix, but I never heard anything back, so I guess not. I wouldn't really mind this if just did a couple of beeps, but it goes on for about twenty seconds or so. Also once its gone off it keeps doing it everytime I go into the car until its been driven again. Not the worst problem I guess, but just an annoyance!

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
50 Posts
Mine does that too---after a little while when I am inside the car--even though I have the key with me...And I agree with you, if we have the key--this warning shouldn't be blinking. Common sense.
Until something goes wrong and the car won't start, maybe not even communicate to the scan tool. Then that blinking theft light gives the technician a subtle little clue about where the problem can be and where it cannot helping to narrow the technicians focus in order to solve the problem just a little faster.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Preferred AWD, sonic silver
14 Posts
I got a similar answer from my dealership. They may be satisfied with this answer, but I am not.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Well John and DigitalDoc--From my own limited computer operational education--the way the cars (or anything) are made now--we really need not those little blinking indicators. All microprocessor controllled devices stores an event log--all of them. In this event log, it is registered everything that creates an error or output, in our case--we want to see what created the low battery warning....I am sure someone amongst Mazda knows---it is just that they are not telling us. If I had a way to connect into the Main Micro--we should be able to tell exactly what has happened and why too.

I just read in one of the blogs --the fact that I am reading so many of them now--it is driving me crazy as I need to document who said what and where--that one of the CX-30 owners have been jump started four times already--that is not good at all. What was interesting was the note about one of those times was at the drive-in theater. There is something we can argue/discuss/address with Mazda Japan, once we get a hold of someone there. So,now we can not listen to the movie for 2 hours because we kill the battery? That is not right, really. If you remember, all Audio in Drive In Theaters is provided to you through FM transmission and you MUST use your car FM radio to listen to it. So, yes, you must have your ACC on in order to do so.

I am really curious if anyone has taken the time to:
1) Document this type event to gather more specific details--such as:
a) How does the warning shows up?
b) In my own case--I saw it right away while I was cleaning the inside of my car--in my first time I cleaned my car. I never take my cars to car wash places--I consider that my job and I really enjoy
finding all the nooks and cranies of my car. As well as noticing if I get a nick or dent somewhere....I do like to clean my baby myself...it is a good excercise. When I saw the warning, started
the car and continued cleaning, just to be safe.
c) I was able to hear few beeps or bells and some funny noises while I was washing close by the right side mirror. Had no idea what caused it. Funny--now that I am writing this, I dont recall now
if the car was running or not when I heard these noises.....humm.
d) Some are finding the warning after they leave their car parked from one day to another. My question to them is: Is there a lot of traffic around their vehicles while it is parked? I am guessing the
car sensors are actually working and are causing them to activate something and that is draining the battery, somehow. While in real life--these sensors should not be operational if we are not
driving the car. These cars do have many "things" or older cars never had---that is the huge difference.

2) I wonder if anyone is keeping a tab as to how many of us are having this warning come up in our vehicle. That would be a good number to keep an eye or a tally....logged by VIN number.

3) How many have lost battery charge altogether--and have already taken car to dealer and what dealer had done for them--

4) I wonder if dealer is keeping a tab as to how many CX-30 owners are coming in and/or calling to report their "lost battery power" and reporting that to Mazda Japan.

At the end, numbers are what is the allmighty important detail if we want someone to pay attention to us....or, like few of us, not willing to go throught this ordeal and they simply give up and return their vehicles--when their dealers are gracious or willing to do so. I do not like it--but I still love my car--I am willing to go through whatever in order to find root cause and get solution to this dilemma. All problems in life have a solution--we just have to be patient to wait until we find it.

I was able to confirm CX-30 owners from europe (Spain) are also having same issue. I told them to update their software too. See if that helps somehow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had turned off the auto door locking feature and keep my keys just inside my apartment door, not 10 feet away fro the front of the car. Relevance you say? Well, the service tech said that some modules in the car stay awake by design "because the car thinks you're not done with it".
Saying that another way is "there are modules that sleep with one eye open". In order for functions like the keyless remote control to work something has to be able to accept that command from the key and then wake up other modules to carry out the command that has been given. This isn't new because we have had cars with key fobs for a long time now.

It makes sense to ask the question, "could where the key fob is at cause the problem?" The answer to that or at least part of the answer is easy to prove. Lock the car and put the key fob where you want to store it. Now go back to the car without it and see if the car will unlock when you grab the door handle. If it unlocks, that only means the car can talk to it IF it tries to. ( It needs the door handle input to try) If the door does not unlock then the key is far enough away that the car cannot access it.

Give it a try and see what it does.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well John and DigitalDoc--From my own limited computer operational education--the way the cars (or anything) are made now--we really need not those little blinking indicators. All microprocessor controllled devices stores an event log--all of them. In this event log, it is registered everything that creates an error or output, in our case--we want to see what created the low battery warning....I am sure someone amongst Mazda knows---it is just that they are not telling us. If I had a way to connect into the Main Micro--we should be able to tell exactly what has happened and why too.

2) I wonder if anyone is keeping a tab as to how many of us are having this warning come up in our vehicle. That would be a good number to keep an eye or a tally....logged by VIN number.

3) How many have lost battery charge altogether--and have already taken car to dealer and what dealer had done for them--

4) I wonder if dealer is keeping a tab as to how many CX-30 owners are coming in and/or calling to report their "lost battery power" and reporting that to Mazda Japan.

I do not like it--but I still love my car--I am willing to go through whatever in order to find root cause and get solution to this dilemma.

All problems in life have a solution--we just have to be patient to wait until we find it.
Lot's of great thoughts there OERA1. I can answer most of them even without my CX ever having given me the warning. I am actively watching my car to see how it responds to usage trends and from the time I reported the other day that the battery was down to 50% SOC ( state of charge) a trip of about an hour with two restarts resulted in the SOC coming back up to 90%.

Today the manufacturers know every time the technicians connect a scan tool to the vehicle and they get a list of codes and snapshot data (if available) from every module on the car. Some modules code for problems like low system voltage at a higher threshold than others ( e.g. Power Steering, Anti-lock brakes, Airbag). Combine that with operation codes that the technicians have to put into their repair order information such as the low voltage warning on the dash and that creates a searchable database. So they are well aware of how many drivers are experiencing issues.

Consider that this low voltage warning is a battery protection level alert, which might also be part of a load shedding strategy. The BCM typically will store how many of these events have occurred and that data is easily retrievable with the factory and most professional level scan tools. The data would also include the date and time today. While Mazda is their own company they are highly influenced by Ford and Toyota. The keyless entry for example is all Toyota technology and I can tell you step by step exactly what happens (which modules wake up and carry out a given function and how the system behaves if a fault occurs at any point, that BTW is why I know what the security light flashing means versus if it isn't flashing whether it is on or off steadily) The reason it's important to mention that some of this is Toyota technology is in their models I can access and tell you how many times someone clicked the door unlock command button on the FOB three months ago. (One push means open the drivers door, two pushes means open all of the doors)

There are times that a customers usage habits directly cause the battery to deplete to a low state of charge. In a car without a system to alert them they get no feedback and only know that they have a dead battery every few months and maybe replace the battery each year. Put them in a car with a smart charging system and they get these alerts and easily end up on a forum like this. If the car isn't broken there is nothing anyone can do to "fix it". While a number of owners reporting the depleted battery are experiencing a legitimate issue and the software update mentioned in other responses is a solution for them we also have to consider there are likely to be several more groups. One group not experiencing any issues at all, another group that is having issues for reasons other than parasitic loads, and yet another group that have parasitic loads causing problems but there is no commonality between them and any other vehicle.

I'll be heading to my shop momentarily. I'll do another battery test and then go key on and directly measure how much time and current was pulled from the battery until I get the low battery warning. Then I will retest the battery and see what the SOC i]has been pulled down to.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Thank you John...what is the killer here--is the fact that we get a warning for something we usually should be able to do without worries to lose our battery...that is all. I love warning events, in fact, without them, we are toasted. However--I haven't risk not starting my engine when I get these warnings--just to "see" if in fact, it depletes my battery or not. I think--that is what we all fear...to be stranded with a brand new vehicle--and all I did was simply washed and/or cleaned it. That is not right. I will wash my car today--let's see how it behaves. Hope the SU fixed my issue.

·
Administrator
438 Posts
I am really curious if anyone has taken the time to:
1) Document this type event to gather more specific details--such as:
a) How does the warning shows up?
b) In my own case--I saw it right away while I was cleaning the inside of my car--in my first time I cleaned my car. I never take my cars to car wash places--I consider that my job and I really enjoy
finding all the nooks and cranies of my car. As well as noticing if I get a nick or dent somewhere....I do like to clean my baby myself...it is a good excercise. When I saw the warning, started
the car and continued cleaning, just to be safe.
c) I was able to hear few beeps or bells and some funny noises while I was washing close by the right side mirror. Had no idea what caused it. Funny--now that I am writing this, I dont recall now
if the car was running or not when I heard these noises.....humm.
d) Some are finding the warning after they leave their car parked from one day to another. My question to them is: Is there a lot of traffic around their vehicles while it is parked? I am guessing the
car sensors are actually working and are causing them to activate something and that is draining the battery, somehow. While in real life--these sensors should not be operational if we are not
driving the car. These cars do have many "things" or older cars never had---that is the huge difference.

Happy to run a table on this thread - or better still a separate thread in the Complaints section. Just have to agree the format of the log and what it needs to contain. I'm busy right now but I'll start a two-post thread to log these and people can add to the thread when they get the message / are let down by the battery/car. What will really be essential is details of the year/model/market too, so please make sure your Vehicle Details are correct.

Reactions: OERA1

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Happy to run a table on this thread - or better still a separate thread in the Complaints section. Just have to agree the format of the log and what it needs to contain. I'm busy right now but I'll start a two-post thread to log these and people can add to the thread when they get the message / are let down by the battery/car. What will really be essential is details of the year/model/market too, so please make sure your Vehicle Details are correct.
Awesome! Thank you Martin--very much appreciated.

·
Administrator
438 Posts
Awesome! Thank you Martin--very much appreciated.
The thread is here:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thank you John...what is the killer here--is the fact that we get a warning for something we usually should be able to do without worries to lose our battery...that is all. I love warning events, in fact, without them, we are toasted. However--I haven't risk not starting my engine when I get these warnings--just to "see" if in fact, it depletes my battery or not. I think--that is what we all fear...to be stranded with a brand new vehicle--and all I did was simply washed and/or cleaned it. That is not right. I will wash my car today--let's see how it behaves. Hope the SU fixed my issue.
I'll upload the video that I created to YouTube tomorrow. It's edited down to a half an hour from some three hours spent with the car testing. I did not get to measure the total drain down that it takes to achieve the low battery warning, my parasitic drain test wasn't correct for that. But in the video I do show what effect the key FOB has to any possible drain condition and some other skills that techs can employ to trouble shoot something like this. This level of testing goes way beyond what most manufacturers teach, let alone pay their technicians to perform.

I understand why some owners don't like the low voltage warning that can occur. When the engineers design the system they have to choose a threshold value for when to trigger the warning. Now maybe they could adjust the parameters a little if they are too conservative but I doubt they would miss by very much with the initial strategy because the math is pretty straight forward. You can only store, extract and replace a finite amount of power a given number of times and you will have used up the lifespan of the battery. There are going to be a number of owners who have had an issue who won't want to hear this but if their regular usage habits are insufficient to maintain the battery's charge level, that's not the car's fault. The worst thing that any technician can do is attempt to fix something that isn't broken. By trying to fix it he/she convinces the owner that the car genuinely has a problem and the techs cannot fix it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll upload the video that I created to YouTube tomorrow. It's edited down to a half an hour from some three hours spent with the car testing.
I got the upload completed a little quicker than I thought that I would. Of particular interest for other owners is the topic of whether the key FOB and it's stored location are part of the concern. I'll spoil that a little and tell you that it doesn't matter where the FOB is, the car does NOT try to talk to it on a constant basis.
Parasitic Drain Test - YouTube

·
Administrator
438 Posts
Great video, John. Thank you.

·
Administrator
438 Posts
I read a comment by a member in the member log thread that I felt was important enough to be repeated here:
I've not followed the battery issues closely since software updates fixed my car (now the car wakes up only when a door handle is touched and not when the key fob came within 3 metres). As I understand the current situation only cars manufactured from around November 2020 have the low battery message and that this message is displayed when a timer reaches 30 minutes of "switched on and engine not running".
The timer logs from a door being opened to in effect the car shutting down after locking. The timer is only reset when the engine runs for more than 5 minutes or a specific fuse is pulled, charging the battery has no effect on the timer. Since the time is accumulated it is not necessarily the last "I just went to the car and opened the tailgate" action that triggers the alert.
There is a Mazda Germany service bulletin on this topic if any fluent German speakers can confirm the above Energy-saving mode for the 12V battery with a message to the driver when the charge level is low I think you have to join the forum to view the document. The document also appears to have starting VIN number/production date for Japan and Mexico factories but only references "European" markets and also has a warning to dealers about ensuring the timer is reset so that the warning doesn't pop up when a customer is being shown round their new car.

·
Registered
2021 CX30 GT
27 Posts
Hi,
thanks for the update. I really hope they can address your issues in a satisfactory manner. The SSPC5 may not apply to you possibly. I have documented some of my own findings here:

Perhaps it can give you some insight on what might be going on. I have my CX-30 since the middle of March and observed no issues other than the observation I documented in the link. I really wished the manufacturers were more diligent in their designs. It seems a lot of design decision demonstrate poor judgement and design decisions. What makes it worse is the fact, that vehicle electronics is often made by third party vendors. Mazda does not design all the electronics in-house. Companies such as Bosch and many other companies do this. Often design specs don't necessarily get implemented as intended and the "Good enough" attitude prevails. It is a sad state, that is in many areas industry wide and symptomatic of a sick system. SW/HW problems like this are very frustratingly fixable as it costs the companies money they don't want to spend. This is also called the banana policy - "Let the product ripe with the customer". Sorry to sound depressing, but I work in the industry and know what is going on. The CEOs could care less about a lot of the things that irritate us. My previous car from 2006 (Toyota Matrix) behaved absolutely flawless. Unfortunately it was destroyed while parked by a right turning semitrailer truck. This CX-30, albeit nice to drive, can't be considered truly trustworthy (yet) because of the many things going on inside its guts, that we cannot monitor with normal means. The worse thing about 2021 is that most cars are similarly badly designed because they all use similar methods to make the vehicles work.

Anyways, I really hope you will be able to get your problem fixed in a reasonable manner and wish you Best of Luck resolving those persistent problems that plague modern products so often.

Regards,
Scotty
Hi. I sent the following letter to Mazda Canada April first:

According to my own experience and also according to the many comments on social networks, the CX30 has a serious battery problem that discharges abnormally. Personally, I had to call Mazda twice and twice the CAA for a battery boost not counting the time at the movie park where a good Samaritan overtook me while I was the only one broke down; not very good publicity for Mazda.

I love my CX30 but if I was asked today if I am satisfied with my purchase, it would be hard for me to say yes.

I believe Mazda should contact all CX30 owners to reassure them and inform them of the steps Mazda intends to take to rectify the situation. I was recently called by the dealer for the reprogramming of the vehicle.

Is the SSPC5 "Reprogram Control Unit" intended to correct the problem and if so, I would like to know because my spouse and I are always afraid to take a seat in a vehicle that may not leave.

I still wait for an annwer...
I hope that Mazda will fix it soon, otherwise, some automotive journalists will publish the issue.
Not to mention it is also an environmental issue....all this nonsense driving around for so many minutes or idling there are laws against that one .

61 - 80 of 80 Posts