Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just purchased a 2020 CX30 Premium Polymetal Gray. This is my first CUV/SUV. I've been driving manual transmissions exclusively for the last 16 years. I consider myself an enthusiast, driving many VW GTI's, GLI's, Passats etc. I traded in my 2019 Civic Si coupe because my 53 year old back couldn't handle the seats. I wanted a CUV that is sporty and doesn't beat up my body driving it.

I read on the Tirerack reviews that the stock Bridgestone Turanzas on the CX30 perform poorly in just about every driving condition, so I'm thinking about replacing them. With 440 miles on them, I'm not dissatisfied with the tires, but the unpredictable upcoming Illinois winter has me concerned about the Turanzas handling. I know all-season tires are not terrific in snow, but I just want an all around solid tire. I don't want a heavier tire (Goodyear Weather Ready) because I don't want to lose gas mileage. I am considering the Vredestein Quatrac Pro because of it's excellent reviews and it is the same weight as the stock Turanzas.

I am curious to know who has replaced their stock tires and what people's impression of them is.

Thanks!

·
Registered
AWD GT CX-30 ceramic coated
402 Posts
Hello All,

I just purchased a 2020 CX30 Premium Polymetal Gray. This is my first CUV/SUV. I've been driving manual transmissions exclusively for the last 16 years. I consider myself an enthusiast, driving many VW GTI's, GLI's, Passats etc. I traded in my 2019 Civic Si coupe because my 53 year old back couldn't handle the seats. I wanted a CUV that is sporty and doesn't beat up my body driving it.

I read on the Tirerack reviews that the stock Bridgestone Turanzas on the CX30 perform poorly in just about every driving condition, so I'm thinking about replacing them. With 440 miles on them, I'm not dissatisfied with the tires, but the unpredictable upcoming Illinois winter has me concerned about the Turanzas handling. I know all-season tires are not terrific in snow, but I just want an all around solid tire. I don't want a heavier tire (Goodyear Weather Ready) because I don't want to lose gas mileage. I am considering the Vredestein Quatrac Pro because of it's excellent reviews and it is the same weight as the stock Turanzas.

I am curious to know who has replaced their stock tires and what people's impression of them is.

Thanks!
So because of the northern part of Canada that I am in we get really bad winter storms etc and so for winter I fit a set of michalyn ice x 3s as the stock tires are going to be terrible come lots of snow and ice and I find the stock tires in summer to be ok..iv driven on the highway with a really bad down pour where the highway becomes a river and they did well at anti hydroplane but if I was going to replace them it would probably be a good year assurance low profile Tire

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So because of the northern part of Canada that I am in we get really bad winter storms etc and so for winter I fit a set of michalyn ice x 3s as the stock tires are going to be terrible come lots of snow and ice and I find the stock tires in summer to be ok..iv driven on the highway with a really bad down pour where the highway becomes a river and they did well at anti hydroplane but if I was going to replace them it would probably be a good year assurance low profile Tire
Thanks for your feedback. I may see how these Turanzas handle inclement weather before I decide to go another route.

·
Registered
CX-30 GT - 2.5 L AWD
156 Posts
I got my vehicle in March so I experienced the tail end of winter. A few months ago I also got caught in a hailstorm. In my opinion the stock tires exceeded my expectations. Of course the AWD helped👍In preparation for winter I will be installing Michelin X-ice winter tires on the stock rims tomorrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All,

Thanks!
I got some 3 year old WS80 Blizzacks from a family member that had a totaled car with like 90% tread, and some 17" alloys from a 2007 mazda 3 from Facebook for $100.(yes they work) I have no problem with the Stock tires dry and wet performance, and this saves me a lot of money.

I'd suggest doing that, I'll have more effective tires in the winter, and 2 sets will last way longer than whatever you buy.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 Soul Red Select AWD
91 Posts
Hello All,

Thanks!

I come from a similar back ground... Drove mostly Manuals for 17 years. Consider myself to be an enthusiast as well. Could not stand the EL 440's in the rain or snow at the end of march. Spent a considerable amount of time deciding on what all season to go with. Changed them a week ago at 10,000 miles right before winter. Went with The Perrelli P7 all season type II. They are excellent in the wet unlike the first Generation P7. Are known to be right up there in snow ability with all seasons with the Snow Peak rating. Have excellent dry handing and are very quiet. The tires also filter out road imperfections extremely well.

700 tread-wear
Traction A
Temperature A

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I come from a similar back ground... Drove mostly Manuals for 17 years. Consider myself to be an enthusiast as well. Could not stand the EL 440's in the rain or snow at the end of march. Spent a considerable amount of time deciding on what all season to go with. Changed them a week ago at 10,000 miles right before winter. Went with The Perrelli P7 all season type II. They are excellent in the wet unlike the first Generation P7. Are known to be right up there in snow ability with all seasons with the Snow Peak rating. Have excellent dry handing and are very quiet. The tires also filter out road imperfections extremely well.

700 tread-wear
Traction A
Temperature A
Thanks for the input. I needed to hear whether the negative reviews I read about the Bridgestones on Tire Rack had validity. Have you noticed a difference in gas mileage with the Pirellis? I'm looking for a weight close to the 22 lbs of the Bridgestones. The Goodyear Weathereadys are 6 lbs heavier.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I also factored the weight of the tire in... Wanted to keep as close to factory spec's as possible. The suspension is designed for a soft side wall. So the car has extra stiff control arm bushings to be used with soft side wall tires. These tires weigh in at 24 lbs. The weight of the steering feels extremely close to the factory Bridgestone's. The ride has improved in every way... I am getting the same if not better gas mileage.

They also come with 11/32nd's of tread depth as opposed to 9/32nd's on the oem tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I watched some videos and read reviews on the Pirellis and they sound like a great tire. The tread with is 7.7” which is much wider than all the other tires I considered. It’s also $25-40 cheaper per tire than the Goodyear’s or Michelins. I think I’ll give them a shot!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I watched some videos and read reviews on the Pirellis and they sound like a great tire. The tread with is 7.7” which is much wider than all the other tires I considered. It’s also $25-40 cheaper per tire than the Goodyear’s or Michelins. I think I’ll give them a shot!
Make sure you get the type II's... The first generation does not do well in the rain!

·
Registered
2020 Premium, AWD; Soul Red Crystal
51 Posts
My CX 30 has relatively low mileage ---- so the tires tread is like new. The stock tires have performed really well in heavy rain (feel very planted). Considering my area received only 3 inches of snow last winter, I've decided to put the stock tires through at least one more winter. Usually we receive 3-5 snowstorms in a typical winter --- so maybe Global Warming is really impacting my region.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My CX 30 has relatively low mileage ---- so the tires tread is like new. The stock tires have performed really well in heavy rain (feel very planted). Considering my area received only 3 inches of snow last winter, I've decided to put the stock tires through at least one more winter. Usually we receive 3-5 snowstorms in a typical winter --- so maybe Global Warming is really impacting my region.
I live in up state NY so needed something descent in the cold and light snow. If I was going to be driving a lot this winter I would have purchased snow tires. But for your climate I would run the tires down to 4/32ND's. At 10,000 miles my tires were at 6.7/32ND's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in up state NY so needed something descent in the cold and light snow. If I was going to be driving a lot this winter I would have purchased snow tires. But for your climate I would run the tires down to 4/32ND's. At 10,000 miles my tires were at 6.7/32ND's.
Illinois is anticipating a very rainy winter due to La Niña. I grew up in South Jersey and remember the worst winters on record in ‘77 and ‘78. I may see how these Bridgestones handle the winter since I’m working from home most of the year due to Covid. I also need to save up for new tires after paying cash for my CX30, haha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts