Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2017 Mazda 3 2.0 petrol manual (UK Sport Nav spec.) and am looking to change. I would be interested in another Mazda 3 but the new model has a lower ground clearance and won't satisfy my requirements. I do long distance trips on which Mazda 3 achieves 52 mpg (UK) and about 42 mpg in local driving. My main dislike of the car is excessive road / tyre noise on rougher tarmac.

A Mazda CX-30 (SE-Lux trim in the UK) looks good on paper and may be more refined for long distance trips than my current car. I've seen various car reviews which generally recommend to pay more for the SkyActiv X engine but I'm not convinced. The SkyActiv X engine is reported to be harsh when cold and at low speeds, not as rapid as the power suggests and there is a diesel-like clatter at idle and low revs. The SkyActiv X version is also lower geared resulting in higher engine rpm compared to the SkyActiv G. Based on UK prices, I will need to drive 140,000 miles to recoup the extra purchase cost of the SkyActiv X in fuel savings which is never going to be realised for me.

Are CX-30 owners content with the performance, refinement (noise) and fuel consumption of the their SkyActiv G cars (manual) on long distance motorway trips? My current Mazda 3 can handle the length of the M1 in 6th gear at 70 mph without needing the change down at c. 2400 rpm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the SE L LUX trim, absolutely love it, mines an auto though , not manual. i did a trip to london from the midlands a few weeks ago and used just under a quarter of a tank of petrol ( 230 mile round trip ) unsure if its the Hybrid system that helps along side the cylinder de activation too

·
Registered
CX30 GT SPORT. A Road cyclists who drives a CX30 on the odd occasion...
401 Posts
we have the G spec engine in our manual gt sport, so far we are very pleased with it , 40+ mpg around town/ mixed driving, on a couple of trips over 200 miles it returned 58 mpg.. we tested it along with the X spec, but tbh we didn't feel the extra was justifed for us, i don't think the extra £ will be returned in better mpg...also servicing cost are more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we have the G spec engine in our manual gt sport, so far we are very pleased with it , 40+ mpg around town/ mixed driving, on a couple of trips over 200 miles it returned 58 mpg.. we tested it along with the X spec, but tbh we didn't feel the extra was justifed for us, i don't think the extra £ will be returned in better mpg...also servicing cost are more.
Thanks. 58 mpg is excellent considering my 2017 Mazda 3 does around 50 mpg at 70 mph on a long trip. How do you find the road / tyre noise which can be poor on my Mazda 3 on rougher tarmac? As I posted, you would would need to drive c. 140,000 miles to recouop the extra cost of the Skyactiv G engine in fuel savings.

·
Registered
CX30 GT SPORT. A Road cyclists who drives a CX30 on the odd occasion...
401 Posts
As with everything... Everyone has different views / driving styles.. so a long test drive is always best.. we have has x2 mazda2 and a cx3 before the Cx30.. ... This is the best by far..more refined..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had my choices narrowed down quite a bit in the end, top spec GT Sport Tech in Auto, don’t know if Skyactiv G was even an option at that level but I had a handful of X’s to chose from within a reasonable range from home.
Yes there is a bit of diesel-ish noise when it’s cold but overall it’s still much quieter to drive than my old 12 plate 3 TS2. The Skyactiv X doesn’t do the cylinder deactivation trick but you do get SPCCI which, along with the MHEV system, definitely makes it more economical than my old 3.
I get just under 50 MPG commuting and quite a bit better on longer 100 mile + trips.

·
Registered
Mazda CX30 GT Sport Tech Skyactive X Auto
27 Posts
Due to virus lockdown I have hardly used my CX30 having just reached 2k miles in 10 months. However, I have noticed that my cumulative fuel average on my Skyactive X engine has now 42.6 miles which I consider good considering most of my journeys are short and on urban roads.

When originally trying out both engines I did notice the G engine was quieter around town than the X, but the X is better at speed and certainly has much more oomph on acceleration.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I test drove several models before buying the ‘X’ I have now. Only on one of them did I discover the Energy Flow Monitor and I’m sure I saw the wheels on the graphic turning backwards when it was doing its regenerative braking. I’m thinking this must’ve been a ‘G’, as mine doesn’t do this.
Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I test drove several models before buying the ‘X’ I have now. Only on one of them did I discover the Energy Flow Monitor and I’m sure I saw the wheels on the graphic turning backwards when it was doing its regenerative braking. I’m thinking this must’ve been a ‘G’, as mine doesn’t do this.
Has anyone else seen this?
Yeah, i have this on my G mate

·
Registered
25 Posts
My X engine has this feature, I will play about and find how to access it
I think they all have the Energy Flow monitor Jon, it’s just slightly different depending on whether you’ve got cylinder deactivation or SPCCI.
It may just be a different mod state that determines whether the wheels go backwards or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts