Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Machine Gray CX-30
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am having a problem with Smart Brake on my new CX-30. Twice in the last couple of weeks, it has engaged during stop and go traffic when there was no reason and I was under normal braking. Caused sudden lock up and behind cars nearly crashed into me (angry horns). But the scary part is the brakes completely disengage for about a 1/2 of second before the lock up, so I came within inches of banging the vehicle in front. So it didn't augment the braking... it actually disengaged and then locked. It created a near collision when there wasn't.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Can it be disabled?

·
Registered
PAST OWNER OF A AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated-curently have a 100th Anniversary edition mazda 3
743 Posts
Am having a problem with Smart Brake on my new CX-30. Twice in the last couple of weeks, it has engaged during stop and go traffic when there was no reason and I was under normal braking. Caused sudden lock up and behind cars nearly crashed into me (angry horns). But the scary part is the brakes completely disengage for about a 1/2 of second before the lock up, so I came within inches of banging the vehicle in front. So it didn't augment the braking... it actually disengaged and then locked. It created a near collision when there wasn't.

Can it be disabled?
So I take it you are getting a BRAKE! Message and then it slams the brakes on? For no reason.. there has been a known defect issue with the front sonar sensor... I had mine replaced under warranty.. and somebody else on here did to.. my dealership has replaced 4 already as they told me .. I would consolt with your dealership as ever since mine has been replaced never has happened again ...

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Premium
33 Posts

Can it be disabled?
That's not encouraging. I actually don't like this feature and asked the dealer if it could be disabled and he said no. Read the manual, and there's nothing there about disabling it.

I'd like to engage it when I want to, not automatically on it's own. Especially on level ground.

·
Registered
PAST OWNER OF A AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated-curently have a 100th Anniversary edition mazda 3
743 Posts
That's not encouraging. I actually don't like this feature and asked the dealer if it could be disabled and he said no. Read the manual, and there's nothing there about disabling it.

I'd like to engage it when I want to, not automatically on it's own. Especially on level ground.
mine was doing the same thing last summer.. Took it to the dealer and they ordered a new sonar sensor because after they talked to Mazda technical and they told the dealership to order and replace the sonar sensor with a revised new one because Mazda is aware of the problem and it is a faulty sonar sensor.. and the BRAKE message IS NOT NORMAL AROUND CORNERS ETC.. Since mine has been replaced It stopped having the false positives.. PLEASE ADDRESS THIS WITH YOUR DEALER ASAP:) this is not normal behavior and can be fixed.

·
Registered
2021 CX30 2.5 Turbo, black
22 Posts

Here's a fact you may find interesting. If this idiotic braking software gets you into a collision the car's computer will not have recorded it. I'm sure it was Mazda's attorneys who insisted on that. I want mine OFF, but they won't do it. Starting to look for a different car or maybe suing the dealer to get it disabled.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have you changed the sensibility of that "feature" in the settings to the least sensitive already?
Yes. The problem is the software is simply not sophisticated enough to perform its intended function without being obtrusive and annoying. I paid for the car, I own it. There is no law forcing the use of nanny state computer controls. The safety functions do not enhance the performance or the economy of the car. Why does Mazda insist on alienating and possibly endangering many of it's customers unnecessarily? The sad answer is culture.

I want my Jeep back.

·
Registered
144 Posts
... I paid for the car, I own it. There is no law forcing the use of nanny state computer controls. ...
in all seriousness though, why did you buy it then? It's not like Mazda tried to hide these features, they promoted them as new safety enhancements that came with the car. I think a lot of new cars have similar features too, so it's not really just a Mazda thing. Although maybe others let you disable them permanently, I don't know. I just think if not having those features is that important to you then it would be a priority for you to read-up a bit more before buying the car.

·
Registered
CX-30 G122 AT Comfort Machine Grey
148 Posts
@JKX Please read this Collision avoidance system - Wikipedia , it's not that Mazda (or any other brand) is implementing these kind of systems voluntary on their new models. For EU it is mandatory on new models and US apparently currently an agreement between all car makers before a regulatory process kicks in. So you have to buy an older introduced car which doesn't need to comply to all these nanny-rules. Preferably the Jeep you seem to like so much but nevertheless replaced by a CX-30 when you picked a new car. Or ask your dealer to recalibrate the camera (this might help for false positives, there is a procedure for that, we can't start that ourselves). Or last possibility you block or eliminate in some way the radar sensor (it's in the front Mazda logo) and all safety features are off (but normal cruise as well) and accept a continuous warning in the display and possible unknown effects in the long term.

·
Registered
22 Posts
in all seriousness though, why did you buy it then? It's not like Mazda tried to hide these features, they promoted them as new safety enhancements that came with the car. I think a lot of new cars have similar features too, so it's not really just a Mazda thing. Although maybe others let you disable them permanently, I don't know. I just think if not having those features is that important to you then it would be a priority for you to read-up a bit more before buying the car.
Amazing! So it doesn't annoy you that the car company has included firmware which overrides your ability to control the vehicle and then refuses to disable it. When you order steak in a restaurant does the waitress choose something more healthful for you and bring you that instead? It's about time to stand up there buddy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Amazing! So it doesn't annoy you that the car company has included firmware which overrides your ability to control the vehicle and then refuses to disable it. When you order steak in a restaurant does the waitress choose something more healthful for you and bring you that instead? It's about time to stand up there buddy.
But you can turn the features off ... you just don't seem to want to do that.

You can still get the steak, you just need to ask for it each time you go to the restaurant.

Personally I like the new safety features. If I didn't want them I would have bought a different car that didn't have them.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Select AWD
174 Posts
Good luck with that sir. This is just the beginning. If you think you or anyone else is going to stop the auto industry from implementing any of these safety features, as annoying or unwanted they are, you have forever to try.

What do you think will happen when they finally get to driverless vehicles...

I don't necessarily like it any more than you do, but this is what's happening, it's not going to change now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good luck with that sir. This is just the beginning. If you think you or anyone else is going to stop the auto industry from implementing any of these safety features, as annoying or unwanted they are, you have forever to try.

What do you think will happen when they finally get to driverless vehicles...

I don't necessarily like it any more than you do, but this is what's happening, it's not going to change now.

You can still get the steak, you just need to ask for it each time you go to the restaurant.

Personally I like the new safety features. If I didn't want them I would have bought a different car that didn't have them.

You cannot turn the features off. It's like every time you order steak the waitress comes back with kale salad leaving you to argue with the manager over and over and over. You may not like the concept of free choice, but many of us do. Every car you buy now has this crap on it. It's time to take off those pajamas, put on a pair of boots and make your own choices. Interestingly, the car does not record when it takes control away from you. If the vaunted "safety features" get you rear ended by a semi there will be no way to prove it. Who is more likely to make a life saving decision the licensed driver who is in the driver's seat or some third world computer programmer 10,000 miles away and a year before who probably doesn't even have a car.
Please excuse my irritated tone. I'm 75 years old having survived a year of jungle combat and sixty years of driving with no computer help. I've made a huge number of existential decisions at this point. During one medical adventure ten years ago I actually had to tell Hospice I chose death. Even though I didn't ultimately die it was still the right decision under the circumstances. We live in a world now in which male testosterone levels have been steadily dropping for decades. Men in general are constantly having to apologize for the very instincts that have saved us from predators and competitors over the millennia. If you like the kale salad fine, but some of us want the freedom to choose.
Best wishes,
Joe

·
Registered
22 Posts
You have to disable it each time you start the car. I think that's already been explained.
I knew that, but thanks. Ironically, when I start the car it shows a warning about distracted driving. If I forget to turn the crap off I find myself driving while scrolling through menus to do it. I recall my mother saying "Joey, sometimes you drive me to distraction."
Now I know what she meant :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
You have to disable it each time you start the car. I think that's already been explained.
Carbon buddy, I've been put on notice that my comment about women preferring safety over liberty has crossed the political correctness line. Thank you for your time and concern, but I guess I'm outa here. Wish I had kept my Jeep :).
Joe

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Select AWD
174 Posts
Carbon buddy, I've been put on notice that my comment about women preferring safety over liberty has crossed the political correctness line. Thank you for your time and concern, but I guess I'm outa here. Wish I had kept my Jeep :).
Joe
Good luck JKX. I hope you find what you are looking for

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.