Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo Premium
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have the AWD Turbo Premium, which will be my transportation from Portland up to Mt. Hood 1-2 times a month between Nov-Mar each year.

I just ordered a set of the Bridgestone Blizzaks in the OEM size (215/55R18) from Discount Tire with the plan of having them swap the existing all-seasons and the Blizzaks twice a year.

Later I noticed that Discount Tire carries this inexpensive Liquid Metal Atom rim (16x6.5, 41 offset) for $75. Combine that with the less-expensive 16" Blizzaks, and the rim+tire cost ends up being (75*4)+(117*4) = $768 (not including mounting/balancing). Compare this to $688 for just the four 18" Blizzak tires.

So my questions are:
  1. Does anyone know definitively if the aforementioned 16" Liquid Metal rims fit on the Turbo Premiums (e.g. do they clear everything)?
  2. Is this a good winter setup given the mild PacNW winters? Or would 17" or 18" wheels be better?
Aesthetics are not an issue (and actually I think the "ugly" steel Atoms look cool).

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus in Snowflake White Pearl
39 Posts
Hi all,

I have the AWD Turbo Premium, which will be my transportation from Portland up to Mt. Hood 1-2 times a month between Nov-Mar each year.

I just ordered a set of the Bridgestone Blizzaks in the OEM size (215/55R18) from Discount Tire with the plan of having them swap the existing all-seasons and the Blizzaks twice a year.

Later I noticed that Discount Tire carries this inexpensive Liquid Metal Atom rim (16x6.5, 41 offset) for $75. Combine that with the less-expensive 16" Blizzaks, and the rim+tire cost ends up being (75*4)+(117*4) = $768 (not including mounting/balancing). Compare this to $688 for just the four 18" Blizzak tires.

So my questions are:
  1. Does anyone know definitively if the aforementioned 16" Liquid Metal rims fit on the Turbo Premiums (e.g. do they clear everything)?
  2. Is this a good winter setup given the mild PacNW winters? Or would 17" or 18" wheels be better?
Aesthetics are not an issue (and actually I think the "ugly" steel Atoms look cool).

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
16” wheels do not fit the turbo models: the rear calipers are too big for them. I suggest considering a set of OEM wheels used, 17” or 18”. I think CX-5 17” wheels will fit, but don’t quote me on that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ran Blizzaks for over 10 years, good tires. 2 years ago I switched to Michelin X-Ice 3, I like them better. These were ran on my 2015 Mazda 3.
This year, I couldnt get X-Ice 3 that fit the wheels and car, going with 215/60-R17 Michelin X-Ice Snow on CX5 17" wheels.... Will update post next spring.

You will be happy with any true snow tire over a set of all seasons.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo Premium
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran Blizzaks for over 10 years, good tires. 2 years ago I switched to Michelin X-Ice 3, I like them better. These were ran on my 2015 Mazda 3.
This year, I couldnt get X-Ice 3 that fit the wheels and car, going with 215/60-R17 Michelin X-Ice Snow on CX5 17" wheels.... Will update post next spring.

You will be happy with any true snow tire over a set of all seasons.
Thanks for the feedback. What in particular do you like better about the X-Ice 3 tires?

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo Premium
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
16” wheels do not fit the turbo models: the rear calipers are too big for them. I suggest considering a set of OEM wheels used, 17” or 18”. I think CX-5 17” wheels will fit, but don’t quote me on that.
Interesting -- thanks for that info. I thought I had remembered reading that 16's wouldn't fit the turbo models as well. That said, DiscountTire's compatibility checker indicates the 16" Atoms would fit, and when I called them, the tech said they would fit too. But I have a strong hunch they're incorrect.

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus in Snowflake White Pearl
39 Posts
Interesting -- thanks for that info. I thought I had remembered reading that 16's wouldn't fit the turbo models as well. That said, DiscountTire's compatibility checker indicates the 16" Atoms would fit, and when I called them, the tech said they would fit too. But I have a strong hunch they're incorrect.
The compatibility checker doesn't show a trim option for the Turbos, I bet.... Yep, just checked: only offers "Premium AWD" as the best trim level. That's probably why they say it'll fit.

·
Registered
'21 2.5L Turbo AWD on Order
29 Posts
Tire Rack's compatibility checker confirms 16x7 wheels will fit on the Turbo model.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD - Machine Grey Metallic
187 Posts
I've had Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires in the past (FWD car) and am currently on Blizzak WS90s (on my CX-30). They are both outstanding tires and more than capable in most winter conditions we get up here in Ontario north of the GTA. I would say between the two that the Bridgestones might be a little better suited to deep snow, since it has more aggressive block spacing, while the X-Ice might have a small advantage on ice and wet roads. I have no first hand experience with Michelin's new X-Snow design. Regardless, almost any dedicated snow tire is miles ahead of any all-season or even all-weather tires, so if you're likely to see snow and slush (rather than mostly cold temperatures and wet roads), they're the way to go.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 AWD T
33 Posts
I can confirm that a 16" steelie fits on the CX-30 turbo with no issues. Recommend Hankook iPike for mid-point pricing with above average performance.

I asked my mechanic to spec out steelies for the base model with 16" rim. I've driven it at 120km and everything is okay.

195/65/16 was the tire spec. Not sure what the offset or rim specs are but if you ask to get the stock 16" specs it'll be that.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo Premium
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can confirm that a 16" steelie fits on the CX-30 turbo with no issues. Recommend Hankook iPike for mid-point pricing with above average performance.

I asked my mechanic to spec out steelies for the base model with 16" rim. I've driven it at 120km and everything is okay.

195/65/16 was the tire spec. Not sure what the offset or rim specs are but if you ask to get the stock 16" specs it'll be that.
Thanks for the info!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts