Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just hit 1100 miles on my new 2022 cx 30 and I went out this morning to start the car. It was about 78 degrees F. The second I started it up this morning there was a weird vibrating noise coming from the motor. It goes away after about 5-10 seconds of the engine running. Has anyone run into this noise? I went to work thinking about it all day and then when I went to start my vehicle up about an hour ago it was 95 degrees F out and it still made the noise. I'm assuming it's going to sound pretty horrible when its actually cold out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to give the car back to the service department already. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2022 Mazda CX-30 Preferred
38 Posts
On a cold start the engine will purposefully alter the timing of the engine to warm up the catalytic converter faster. This can sound like a buzzing/rattling sound and usually lasts a handful of seconds.

But like OldFart said we’d need to hear it.

·
Registered
22 CX 30 Turbo GT Sonic Silver & 22 3 Sport Soul Red
116 Posts
So I just hit 1100 miles on my new 2022 cx 30 and I went out this morning to start the car. It was about 78 degrees F. The second I started it up this morning there was a weird vibrating noise coming from the motor. It goes away after about 5-10 seconds of the engine running. Has anyone run into this noise? I went to work thinking about it all day and then when I went to start my vehicle up about an hour ago it was 95 degrees F out and it still made the noise. I'm assuming it's going to sound pretty horrible when its actually cold out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to give the car back to the service department already. Thank you in advance!
Let me say this, you would rather someone here try to figure out this new odd sound instead of taking back to the dealer when it’s under warranty?

Reactions: Seanhfx

·
Registered
2022 Mazda CX-30 Preferred
38 Posts
It’s okay to ask questions online about something that could be potentially solved with a simple answer vs. wasting hours of your day waiting to get an answer from the dealership. To many mechanics all they need to hear is a sound to get a general idea of what’s happening.

To the poster, you could check out this video I found because you made me curious.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It’s okay to ask questions online about something that could be potentially solved with a simple answer vs. wasting hours of your day waiting to get an answer from the dealership. To many mechanics all they need to hear is a sound to get a general idea of what’s happening.

To the poster, you could check out this video I found because you made me curious.

Yeah sure it’s okay to ask questions online, I agree. But from the OP this is something new, not a 40F cold start, and is it really a waste of time to have a Mazda mechanic diagnose a odd sound on a new vehicle under warranty that you paid for? At least it will be documented if there is a bigger issue down the road. Having someone online saying it’s normal and all is good is risky.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your responses. I’m pretty sure the noise will be with me for the rest of the cats life. I think it’s like old fart said and many other people. It’s the exhaust valve closing to heat up the cat converter faster. It’s just weird it never made the noise up until 1,100 miles. I’ll keep an eye on it and try and get a better video. As to why I’m not bringing it to the dealer. They’re swamped right now with backed up work and I know that if I bring it there it will sit for a week or two and I’m not positive they’ll be able to find the noise only because it’s on startup and kind of when you’re on the highway going around 60mph giving it gas does the vibration/rattle start happening. So I can’t be out of a car if they don’t give me a loaner and I sure as hell don’t want to pay for one after buying a brand new car. We’ll give it some time. I don’t think there’s any harm being done.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It’s just weird it never made the noise up until 1,100 miles. I’m not positive they’ll be able to find the noise only because it’s on startup and kind of when you’re on the highway going around 60mph giving it gas does the vibration/rattle start happening. I don’t think there’s any harm being done.
Well now I am confused because you now mention it can do this on the highway around 60mph.
But you do you, I would take your service manager or salesman for a ride and replicate the sound, and ask them if that’s normal. Don’t take no for an answer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well now I am confused because you now mention it can do this on the highway around 60mph.
But you do you, I would take your service manager or salesman for a ride and replicate the sound, and ask them if that’s normal. Don’t take no for an answer.
The noise at 60mph sounds more like a vibration. The video I posted is what I hear on a cold start up. The noise while driving is probably just a heat shield I’m guessing.

·
Registered
2022 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus AWD (Polymetal Gray)
61 Posts
Your initial start recording is much more rattily than mine. Mine (as all will) revs higher for several seconds, but even that sounds smooth and rattle free. That and your vibration at 60mph suggest you should heed the advise of @Trickster and take it to the dealer for diagnosis.

Please report back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your initial start recording is much more rattily than mine. Mine (as all will) revs higher for several seconds, but even that sounds smooth and rattle free. That and your vibration at 60mph suggest you should heed the advise of @Trickster and take it to the dealer for diagnosis.

Please report back.
That’s not my video. Just a reference. I think the noise at 60mph is a heat shield vibrating at certain rpm’s in 4th gear. I didn’t realize until now how many heat shields there actually were on this car until I started looking around. They’re all pretty terribly mounted/secured too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Decker141 Hey mate, I think I have the exactly same rattle noise of yours. Same mileage as yours (10k KM) . Same as the vid you've referred. Rattle noise by a cold start for couple seconds then come to normal engineer running sound.
I live in Canada, just sent my car to my dealership this morning to take a look. They said no problem at all , no exhaust leak. Totally free of charge in the first year. Hope it helps you to calm a bit.

I suggest you send your car all the way to the dealership.

·
Registered
116 Posts
@Decker141 Hey mate, I think I have the exactly same rattle noise of yours. Same mileage as yours (10k KM) . Same as the vid you've referred. Rattle noise by a cold start for couple seconds then come to normal engineer running sound.
I live in Canada, just sent my car to my dealership this morning to take a look. They said no problem at all , no exhaust leak. Totally free of charge in the FIRST year. Hope it helps you to calm a bit.

I suggest you send your car all the way to the dealership.
In Canada that should be free for the first 3 years of your factory warranty with unlimited kilometres.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’d like to update everyone on the noise I’ve been hearing. I’m not at 1500 miles and I saw something about upgrading the air filter. So I bought a k&n air filter and the noise is completely gone. Cold start ups and driving up a hill around 50 mph with some load on it. I’m guessing from the look of the stock filter that it was constricting the car a bit and now this new one allows it to breathe a little more. Whatever it was the filter has fixed the rattle. I wish I could point my finger and say that’s exactly what it was but I can’t. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The filter has fixed the rattle?
Or drowned it out?
That is very odd.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The filter has fixed the rattle?
Or drowned it out?
That is very odd.
It definitely doesn’t drown anything out. Not like the filter creates a noise if you were to get a full cold air intake. It seems to just allow the car to breathe a little easier. I think it was just a vibration of one of the heat shields that has now gone away. All I can say is that I drove the car the day before I installed the filter and it rattled. Installed the filter and no more rattle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well if it’s quiet now what more can you ask?
Glad the rattle is gone.
Still kinda bizarre though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well if it’s quiet now what more can you ask?
Glad the rattle is gone.
Still kinda bizarre though.
Can’t ask for much more. I’ll keep everyone updated about it and I’ll also try and find the original post I saw about someone recommending it and saying their rattle went away once installing one as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts