Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Polymetal Gray Turbo / 2020 Sonic Silver Preferred
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone scratched their plastic bumper and gotten it fixed? I was hit at a stop light by a distracted driver. Apologies for the bad photo, this was at the scene. You can see the license plate outline and other small scratches in white.

I washed my car and was able to get some of the scratches out, but there’s still an imprint of the license plate.
Is this worth getting fixed? Can you sand down the plastic or would it have to be fully replaced? this is my brand new CX-30 that I got about two months ago after I was hit by a different distracted driver Fun While It Lasted

Attachments

·
Registered
'21 CX-30 2.5 Sky G Pref AWD Red
157 Posts
If just in the clear, it can be touched up and buffed out. If it went into the paint, maybe, but could end up worse for trying...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If just in the clear, it can be touched up and buffed out. If it went into the paint, maybe, but could end up worse for trying...
it didn’t touch the paint thankfully. Just scratched the black plastic bumper. There is a cutout of a license plate stamped into it. I’ll try to upload a more detailed pic

·
Registered
'21 CX-30 2.5 Sky G Pref AWD Red
157 Posts
it didn’t touch the paint thankfully. Just scratched the black plastic bumper. There is a cutout of a license plate stamped into it. I’ll try to upload a more detailed pic
Ok, cant see it good - not sure if there is a coating on them. I think the surface is the actual plastic. If it actually compressed the plastic without scratching it may come back a little with temp changes. Otherwise some kind of filler would be required. Yes plastics can be sanded, but would be difficult to end up with same surface texture - may end up with something much worse looking. There are lots of products for restoring black plastic. One of those might help hide it.

·
Registered
Mazda CX30 SP 2021
53 Posts
I saw some pen-looking things on websites. You use them on the scratch and they kind of fill them and make them as they are not there. Also, I saw some wax-looking things working as the same pen-looking things.

I'm new to the forum and I don't know if I can post a link, if I cannot a moderator can delete the link. Sorry again.
this is just one of them and its really cheap. if you scroll down you can see the feedbacks from people who bought the product. And they are so happy. You can check pictures of them too.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 i Sport - Sonic Silver
40 Posts
I think the problem is that the scratches are not in the paint, but in the plastic portion of the bumper. In my case the scratch involves the black plastic, so paint-based touch up pens will not work. Maybe there are products that restore the black color of the plastic, but will not fill the scratch as the touch up pens do...

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan SE (6-MT)
19 Posts
Whoever hit you (or their insurance company) should be buying you a newly installed OEM plastic bumper cover. Perhaps that will teach them to pay attention to their driving next time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whoever hit you (or their insurance company) should be buying you a newly installed OEM plastic bumper cover. Perhaps that will teach them to pay attention to their driving next time.
yep, I think that’s what will happen.Thank you to everyone for your help! Here’s a better look at the main scratch on my bumper
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
2020 CX30 Touring, Vision, SnowflakeWhitePearl
40 Posts
There is no way to fix it per se. You can try and cover it up with touch up products, but I can guarantee there is no way to 'fix it'. I noticed some scratches on my wheel arch trim upon pickup of my ex-demo CX-30 and they opted to replace all affected panels at the drop of a hat, saying there is no way to fix it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts