Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
'21 CX-30 2.5 Sky G Pref AWD Red
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty cool how the little speed limit sign pops up on the display. On main roads it usually pops up within seconds of passing a sign. But some back roads it doesn't work at all. Anybody know how this works?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The forward looking camera recognises traffic speed limit signs but sometimes misses them
That's what I thought at first, but it seams to always be right on state roads. But on some township roads with same signs clearly displayed, it consistently doesn't show speed limit.. And as far as I know my car doesn't have the 'sign reading' option. (preferred model) From what i read If you have the sign reader it will show stop signs as well.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if Nav saves anything to the computer?. I might pop the card out and see what it does without it. Saw another post on how to update it. Car was just built 4/21, but no idea how fresh the card was the stuck in it. Wonder if that is done at factory or dealer?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the US the information is coming from the navigation card. I believe in most of the rest of the world it uses the car’s cameras to recognize the road signs.
Confirmed!
Did my little experiment...Took the Nav card out and it didn't show any speed limits/signs. Put back in and it went right back to displaying it.. Also I watched close on one road as I pulled out of a store lot -It put up the speed limit with no sign there.

·
Premium Member
2021 Mazda CX-30 AWD Turbo Premiun, Soul Red
114 Posts
Mine picks up the speed limit signs using the navigation but the camera can change it also.
My camera also shows stop signs when it sees them.
I know it sees and changes the speed limit signs. While traveling on the interstate with 70 MPH the upper limit, it shows 70.
But due to recent upgrades to the interstate, they have posted 40 MPH signs on the shoulders to show minimum speed.
If I get too close to the shoulder, my camera sees the 40 MPH and changes my speed limit to 40 vice the correct 70.
All I have to do to get it back is pass the next 70 MPH sign and once the camera see it, it changes it back to normal.
Pretty cool.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've noticed my car sometimes picks up the "recommended" speed signs on onramps as if they were real speed limit signs.
What are you calling 'recommended'? As far as I know any posted speed limit or any other instructions on a sign is enforceable here. Including caution signs on ramps etc.

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo
301 Posts
In Canada we have yellow speed signs that are not an enforceable limit. They don't contain the word "maximum" or "limit" on them and are completely ignorable. They also tend to be ridiculously low numbers, basically the speed you'd want to drive if the road was covered in ice.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In Canada we have yellow speed signs that are not an enforceable limit. They don't contain the word "maximum" or "limit" on them and are completely ignorable. They also tend to be ridiculously low numbers, basically the speed you'd want to drive if the road was covered in ice.
That's what I thought you meant. We do have similar. I don't know of anyone ever being cited for them, but I think they could. bet if you had an accident they would get you for it.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo Machine Gray
6 Posts
Mine has also shown the minimum speed at times (40, even though speed limit is 70 and I'm doing 80, so speedometer shows I'm 40 over the speed limit), and also a 5. Just a 5. No idea why. Certainly can't be coming from navigation that way. Will have to research the 5 a bit more.

We also have digital speed limit signs here as well although not completely sure if those do or don't display properly.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine has also shown the minimum speed at times (40, even though speed limit is 70 and I'm doing 80, so speedometer shows I'm 40 over the speed limit), and also a 5. Just a 5. No idea why. Certainly can't be coming from navigation that way. Will have to research the 5 a bit more.

We also have digital speed limit signs here as well although not completely sure if those do or don't display properly.
I would think if you have the sign read option, it would override the navigation data. No idea what all it can ‘see’ though. I know my nav based system displayed the regular 35 mph one place going through a school zone with the 15 mph sign lit.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 SEL LUX
147 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Similar to the off-ramp curve signs that show an advised speed limit, I've noticed the camera also picks up a construction orange colored sign for a brief reduction in speed over a raised joint in a bridge, and then immediately picks up a normal speed limit sign just after it. 35 -> 25 -> 35. I've only got around 100 miles on it so I'm still new with the systems.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.