Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Still getting used to my new CX-30 and haven’t quite got to grips with the satnav yet.
On my old Mazda 3, I could select any address on my phone or a place I’d found on Google Maps and simply Bluetooth it to the car & go.
This one is obviously far more advanced with many features I’ve yet to discover, yet entering ad-hoc destinations seems a far more ponderous affair than before.
Am I missing something?

·
Registered
CX30 GT SPORT. A Road cyclists who drives a CX30 on the odd occasion...
411 Posts
I use Google maps via Android Auto..
Far better...but like all technology.. it's only as good as settings the user sets up...😂👍

·
Registered
2020 Preferred Snowflake AWD
205 Posts
Hi,
Still getting used to my new CX-30 and haven’t quite got to grips with the satnav yet.
On my old Mazda 3, I could select any address on my phone or a place I’d found on Google Maps and simply Bluetooth it to the car & go.
This one is obviously far more advanced with many features I’ve yet to discover, yet entering ad-hoc destinations seems a far more ponderous affair than before.
Am I missing something?
Look up the address on your phone and "share" it with your car via the Mazda app. Easy...

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 2020, Soul Red
12 Posts
App also unavailable in Canada which makes me glad I only paid 60$ for an eBay nav card instead of the 400-500$ the dealer asks for it. The ability to control the nav system (or while entertainment system) from a phone app would be so much better.

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 GT
39 Posts
Agree, the input with dial or voice are terrible on this car. Voice is complete nonsense, it recognizes almost nothing, address input is pain... its sad that android auto is not supported by HUD.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agree, the input with dial or voice are terrible on this car. Voice is complete nonsense, it recognizes almost nothing, address input is pain... its sad that android auto is not supported by HUD.
I thought everyone was saying Android Auto was the way to go with this. Haven’t tried it myself yet.
I suppose I’m of the opinion that the integrated system that came with my top spec model, with all its technical advances, must surely be better than any Android mobile device.
Says he who’s just bought a new Android.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I thought everyone was saying Android Auto was the way to go with this. Haven’t tried it myself yet.
I suppose I’m of the opinion that the integrated system that came with my top spec model, with all its technical advances, must surely be better than any Android mobile device.
Says he who’s just bought a new Android.
This is exactly why built-in nav systems are becoming dinosaurs. Apple and Google maps and auto interfaces improve with every update - which happens one or two times a year. The CX-30 nav system is probably five years old, and will never get better, apart from map updates. It just makes no sense at all. I got it and was immediately discouraged when I tried to use voice to input an address - it doesn't have that basic feature!

Plug in your phone and ignore the Mazda navigation and you will be a lot better off. I just got the new iPhone and the updated Carplay looks amazing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is exactly why built-in nav systems are becoming dinosaurs. Apple and Google maps and auto interfaces improve with every update - which happens one or two times a year. The CX-30 nav system is probably five years old, and will never get better, apart from map updates. It just makes no sense at all. I got it and was immediately discouraged when I tried to use voice to input an address - it doesn't have that basic feature!

Plug in your phone and ignore the Mazda navigation and you will be a lot better off. I just got the new iPhone and the updated Carplay looks amazing.
I had an email from them yesterday funnily enough, to update the built-in nav database. I assume that won’t change the system at all then?
I have noticed it seems to get stuck when whenever I stop halfway around a junction, not helping at all when I’m trying to figure out which exit I’m supposed to be taking.
So does Android Auto actually display Google Maps or Waze on the centre display, and on the windscreen projection?
I‘ll have to have a play with it sometime.

·
Registered
2020 Premium, AWD; Soul Red Crystal
57 Posts

"The CX-30 nav system is probably five years old, and will never get better, apart from map updates. It just makes no sense at all. I got it and was immediately discouraged when I tried to use voice to input an address - it doesn't have that basic feature!" I had the same reaction when I attempted to imput an address by using the voice feature. Thought it was something that I was doing wrong. Very frustrating!

·
Registered
37 Posts
So does Android Auto actually display Google Maps or Waze on the centre display, and on the windscreen projection?
No, on the CX-30's wide screen Android Auto puts the maps on the left and displays your entertainment (radio, Pandora, whatever) on the right. The maps are designed for the more square car displays. Since more and more cars have wide displays this solution isn't really cutting it. I expect it to change in a future update.

Apple CarPlay, however, will display maps full screen if you tap the Navigation button.

However, this is the good news about these apps - they are in competition with each other so neither can afford to stand still for long. They usually get one major update a year, along with minor fixes.

Mazda, on the other hand, is incentivized to be as conservative as possible. They can't risk breaking something and so rarely update anything. And when they do have a software update, it has to be done by the dealer. Who doesn't want to do it, again, because they are afraid of breaking something and having to repair it later at a loss. Their idea of upgrading the infotainment system is to buy a new car in a couple of years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts