Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
AWD GT CX-30 ceramic coated
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i took my cx-30 on its very first road trip yesterday to visit family in a small town outside of my city and the total round trip is 704 km or 438 miles and i have to say how nice of a ride it was on the highway and it powered through pretty nicely even when passing a transport truck on a pretty steep hills on the highway and the skyactiv drive transmission / software dose very well at not gear hunting and holding the correct gear up a hill and powered it's way up very nicely.
The gas mileage was very good as i averaged a nice 6.5 L/100 KM or almost 38 MPG which is way way better then what i was getting on the Rouge/ Nissan qashqai that i had before doing the very same drive and would always hit little under half a tank by the time i got to my destination and keep in mind the Nissan even had a bigger tank LOL yah sad i know haha but the cx 30 didn't even hit half a tank and i was pretty darn impressed.
I used radar cruse control 95% of the time and the other 5% was not used for passing a transport and even tho i always have it set on the maximum following distance i don't like following transports as they tent to throw stones etc. The radar cruse control did make it for a very nice relaxed ride tho and was nice following someone who cant keep a consistant speed or going through a lower speed limit area as i never once had to fiddle with the cruse control.
Very happy needless to say :)

·
Registered
CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
34 Posts
Three weeks ago I took a 3,900 mile roadtrip in my CX-30 and was also very impressed with the gas mileage. The estimate on the window sticker is only 32 MPG for highway driving (25 city) but I consistently got 35+MPG - I had a several tanks that were a solid 38 MPG and one that hit 40 MPG. I also used the radar cruise control for all the highway driving. My worst tank was 32. The CX-30 is so much nicer, quieter and better than I expected - I had only done a very brief sit in one (30 seconds max) back in February before buying mine the middle of June. At that time I did a very quick (10 minute?) test drive and then trailered it home. I'm also very impressed.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Three weeks ago I took a 3,900 mile roadtrip in my CX-30 and was also very impressed with the gas mileage. The estimate on the window sticker is only 32 MPG for highway driving (25 city) but I consistently got 35+MPG - I had a several tanks that were a solid 38 MPG and one that hit 40 MPG. I also used the radar cruise control for all the highway driving. My worst tank was 32. The CX-30 is so much nicer, quieter and better than I expected - I had only done a very brief sit in one (30 seconds max) back in February before buying mine the middle of June. At that time I did a very quick (10 minute?) test drive and then trailered it home. I'm also very impressed.
Yah it gets slightly better mpg then what the EPA has it rated at and I was really impressed and even did some passing and the best part it did it fairly easily and I didn't even have to floor it 🙂 the PCM software dose a very good job at controling the transmission and soft shifts very smoothly and holds it in the right gear for the right power band without full throttle. Very well engineered vehicle Mazda.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 Soul Red Select AWD
91 Posts
I drove 521 miles on straight highway when the car only had 200 miles on it. Averaging between 75 and 80 I got 35mpg ... This is with AWD and no CDA. Over the life of the car (10,000 miles) mostly city type driving I have averaged 31.8! With my 2018 Mazda 3 2.5 6sp Manual I averaged 30.3 mpg over 20,000 miles. Still well over the EPA estimates... But it is interesting even with AWD and more weight I get better MPG in the cx30 with the automatic.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove 521 miles on straight highway when the car only had 200 miles on it. Averaging between 75 and 80 I got 35mpg ... This is with AWD and no CDA. Over the life of the car (10,000 miles) mostly city type driving I have averaged 31.8! With my 2018 Mazda 3 2.5 6sp Manual I averaged 30.3 mpg over 20,000 miles. Still well over the EPA estimates... But it is interesting even with AWD and more weight I get better MPG in the cx30 with the automatic.
They have done a fine job with the Software on the PCM along with the skyactiv technology in engine being fuel efficiant and the transmission transfering the correct power with pretty much no wasted energy from torque conver to transmission.. I have come to growing to really likeing mazda and their skyactiv drive as i have come from owning two vehicles as a dailer driver having both a CVT. Like i said the crossover i had before had less HP smaller engine and a CVT and did not get nearly the same MPG that the cx 30 gets.

·
Registered
91 Posts
They have done a fine job with the Software on the PCM along with the skyactiv technology in engine being fuel efficiant and the transmission transfering the correct power with pretty much no wasted energy from torque conver to transmission.. I have come to growing to really likeing mazda and their skyactiv drive as i have come from owning two vehicles as a dailer driver having both a CVT. Like i said the crossover i had before had less HP smaller engine and a CVT and did not get nearly the same MPG that the cx 30 gets.
I had a 2016 Honda HRV AWD with the CVT... Put 58,000 miles on that crossover. Had a CVT and a 1.8L with only 141hp. The best I ever got on the highway was around 32MPG. Drove from Oregon to North Carolina (2,842 miles) going 80mpg most of the way. I averaged 31-32 mpg the whole trip. In the CX-30 with 45 more HP and a real transmission I would have gotten 34-35. Absolutely love Mazda's SkyActive Drive Trains!!! Not just for efficiency but also for how they operate. Truly the best of both worlds with no sacrifice!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
The turbo version is going to be so tempting.
For sure!!! When I worked for Mazda... I drove a Mazda 6 2 hours each way for training. It was a Grand Touring with the 2.5T. I averaged 32mpg going 75 on the highway. The next day I took a CX-9 base AWD. That on the same trip averaged 29mpg... Not bad at all for a 3 row crossover with a turbo 4. So my guess is with a CX-30 AWD Turbo it would be similar to the Mazda 6. To have 250HP and 320TQ plus AWD and get around 32 real world on the highway would be incredible.

Those numbers were off of the car's computer not measured at fill up. However I find Mazdas to be with in 1mpg of real fuel economy calculations.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just a quick update.. so it was like a rain forest down pour raining on the highway on the ride back and so bad that a transport around a corner hydroplaned off the highway and the front of it went into the ditch blocking off the two lane highway.. I was more then impressed with the i-Active AWD system with the highway like a small river and i had no problems with grip going 105 KM/h or 65 MPH as i went around the bends on the highway you could feel the confidence and the AWD system working as the back end went flawlessly not slipping out once :) at that high rate of speed in such terrible conditions and the AUTO wipers wher amazing as i never ever had to take my hands off the wheel not even once as i needed to be ready just in case to correct a loss of control situation which never ever even happened thanks to the AWD system knowing that it was raining and to stay on way before wheel slip. Was a Awesome trip even tho the weather coming back today was terrible driving on what was basically a river. I JUST LOVE THE CX-30 EVEN MORE! :) after the AWD system did more then prove itself it was like nothing iv ever felt and it was funny because most people wher slowing down i kept on plowing through like the bad weather was not even there :)

·
Registered
CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
34 Posts
just a quick update.. so it was like a rain forest down pour raining on the highway on the ride back and so bad that a transport around a corner hydroplaned off the highway and the front of it went into the ditch blocking off the two lane highway.. I was more then impressed with the i-Active AWD system with the highway like a small river and i had no problems with grip going 105 KM/h or 65 MPH as i went around the bends on the highway you could feel the confidence and the AWD system working as the back end went flawlessly not slipping out once :) at that high rate of speed in such terrible conditions and the AUTO wipers wher amazing as i never ever had to take my hands off the wheel not even once as i needed to be ready just in case to correct a loss of control situation which never ever even happened thanks to the AWD system knowing that it was raining and to stay on way before wheel slip. Was a Awesome trip even tho the weather coming back today was terrible driving on what was basically a river. I JUST LOVE THE CX-30 EVEN MORE! :) after the AWD system did more then prove itself it was like nothing iv ever felt and it was funny because most people wher slowing down i kept on plowing through like the bad weather was not even there :)
When shopping for my CX-30 (hunting what I wanted) for about 1/2-second I considered getting a front-wheel-drive only version. Then I came to my senses! Ha Ha An AWD was the only way I was going to buy one. :) I drove through a stretch of snowy weather at Yellowstone on my road trip and I could see there was slush building up on the highway. I never noticed my CX-30 misbehaving. After I passed through that snowy area (high elevation) the snow stopped but I passed a plow heading in that direction.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Premium, Machine Grey Metallic, White leather
4 Posts
I know they recommend regular gasoline (87 octane here in Calif.), but does anyone use high grade (89 octane) or premium (91 octane), and do you notice a difference in gas mileage?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I run 93 octane in my CX-30... It is a waste of money for most people. I do it for the higher level of detergents to keep the combustion chamber and GDI injectors free of carbon. Honestly it probably a waste for me as well... But I plan to keep this car along time and with the excellent gas mileage I don't mind spending a little more.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know they recommend regular gasoline (87 octane here in Calif.), but does anyone use high grade (89 octane) or premium (91 octane), and do you notice a difference in gas mileage?
No you will actually get worse gas mileage as higher octane fuel contrary to what people think .. as it's meant to be used in a vehicle where pre detonation is a issue on 87 octane as higher octane fuel doesn't ignition as quickly so in a engine where it's been engineered to run on 87 octane fuel the PCM will change the air fuel mixture to use more fuel to combat higher ignition point.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly if you run a
I run 93 octane in my CX-30... It is a waste of money for most people. I do it for the higher level of detergents to keep the combustion chamber and GDI injectors free of carbon. Honestly it probably a waste for me as well... But I plan to keep this car along time and with the excellent gas mileage I don't mind spending a little more.
.. now I'm sceptical of it but anyways .. running a top teir certified fuel brand that is more then enough to help with carbon issues and if you didn't know this Mazda has actually studied why carbon buildup occurs and realized that it happens in the engine at certain temperature so the latest generation of skyactiv G engines have been built in a way to almost making Carbon buildup next to not even being a issue by circulating coolant in around the engine heads to stop it from bakeing onto the engine valves.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Honestly if you run a

.. now I'm sceptical of it but anyways .. running a top teir certified fuel brand that is more then enough to help with carbon issues and if you didn't know this Mazda has actually studied why carbon buildup occurs and realized that it happens in the engine at certain temperature so the latest generation of skyactiv G engines have been built in a way to almost making Carbon buildup next to not even being a issue by circulating coolant in around the engine heads to stop it from bakeing onto the engine valves.
That is to help slow down carbon build up on the valves. Which fuel never touches... so it does not matter what fuel you use in that regard. I was speaking of the carbon build up on the GDI injectors and the pistons. I know there is no need to be running 93 octane. I am just crazy and every little detail makes a difference to me. Also am running GUM Out fuel system cleaner (first time 10,000 miles) which has the highest PEA level.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts