Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22 CX 30 Turbo GT Sonic Silver & 22 3 Sport Soul Red
116 Posts
You’re endorsing a tire not found on Vredestein’s own website and Google can’t find any mention of a “Vredestein Contact Pro” tire either so thanks for that. Maybe you meant “Quatrac Pro” but you could have meant anything so who knows.
Smarty pants, you can plainly see in the link what he meant.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Please elaborate on phenomenal.
In every aspect I assume?
All aspects of the tires performance. I purchased them a couple of years ago when they had only a few reviews and the price was the lowest on tire rack I'm always looking for the underdog which is why I loved my Firestone indy 500s for.my GTIs. The tires exceeded my expectations. very low road noise, really good driving feel, perfect sidewall in my opinion, Treadwear has been great and they grip well in wet and are better than expected of an all season in Syracuse New York snow. I truly believe for the price there's not a better Grand touring tire you can buy for your whicles. It hangs in there blow for blow with the cross climate 2s at a much cheaper price. It's the perfect compromise tire if you're not going for a dedicated set of summers/winters for an AWD vehicle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the details, I will put it on my radar. I have always run dedicated winter tire and rims on my vehicles, so I am more interested in a summer replacement for the Turanza. I will admit Vredesteins are not a common tire around here….yet. Sounds as though you have found a gem for your needs.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nope - the link was added at the same time the name correction was made. Originally, I had to guess that he meant “Quatrac Pro”.
Lol, no worries I was just being a jerk.🤔

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I S T R O N G L Y recommend the Vredestein Quatrac Pro Grand touring. I have now had them on 4 vehicles and for the money. they are unbeatable. Read the reviews
The Vredestein Quatrac Pro tire scores a 4.48 on a whopping 983 reviews. Meanwhile, the Continental Cross Contact LX25 tire scores 4.545 on 318 reviews, so a bit higher (on fewer reviews). Of course, as mentioned, the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL440 tires score a low 2.77 on only 83 reviews.

Price-wise, the Vredestein Quatrac Pro comes in at $186 per tire (not including mounting and balancing) while the Continental Cross Contact LX25 (after rebates) works out to $170. Without the rebates, I’d give the Vredestein tire the nod here overall though I have no personal experience with them. WITH the rebate, I’m not likely to spend an extra $65 on a set of four tires with a slightly lower aggregate rating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got two flats on these in only 3000 miles driving and they feel slippery around corners or in heavy braking. They are awful and need to go. Leaning towards Firestone Firehawks. Ill never get Bridgestone again.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD Turbo - Build 3/21
41 Posts
If folks like the stock tires so much, I have a set with 2,500 Kms on them ;) Worst tire I have ever driven. Getting a 7.5" RIM and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4's has transformed this car, if you think it drove great before, it is SO MUCH BETTER!

·
Registered
116 Posts
If folks like the stock tires so much, I have a set with 2,500 Kms on them ;) Worst tire I have ever driven. Getting a 7.5" RIM and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4's has transformed this car, if you think it drove great before, it is SO MUCH BETTER!
Is your Turbo an oil gobbler?
Asking because I am concerned having just bought one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Leaning towards Firestone Firehawks. Ill never get Bridgestone again.
Never Bridgestone? Who do you think has owned Firestone since 1988? Remember Firestone’s 2001 fiasco with the Ford Explorer which lead to Ford severing their hundred-year relationship with Firestone? Google is an easy way to find out things about a product that you’re thinking of spending $1,000 on. What information or test data do you have that makes the Firehawk seem like a good choice? Because…

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
116 Posts
Do you think the above ratings still hold true?
I see it’s from 2016.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Never Bridgestone? Who do you think has owned Firestone since 1988? Remember Firestone’s 2001 fiasco with the Ford Explorer which lead to Ford severing their hundred-year relationship with Firestone? Google is an easy way to find out things about a product that you’re thinking of spending $1,000 on. What information or test data do you have that makes the Firehawk seem like a good choice? Because…

View attachment 5265
Ah thank you for bringing this to my attention and I do remember the 2001 fiasco. My source is that I shopped most of the tire places in town and the firehawk looked like the best option that anybody could offer and there weren't many options at all.

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 AWD, Carbon Edition (CE)
234 Posts
Most reviews of any type can be heavily biased on a variety of fronts, even assuming all of them are honest (& not marketing fraud, spam & such like what plagues Amazon & other places). I've purchased "rave review" products/content before that I wasn't happy with, & vice-versa. Heck, I never would have bought my GREAT (IMO) little 2015 Toyota Yaris SE hatch 5-MT back in the day if I listened to the prevailing reviews on it (I loved that little hatch - reminded me of my Honda CRX Si days). There is just a lot of subjective bias that goes into most reviews (if not paid product marketing manipulation). Plus, different people like & look for different things in products, people, etc. I lost respect for Consumer Reports after observing how they rated/reviewed cars (for one). So, I guess it ultimately boils down to "Eye of the Beholder". I've read some serious dislike for the CX-30 out there also, but I'm liking mine - & certainly better than anything else available in the lackluster small Crossover segment for the USA.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Tire brand discussions remind me of oil type and frequency of change discussions.
Probably right up at the top of most discussed and opinionated topics.
With brands having multiple factories in different parts of the world it can make decision time a tough go.
Pirelli and Michelin have a huge marketing department and seem to be known world wide as premium tire manufacturers. With that comes premium pricing, lesser know brands like Kuhmo, Vredestein, etc. may make an even better tire, but unless you have reliable sourcing it’s a crap shoot.

What is clear to me is there is that there is a serious dislike for the Turanzas on the CX30’s.
So many choices for purposes like wet grip, noise, sidewall comfort, etc. is there really one that does it all better than any other? Which one stands out as el supremo?
Let me know because I would like a set of the “perfect” tires for three seasons.
In winter I run dedicated snow/ice tires because, well I live in Canada.

Reactions: camatz01

·
Registered
2022 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus AWD (Polymetal Gray)
61 Posts
Tire brand discussions remind me of oil type and frequency of change discussions.
With brands having multiple factories in different parts of the world it can make decision time a tough go.
Pirelli and Michelin have a huge marketing department and seem to be known world wide as premium tire manufacturers. With that comes premium pricing, lesser know brands like Kuhmo, Vredestein, etc. may make an even better tire, but unless you have reliable sourcing it’s a crap shoot.

What is clear to me is there is that there is a serious dislike for the Turanzas on the CX30’s.
So many choices for purposes like wet grip, noise, sidewall comfort, etc. is there really one that does it all better than any other? Which one stands out as el supremo?
Let me know because I would like a set of the “perfect” tires for three seasons.
Here’s Tire Rack’s ratings of several choices in the Grand Touring All Season segment.
Note what the bottom one is….

Here are the ratings on the Crossover/SUV Touring All Season segment…

·
Registered
11 Posts

I decided on the vredestein quatrac after doing a few hours research on every tire i could get for the cx30. They have the best of grand touring and ultra high performance characteristics with great reviews and are 5 lbs lighter than the Michelin Crossclimate which seem to be the best performing in tests after the vredestens. I think grip really holds the cx30 turbo back and am expecting a major improvement in mountain driving.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have heard some very good reviews on Vredestein. Fairly new to North America with factories in Holland and India.
I was oddly disappointed in some Nokians I bought for winter a few years back as they were made in Russia.
They were winter tires that were highly rated and I suppose the Russians should know a thing or two about snow.
I don’t think there are many tires actually made Canada, I believe Bridgestone, Goodyear, and Michelin do but in very few models.
When I decide to pull the Turanzas off I am going to take a serious look at the Vredesteins.

·
Registered
22 CX-30 Premium Platinum Quartz
52 Posts
We have the Continental Cross Contact LX25 on our Rav4 hybrid, have about 25,000 miles on them with very little wear. I'm very happy with them. MPG, which is sensitive with hybrids, did drop 5 to 10% for several thousand miles, then came back to expected level. I like the wear indicators for D,W,S. (dry, wet, snow) plus very shallow wear indicators to quickly determine whether wear is even.

I'll get them for my CX-30 at some point, only have 3400 miles and do mostly around town driving, so don't feel urgency to replace the OEMs.

Tire Daytime Automotive tire Wheel Tread

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Tire brand discussions remind me of oil type and frequency of change discussions. Probably right up at the top of most discussed and opinionated topics.
I have to respectfully disagree. With oil, it's rare that anyone backs their opinion with any factual information (hot/cold centistokes, volatility, additive-package depletion over time, Used-Oil-Analysis, etc). With tires, there are meaningful differences which many drivers are able to immediately feel, see, and hear. The same cannot be said of oil brand/type.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts