Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'21 CX-30 2.5 Sky G Pref AWD Red
300 Posts
Does anybody know if the cx30 x skyactive has the sailing feature on it
Had to look that up to see what you were talking about. Don't know how to tell for sure if I am completely out of gear coasting, But I have a high point in my ride to work each day. Well over a mile up one side and at least that on the other side. I am lucky if I get 20 mpg up and easily 40+ 'coasting' down the other.

·
Registered
Cx30 2021 gt sport tech x skyactive 183 bph.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had to look that up to see what you were talking about. Don't know how to tell for sure if I am completely out of gear coasting, But I have a high point in my ride to work each day. Well over a mile up one side and at least that on the other side. I am lucky if I get 20 mpg up and easily 40+ 'coasting' down the other.
If you are driving and take your foot off the accelerator your revs should drop and a sailing message would appear

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you are driving and take your foot off the accelerator your revs should drop and a sailing message would appear
Just tried this on my way in to work (2nd shift). No message. Normal idle at park is about 750, and revs were definitely less than that coasting down hill. Maybe 650 to 700

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just tried this on my way in to work (2nd shift). No message. Normal idle at park is about 750, and revs were definitely less than that coasting down hill. Maybe 650 to 700
That might be it without message
Have a go at driving normal speed and take your foot of the accelerator the revs might drop down

·
Registered
'20 CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
162 Posts
My '20 Premium has the cylinder deactivation. When I'm going down hill for short distances the graphic showing which cylinders are working shows all four shutdown. I haven't paid any attention to how long they stay down but I have never seen anything that says "sailing" or whatever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My '20 Premium has the cylinder deactivation. When I'm going down hill for short distances the graphic showing which cylinders are working shows all four shutdown. I haven't paid any attention to how long they stay down but I have never seen anything that says "sailing" or whatever.
Its the same thing my partner has a hybrid kona and it comes up with sailing

·
Registered
300 Posts
Doing a bit of reading on the subject... I think you are confusing multiple technologies that may or may not be used together. 'Sailing' is accomplished by the use of a clutch (controlled by the car, not the driver) to disconnect the drive of an automatic transmission, similar to pressing the clutch pedal in a manual. Other fuel saving strategies are start/stop, cylinder deactivation, fuel cutting and in hybrid and EV applications -regenerative braking. Any engine is going to reduce RPM when you let off the fuel. I just thought it interesting that my CX-30 (Skyactive G 2.5S)actually dropped below normal idle in a coasting situation. I am not aware of it using any of the mentioned technologies.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
345 Posts
Doing a bit of reading on the subject... I think you are confusing multiple technologies that may or may not be used together. 'Sailing' is accomplished by the use of a clutch (controlled by the car, not the driver) to disconnect the drive of an automatic transmission, similar to pressing the clutch pedal in a manual. Other fuel saving strategies are start/stop, cylinder deactivation, fuel cutting and in hybrid and EV applications -regenerative braking. Any engine is going to reduce RPM when you let off the fuel. I just thought it interesting that my CX-30 (Skyactive G 2.5S)actually dropped below normal idle in a coasting situation. I am not aware of it using any of the mentioned technologies.
I pulled this quote out of a study paper. "There is a 23.17% decrease in fuel economy in the case of coasting in gear. Thus, with the constraint of equal stopping distances, neutral coasting has 41.06% increased fuel economy." send (ohiolink.edu)

There is a problem with using percentages that is often overlooked. I remember the media talking about some guy in Arizona who was going to see a 100% increase in his health insurance premiums, meanwhile for my wife and myself ours was increasing 12%. The real world numbers were his insurance was costing him $119 a month and going up to $238, meanwhile ours was going from $1500 up to $1680 a month. Sorry but that 100% increase for him didn't invoke much sympathy from us.

Back to the fuel-cut versus "sailing". This is an interesting topic but is much more complicated. For the average driver no "measurable" benefit will be achieved especially when considering costs for implementation and other wear and tear considerations. Today's hybrid vehicles look at this exact area as one of the places to try and capture potential lost energy, even our CXs, non hybrid turn the alternator up to maximum charge setting during deceleration to try and recover some power. Fuel cut off strategies during deceleration save fuel simply because idling for that same period of time is using fuel for no net gain. Yeah you wont coast as far but who coasts all the way to a stop? Fuel cut-off also reduces emissions levels (no partially burned fuel leaving the engine) and adds O2 to be stored in the catalysts to help control emissions on the next acceleration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.