Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Mazda cross bars for my roof rack and they look like Thule Evo wing bars. I know Thule Aerobar attachments don't work with it, the channels on the bars are to narrow for my Thule Load Stop attachment. I believe the Evo bars are different than the Aero bars but in what way? Are there any other brands of rack attachments that are compatible with the Mazda cross bars?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Grub,
Do you have the silver roof rails down each side on the car? Or the "clip on feet" type that Thule or Yakima make for this car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the silver roof rails down each side on the car. I had the Thule Aero bars that I sold after I bought the Mazda cross bars that look like Thule but the groove that runs the length of the bar are narrower than the Thule Aero bar grooves so the Thule attachments I had did not work. So I would like to know if there are any attachments that will fit the grooves on the Mazda cross bars, In particular I would like a set of Load Stops.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yakima doesn’t currently sell a bike rack that is compatible with the OEM roof rails and cross bars (at least none claimed in the USA by my check), but does state that their racks have general compatibility within a certain size range of bars. I tested that with my Frontloader racks (attached such that the back of the bike faces the nose of the car - the hatch won’t be able to open if attached in the reverse). The racks technically fit over the bars, but they will not make a safe connection. The contouring/shape of the clamps does not match the bar shape, and so the weight of the rack and bike is supported by a very narrow portion of plastic.

If people are interested I can put one back on and take a photo for reference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yakima makes a roof rack for the CX-30 that requires the plastic channel running down each side of the roof to be removed. That means each summer, I’ll be driving around with that channel exposed. It’s more of a concern for looks than functionality.
my CX-30 came with a bare roof, no rails at all. The Mazda roof rack onlysupports 100 lb, which my two kayaks would be 4 lb over that,Yakima’s are 165 capacity. I don’t need to pull the trigger for 5 months or so, might wait to see what options everyone has at that point.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yakima makes a roof rack for the CX-30 that requires the plastic channel running down each side of the roof to be removed. That means each summer, I’ll be driving around with that channel exposed. It’s more of a concern for looks than functionality.
my CX-30 came with a bare roof, no rails at all. The Mazda roof rack onlysupports 100 lb, which my two kayaks would be 4 lb over that,Yakima’s are 165 capacity. I don’t need to pull the trigger for 5 months or so, might wait to see what options everyone has at that point.
I am in the process of trying to order a complete roof rack for my CX30 from any one who will ship the racks to Bermuda with no luck so far i have had two shipping declines already one from swift canoe.

We have two kayaks and one canoe , if you propose to mount the kayaks side by side the bar length is critacal for attaching hull suports called "sweet role"

Fainling that you could get away with "J"supports from Rhino, not recomended by me .

Side by side mounting will require separate kayak Sweet role cradles mounting one each side of the suport towers for weight distribution and posible using a 70 " cross bar you will have to content with the extra length or may be 60 " cross bar will do i am going to select black areo style cross bars i already have kayak Sweet role cralles i am tryong to avoid puting "J" suports ,because of windage.
There is a Yakima suport tower system which will alow you to remove the cross bars and also the towers i am having a problem identifying which one of the Yakima tower would be suitable with that feature.
Dont get stuck with "J" suports if you can help it.

I dont know what speeds you are doing you may find you self driving slower .

The weight issue is to keep the lawyer out of the hen house .................may be !...

Some Dealers may/ usualy only have 50" cross bars that will only alow you to place the kayaks on their sides that would not work for me as i dont like up in the air set up as I said before.
A word of warning kayaks cause allot of windage, adequate tie downs to the point of "over kill "are esential.
hope this is help full.
I do not recomend using pipe for cross arms the dont clamp tight enough and just to save a bit of money.

All roof racks cause alot noticable windage.

Removal of roof rack gear with the correct towers is great option , then you can re use the plastic roof strips ,cut to fit.

Sorry about the Jeep and Swift canoe the set up all i have just now to go by.
Showing 1/4 " tie down rope and webbing,

let me/ us know how you made out.
DSCF0433.JPG
DSCF0433.JPG

·
Registered
97 Posts
Phototecs
May i refer to your comment of removing the plastic cover trim from the roof channels of a CX30
we could be looking at "RUST CITY " there .

Its raining again here , however the first chance i get i an going to remove the plastic chanels guards and do clean out, a posible apply some Corosion x preserver .

Aparantly Yakima suply a special plasic "L" spoon to for removing the plastic strip which is held/ clipped in place along several locations.
I have given consideration to cutting and replacing the gully cover plastic trim after fitting of the towers, by the way, the rear cross bar has two positions for instalation.
I just had my e mail bounces from Yakima that just came through my friends at Google.
I am going for skyline towers and a silver ( may be black? ) Jet stream 70 "cross bars so i can place "sweet role "suport fittings either side of the towers.

You can get away with "J" type kayak suports and shorter bars, I think you then may have windage problems reducing you to lower speeds.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 Preferred
1 Posts
Any updates?

·
Registered
97 Posts
YAKIMA CAR ROOF RACK
All this is very confusing they dont make it easy .
You can not beat Yakima for quality and design .

Ok !So you don't want to remove the plastic strips .ok ! use lots of wax.
Do you want let the water sit there, not a god idea .

The 100 lbs is in my oppinion a Mazda conservative a safety limit........ However it is still your risk
All one has to do with kayaks on the roof of a car is drive with in limits or even slower on a windy day .
Say, 30 kts for car speed. + 30 kts for head wind .That's alot of Kts. windage
I prefer the "shyline tower" bolt on in the groove on a naked roof ... recomended by Yakima
and " jet streem"cross bars black painted or silver anodized ... recomended by Yakima.
i don't not think you want side clip on towers.
There is alot of windage with roof racks with or with out kayaks
May I recomend that you tie down kayaks front and back because of cross winds.
Tie each kayak separately with 1/4 " braded line, secure with a truckers hitch and webbing tie down to boot and bonnet lids.
May I surgest you space each kayak keel as close as you can over the towers on a 70" cross bar .
What are your roof rack widths ck city ordinance ?
You need to keep weight away from the middle of the rack because you may bend the cross bar and force the towers inward.
I do no recomend mounting kayaks sideways on "J" carriers because of cross winds.
Even if they say 200 lbs the roof grooves most likely the strongest part of the car.
By the way I sold the jeep year ago it was time, also D.M.V. tax reasons.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
MORE From somers
MAZDA CX~ 30 & CX~3... Roof track filler black plastic trim .

All end very delicate clips can be damaged if the track is not lifted only say 2 " vertically
there is a double tape glued track fitting near the center
( etrailer web page has an install video for mazda click the picture . )
I doubt if the track can be re ~ incorporated in the project, save for later.
The better/ best kayak supports are know as "SWEET ROLL" x 4 per boat which will fit all cross bars.
Yakima instructions and diagrams are very comprehensive

·
Registered
97 Posts
9 May 2021: ROOF RACK ROPE TIE DOWNS
When it comes to adding additional forward and back rope tie ( recomended ) down.
Do not tie down taught as this puts aditional mechanical weight the the roof, all you need do is stop the boats moving sideways and / or sliding over the front and also and /or from slipping off the rear of the vehicle in heavy wind.
CX 3 soul red 2 ltr auto

1 - 11 of 11 Posts