Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Mazda Mazda3
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea when we get Skyactiv X engines in US and Canada? I want to buy a new cx30 but don't want to buy another 2.5 engine or older proven technology. I want better mpg and engine refinement. The engine cover also looks sweet where you can twist 2 caps and remove.

The 2.0 in my 2014 3 is buzzy and not the best tbh. Mpg could be better.

I want a CX30 with 2.0 Skyactiv X. Also I'd like an 8 speed auto replacing the tried and true 6.

Any opinions from those who've driven the x engine like in Europe🧐

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
813 Posts
Many say that the Skyactiv G is more responsive than the Skyactiv X and that the extra mpg claims are not worth the extra cost of the car. I happen to have the Skyactiv X on mine and I am .. underwhelmed, if I am honest. I found the engine only really pulls if you rev it hard; at low revs you sometimes wonder if the engine is actually pulling. I also notice the engine seems to pinking more than I'd expect even with the expected SPCCI active.

MPG in real life is pretty good, but not spectacular. I'm averaging 42mpg UK overall (35mpg US / 6.73 l/100km). I can get over 50mpg UK if I try hard and it's a reasonable length journey.

The ride is pretty good, although, coming from the Mazda 3 you may notice a bit more body roll than you're used to? It certainly holds the road better than the other crossovers I tried when choosing the CX-30.

I can't comment on the auto transmission as I went for the manual for my model. I wasn't impressed with the Mazda auto box having driven two BMWs fitted with their auto box as part of the evaluation.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,436 Posts
comparing the fuel economy of people driving in Europe with the "X" is not the same as if you was driving the same engine in Alberta.

Not sure why you think the 2.5L does not provide good fuel economy or refinement. I'm impressed with the fuel economy of my 2.5L It's smooth and has lots of power, couldn't ask for a better match with the 6-spd auto.

I just got back from a 4500 km trip and over 7 fill ups it ranged from the worst of 6.9 to 6.0 (which is 41 mpg to 47 mpg UK), on one 200 km stretch I was getting 5.5 average which is 51 mpg UK.

Maybe by the time you are ready they might have a hybrid version like they provide in the UK.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda Mazda3
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
comparing the fuel economy of people driving in Europe with the "X" is not the same as if you was driving the same engine in Alberta.

Not sure why you think the 2.5L does not provide good fuel economy or refinement. I'm impressed with the fuel economy of my 2.5L It's smooth and has lots of power, couldn't ask for a better match with the 6-spd auto.

I just got back from a 4500 km trip and over 7 fill ups it ranged from the worst of 6.9 to 6.0 (which is 41 mpg to 47 mpg UK), on one 200 km stretch I was getting 5.5 average which is 51 mpg UK.

Maybe by the time you are ready they might have a hybrid version like they provide in the UK.
I like the 2.0 and I did drive a 2.5 in the CX5 and 3 hatch. I just want something new is all. With covid I see prices are so insane and I want to get the best technology for my money 🤩

I like mazda but they need to focus on increasing cabin space and visibility. Perfect car nonetheless 🙂

·
Registered
2014 Mazda Mazda3
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many say that the Skyactiv G is more responsive than the Skyactiv X and that the extra mpg claims are not worth the extra cost of the car. I happen to have the Skyactiv X on mine and I am .. underwhelmed, if I am honest. I found the engine only really pulls if you rev it hard; at low revs you sometimes wonder if the engine is actually pulling. I also notice the engine seems to pinking more than I'd expect even with the expected SPCCI active.

MPG in real life is pretty good, but not spectacular. I'm averaging 42mpg UK overall (35mpg US / 6.73 l/100km). I can get over 50mpg UK if I try hard and it's a reasonable length journey.

The ride is pretty good, although, coming from the Mazda 3 you may notice a bit more body roll than you're used to? It certainly holds the road better than the other crossovers I tried when choosing the CX-30.

I can't comment on the auto transmission as I went for the manual for my model. I wasn't impressed with the Mazda auto box having driven two BMWs fitted with their auto box as part of the evaluation.
I want Skyactiv X so bad lol.
You uk people are lucky. Get the best technology and cars and also home to musicians I admire like Rita Ora and Dua Lipa 🤩😍

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
813 Posts
The 'hybrid' I have is a mild hybrid. It doesn't really power the car from the battery - more uses the battery (which is tiny) to help starting the car from i-stop and assisting the engine during driving. See more here:

·
Registered
2020 CX30 2litre GT Sport Tech
42 Posts
Unlike Savcom I don't experience those issues. I get an easy 46pg and well over 50 on a long steady run. The car pulls well and I rarely have to go over 2500rpm. It does have the 'blip' flat spot at around 2000rpm but apart from that for the weight of the car and with a 2 litre petrol I think it goes very well and is very efficient.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 eSkyactiv-X GT Plus
10 Posts
I happen to have the Skyactiv X on mine and I am .. underwhelmed, if I am honest. I found the engine only really pulls if you rev it hard; at low revs you sometimes wonder if the engine is actually pulling.
I second this. Overall, I'm not impressed by the engine, but I'm also not disappointed. It's OK.

Engine pulls good on the open road with 4 people and luggage. So, I can comfortably drive down to the coast when I need to. It doesn't burn oil and has okay MPG. However, it doesn't sound too good.

I like the fact that it’s 2.0L naturally aspirated engine because so many alternatives in EU are downsized turbos. I wanted to get something with VW 1.5 TSI turbo engine and I’m happy I didn’t ("kangaroo" issues).

If it stays reliable for the next 5 years, I will be more than happy with it.

On the other hand, clutch and gearbox are great. Really smooth switching between gears.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any idea when we get Skyactiv X engines in US and Canada? I want to buy a new cx30 but don't want to buy another 2.5 engine or older proven technology. I want better mpg and engine refinement. The engine cover also looks sweet where you can twist 2 caps and remove.

The 2.0 in my 2014 3 is buzzy and not the best tbh. Mpg could be better.

I want a CX30 with 2.0 Skyactiv X. Also I'd like an 8 speed auto replacing the tried and true 6.

Any opinions from those who've driven the x engine like in Europe🧐
186 Skyactiv X and definitely better than the G, having driven both. Can't say on economy as too early but in general its a good drive. The other car is a 320i and the gearbox isn't as good but the 8HP in the BMW is exceptional. Low down torque is good on the 186 and it revs out really well.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda Mazda3
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
186 Skyactiv X and definitely better than the G, having driven both. Can't say on economy as too early but in general its a good drive. The other car is a 320i and the gearbox isn't as good but the 8HP in the BMW is exceptional. Low down torque is good on the 186 and it revs out really well.
I want a 2.5 Skyactiv X in the cx5 😣 240 hp and loads of torque on regular fuel ftw 🥱

1 - 11 of 11 Posts