Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
GT Sport Tech - driven by the wife
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had the wife’s CX-30 serviced this morning at Burrows York. £165 for its first service. I advised that the fuel door has just stopped fitting flush with the surrounding bodywork. When closed it’s proud enough to get your fingers behind the door and pull it open. Burrows checked and there’s a TSB for the fuel door. Apparently water is getting trapped behind the fuel door (amongst the black plastic parts behind the door) resulting in the door blowing out and being distorted. It requires a new door (the painted part) plus a modification to the rear black plastic section to cut a drain hole in it. Naturally there’s a delay on getting new doors from Japan. Check yours now and if your fuel door isn’t perfectly flush get it changed.

·
Registered
2020 Preferred Snowflake AWD
237 Posts
Water definitely gets trapped behind the fuel door, but I haven't experienced the door distorting...yet. I'm sure that's next.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess when the trapped water freezes (and expands) that’s when the door is distorted. My wife’s car lives outside and we’ve had a week or so of -4 Celsius during the night here in the U.K. hence the door blowing out. The TSB I looked at was quite comprehensive with several colour photos showing where to cut the drain holes. Seemingly, the painted part of the fuel door comes unpainted so your dealers needs to get it painted. We’ve been told the car will be needed overnight to allow for painting so we’ll get a courtesy car.

·
Registered
237 Posts
From the TSB I saw this issue was for Mexico made Canada spec cars only. Regardless, you'd think Mazda could properly design a fuel door. Apparently not...

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
270 Posts
I guess when the trapped water freezes (and expands) that’s when the door is distorted. My wife’s car lives outside and we’ve had a week or so of -4 Celsius during the night here in the U.K. hence the door blowing out. The TSB I looked at was quite comprehensive with several colour photos showing where to cut the drain holes. Seemingly, the painted part of the fuel door comes unpainted so your dealers needs to get it painted. We’ve been told the car will be needed overnight to allow for painting so we’ll get a courtesy car.
I noticed my door doesn't lie flat - I'll have to ask the dealer to take a look.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some snaps showing the ill fitting fuel door. It’s still locked with the central locking but it’s now easy to get your fingers behind it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The underside of the plastic part behind the fuel door has no drainage holes so the plastic box fills up with water, expands when frozen and pops the fuel door away from the car. Can’t understand how Mazda missed that one.

·
Registered
237 Posts
View attachment 1378
The underside of the plastic part behind the fuel door has no drainage holes so the plastic box fills up with water, expands when frozen and pops the fuel door away from the car. Can’t understand how Mazda missed that one.
My US model has the same issue. I've often wondering why water keeps coming out if there days later. How dumb. How hard would it be to pull that off and drill your own drain holes I wonder?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My own car (not a Mazda) has weeps holes in the lid and a slit along the bottom of the plastic

·
Registered
AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated
682 Posts
So far mine seems ok ... Touch wood .. and it gets weekly washes useing a power washer so water would be bound to get in there with such force .. I do notice this that I always have to pop the fuel door open to dry the inside .. tho this is good info ! I will be keeping an eye out and @LFGM# off topic to this but my door unlock on the door handle has been working and I'm waiting for it to flake out again as it's been good for almost 2 week's 🙃 so random of a issue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You’d think that if Mazda have to supply a new fuel lid that it would have been better to have received a new 2021-spec door with pre-drilled holes rather than let the dealer drill some holes with a drill Into the original plastic part. Oh well, at least the wonky holes will be hidden.

·
Registered
237 Posts
So far mine seems ok ... Touch wood .. and it gets weekly washes useing a power washer so water would be bound to get in there with such force .. I do notice this that I always have to pop the fuel door open to dry the inside .. tho this is good info ! I will be keeping an eye out and @LFGM# off topic to this but my door unlock on the door handle has been working and I'm waiting for it to flake out again as it's been good for almost 2 week's 🙃 so random of a issue.
Mine works too now. Has to be moisture related...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks SixRotors. Photos are fine and clearly show the ‘21 spec drain holes.
How did Mazda not come up with this before during a zillion miles of testing in artic conditions in Scandinavia and northern Canada.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
660 Posts
mine has the same slots as "Sixrotors" shows in the photo above and it's a 2020 model.

·
Registered
Mazda CX30 GT Sport Tech Skyactive X Auto Deep Crystal Blue
58 Posts
Noticed the same problem on mine a few weeks ago, so pleased to see the comments as I will now bring this up with the dealer when it is serviced next week.

·
Registered
237 Posts
mine has the same slots as "Sixrotors" shows in the photo above and it's a 2020 model.

View attachment 1386
What country do you reside in? The US 2020 model does not have any slots. I'm convinced based on the issues I've had that there was a production run of about 10K cars that were just trash, all made in Mexico.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts