Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strongly thinking of buying a CX-30. How easy/difficult is the rotary dial to use versus a touch screen while driving? This is my biggest unknown. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Astina, Machine Grey, Vinylwrap Blackouts
12 Posts
Bloody terrible, especially when using the navigation system. Touchscreen so much better and easier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Strongly thinking of buying a CX-30. How easy/difficult is the rotary dial to use versus a touch screen while driving? This is my biggest unknown. Thanks.
I don’t have a problem with it. I had an Audi A 3 before with one, so there wasn’t much of a learning curve. We also drive a VW with a touchscreen which is quite laggy and I prefer the dial on the Mazda.
Ask 10 people and you will get different opinions. Have a go on the test drive. Like any new skill, after a while it will become a lot easier. I mainly use Apple car play on my CX-30 and there are a few more steps to go through compared to a touch screen

·
Registered
AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated
682 Posts
I love it .. motor memory has learned the system very well and I can always keep my eyes on the road and use the system with just peripheral vision and bavagate through the system very much with ease. used allot of other systems that are touch screen and i honesetly dont like them and prefer this system.. also used Acura's Touch pad system which is close to mazdas but with out the commander knob and a touch pad instread.. but the knob is allot better as it requires allot less accuracy.

·
Registered
2020 CX30 G25 Astina 2.5Lt AWD
35 Posts
I much prefer the mazda way of control. This is a so much safer and accurate way of navigating the system. Totally agree with @detailcarguy on his points above. And really, once you are used to the system you just flow thru it with minimal glances. And with the positioning of the screen you aren’t looking down from the road just a sideways glance. I haven’t had any issues using carplay with the command knob and all my navigating is via voice control so not a problem there at all.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
660 Posts
I really like it, simple to use for the way I use it. Initially it takes a bit of getting used to but once you get past the learning curve, it makes a lot of sense and you wonder what all the fuss was about.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 AWD Polymetal Grey
4 Posts
My previous car was a Subaru Crosstrek with a touchscreen, and I really like the dial- don't miss the touchscreen at all. It was always lagging and diverts your attention more, in my opinion.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Very easy to learn and easy and safe to use, except for the navigation, which is time consuming.
I use voice most of the time for th navigation.. never used the rotoroy knob to input a address and the voice works pretty good 😊

·
Registered
2020 Premium, AWD; Soul Red Crystal
81 Posts
I use voice most of the time for th navigation.. never used the rotoroy knob to input a address and the voice works pretty good 😊
Voice recognition doesn't work on my Mazda Navigation. Or are you referring to apple/ android auto Navigation using Voice?

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
660 Posts
haven't used the navigation much (can't do much traveling these days) but found by selecting the "cursor" on the map with the Commander knob you can zoom and and out and find and select locations on the map pretty quick, faster than typing in a location and these can be saved to your favourites for even quicker use in the future.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Voice recognition doesn't work on my Mazda Navigation. Or are you referring to apple/ android auto Navigation using Voice?
No i am talking about the mada connect voice command.. I press the button on the steering wheel and say navigation... address search and I speak the address and it asks to confirm .. and if line one is correct .. I say one.. and then it automatically sets the destination.very easy to use.. i never use the knob once.. all done by voice command. I have never used android auto or any of that stuff.. all just the mazda system as i have a basic phone and dont care to have a silly phone that cost more then my lease payment in a month lol.

·
Registered
CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
78 Posts
My F150 has a touch screen for everything and I have this CX-30 too. The F150 is my only other comparison. I have NO problem with the knob and non-touch screen for about anything except the NAV portion. Entering an entire address with the knob is annoying because of the way the alphabet is displayed in an oval that one moves around with the knob - I whiz past the desired letter and always have to back up. I don't really like using the voice input unless I just have too. The best part of the whole thing is the Favorites (star) button that lets you scroll through ALL the favorites in my list even while moving. My F150 won't let you see but about the top 10 items which is also annoying. Otherwise I seriously like the control knob, buttons and volume knob right by where my hand naturally rests - I really love that so much that I rarely use the buttons on the steering wheel. Another plus to me is with the screen being a non-touch it's not always smudged up with finger prints. An interesting thing I saw for sale on Ebay is a screen protector for the CX-30. Why would you need one for it when you never touch it except for maybe dusting? :unsure: :giggle:

·
Registered
2020 Premium, AWD; Soul Red Crystal
81 Posts
No i am talking about the mada connect voice command.. I press the button on the steering wheel and say navigation... address search and I speak the address and it asks to confirm .. and if line one is correct .. I say one.. and then it automatically sets the destination.very easy to use.. i never use the knob once.. all done by voice command. I have never used android auto or any of that stuff.. all just the mazda system as i have a basic phone and dont care to have a silly phone that cost more then my lease payment in a month lol.
So, you must be in Navigation Mode (New Destination) 'first' --- before pressing the steering wheel Talk icon?

·
Registered
682 Posts
So, you must be in Navigation Mode (New Destination) 'first' --- before pressing the steering wheel Talk icon?
You don't need to be in navigation.. just hit the voice commands button right from the steering wheel... Say navigation... Then it will give you options.. and say address search .. then you say your destination address Street including city.its really easy to use .. I can do it while driving..

·
Registered
G25 Touring - 2020 - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
66 Posts
I enter the destination into my google maps on the phone before I start driving. Voice recognition works ok too. But entering the address manually with the dial is a pain and I wouldn't recommend it, google doesn't even let you do it.

Id probably take the dial over a touch screen, but it would be nice to have both.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts