Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I bought a CX-30 2 days ago and the car already started giving me headaches The car doesn’t recognize the key and won’t start on top of that none of the locks work and the rear door doesn’t open. Anyone have a clue what that might be or have experience the same issues?

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,080 Posts
my first suggestion would be to make sure the batteries in the fob is have full charge capacity or just phone your dealer and tell them the problem and see what they suggest.

I've got no problems in that regard.

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
766 Posts
As the car is this new to you, I'd discuss this with the dealer you bought the car from. I've not experienced any issues with the fobs or locking/unlocking and driving the car so cannot really help further.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

·
Registered
2020 / AWD / Base
44 Posts
Cool video - good to know..

I had the nonworking issue with one of my fobs. The check for fob battery is to actually touch the fob to the start button and it should start even with a weak fob battery. It did not with the bad one.

One of mine worked perfectly. The other did not at all. The dealer had to order a new fob and program it to the car. Free of charge of course.

Do both your fobs not work or just one of them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
As the car is this new to you, I'd discuss this with the dealer you bought the car from. I've not experienced any issues with the fobs or locking/unlocking and driving the car so cannot really help further.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Hi , just returned my cx-30 to my mazda dealership, with starting problems, they changed the batteries in both fobs , although I said you can activate the doors from some distance away, the problem is I need to push the fob on the starter to start the car, they have never seen this problem before ,so they booked the car in for a couple of days. Hopefully to solve the problem.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 e-SKYACTIVE X MHEV GT Sport Tech Soul Red Crystal 2WD Manual
114 Posts
Hi , just returned my cx-30 to my mazda dealership, with starting problems, they changed the batteries in both fobs , although I said you can activate the doors from some distance away, the problem is I need to push the fob on the starter to start the car, they have never seen this problem before ,so they booked the car in for a couple of days. Hopefully to solve the problem.
Please let us know the outcome. Did you see any warnings on the instrument cluster regarding keys or key batteries and what colour light do you see on the "Push button start" when you try to start the car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same deal, one key car has an issue after one month. See a red blinking lock icon when the non-working is in the car, and you have to touch the fob to the start button to start the car. Funny thing is both keys still lock unlock car and work tailgate from a distance, so battery seems to be unlikely. It's a 2021, even if it is the key fob battery was defective, or draws top many milli Amps. The car battery also needed charging from sitting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please let us know the outcome. Did you see any warnings on the instrument cluster regarding keys or key batteries and what colour light do you see on the "Push button start" when you try to start the car?
Hi , my first fob had the problem 6 months ago, so just used my second fob , the warning on the dash reads no key detected , then press your fob on your start button, which is still green. Will let you know the outcome, my car doesn't go in until the 11th.

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
766 Posts
Hi , my first fob had the problem 6 months ago, so just used my second fob , the warning on the dash reads no key detected , then press your fob on your start button, which is still green. Will let you know the outcome, my car doesn't go in until the 11th.
Good luck with the investigation. You may need to give them both fobs to help them investigate.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It is a wild guess, but do you by any chance have your key set to a power saving mode (maybe by accident)? I have one of my keys setup like that and it behaves exactly as you described. Basically, the Advanced keyless entry stops working, but you can still open the car using the button on the fob. You can check if your key is in this mode by pressing any button on the fob. If no red light appears above the lock button this will mean that the key is likely to be in the power save mode.

Anyway, good luck with your visit to the dealer and their investigation. Lets hope it is something simple.

Here is an extract from the manual describing Power saving function, which might help:

"By turning on the transmitter power saving function, the advanced keyless entry and push button start system functions turn off and the battery power consumption of the transmitter is restricted.
The remote control function is operational by operating the transmitter switch even while the power saving function is turned on. However, the operation indicator light of the transmitter does not turn on/flash.

Turning on the power saving function
After you have turned on the power saving function according to the following procedure, the hazard warning lights and sound operate one time.
  1. Press the lock button on the transmitter 4 times within 3 seconds to turn on the operation indicator light.
  2. Press the lock button continuously for 1.5 seconds or longer while the operation indicator light turns on (for 5 seconds).
  3. Press any of the buttons on the transmitter to make sure that the operation indicator light does not turn on/flash.
Turning off the power saving function
After you have turned off the power saving function according to the following procedure, the hazard warning lights and sound operate one time.
  1. Press any of the buttons on the transmitter to make sure that the operation indicator light does not turn on/flash.
  2. Press the lock button on the transmitter 4 times within 3 seconds to turn on the operation indicator light.
  3. Press the lock button continuously for 1.5 seconds or longer while the operation indicator light turns on (for 5 seconds)."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good luck with the investigation. You may need to give them both fobs to help them investigate.
Hi,
All in hand .
It is a wild guess, but do you by any chance have your key set to a power saving mode (maybe by accident)? I have one of my keys setup like that and it behaves exactly as you described. Basically, the Advanced keyless entry stops working, but you can still open the car using the button on the fob. You can check if your key is in this mode by pressing any button on the fob. If no red light appears above the lock button this will mean that the key is likely to be in the power save mode.

Anyway, good luck with your visit to the dealer and their investigation. Lets hope it is something simple.

Here is an extract from the manual describing Power saving function, which might help:

"By turning on the transmitter power saving function, the advanced keyless entry and push button start system functions turn off and the battery power consumption of the transmitter is restricted.
The remote control function is operational by operating the transmitter switch even while the power saving function is turned on. However, the operation indicator light of the transmitter does not turn on/flash.

Turning on the power saving function
After you have turned on the power saving function according to the following procedure, the hazard warning lights and sound operate one time.
  1. Press the lock button on the transmitter 4 times within 3 seconds to turn on the operation indicator light.
  2. Press the lock button continuously for 1.5 seconds or longer while the operation indicator light turns on (for 5 seconds).
  3. Press any of the buttons on the transmitter to make sure that the operation indicator light does not turn on/flash.
Turning off the power saving function
After you have turned off the power saving function according to the following procedure, the hazard warning lights and sound operate one time.
  1. Press any of the buttons on the transmitter to make sure that the operation indicator light does not turn on/flash.
  2. Press the lock button on the transmitter 4 times within 3 seconds to turn on the operation indicator light.
  3. Press the lock button continuously for 1.5 seconds or longer while the operation indicator light turns on (for 5 seconds)."

Hi,
I don't know when or how I put both keys in power saving mode, but after trying your procedure, both fobs operating correctly..!!
Thanks for your help 👍
I will try it out for a few hours before contacting the dealership..
Cheers Buzz

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went to my dealer, got the battery on the remote changed, and the problem went away for now. Power save mode sounds like a possibility, but if my fob was in power save mode, it was done by accident in my pocket since I didnt know it was an option till right now. I have had cars on the same fob battery for at least 3 years, the battery that failed was a 2021 car. Whatever it is, I'm on a forum, and it's a thing, power draw, in cars on fobs, covid, cars sitting. This a technical discussion of a complicated on/off switch with a physical button, a remote, and a phone app, wondering if packets of data when the car is sitting is causing batteries to die quick. Anyone have the cause and effect diagram, I'm a controls engineer. I am aware they refreshed early cars for 65 mA draw sitting, mine didnt need a reflash, but the car pretty much has to sit on a trickle charger, and you can bet it wont start in an airport after a vacation, it will tell you the battery is dead though, and that's cool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went to my dealer, got the battery on the remote changed, and the problem went away for now. Power save mode sounds like a possibility, but if my fob was in power save mode, it was done by accident in my pocket since I didnt know it was an option till right now. I have had cars on the same fob battery for at least 3 years, the battery that failed was a 2021 car. Whatever it is, I'm on a forum, and it's a thing, power draw, in cars on fobs, covid, cars sitting. This a technical discussion of a complicated on/off switch with a physical button, a remote, and a phone app, wondering if packets of data when the car is sitting is causing batteries to die quick. Anyone have the cause and effect diagram, I'm a controls engineer. I am aware they refreshed early cars for 65 mA draw sitting, mine didnt need a reflash, but the car pretty much has to sit on a trickle charger, and you can bet it wont start in an airport after a vacation, it will tell you the battery is dead though, and that's cool.
Oh, and 4 people were in the dealership getting new free fob batteries yesterday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Even with the new battery, the key is still not recognized. I think I know what's going on, I left one key in the car overnight a couple weeks ago, the manual says the car will deactivate it to prevent theft. Clicking the unlock of the inactive remote is supposed to reactivate it, but it doesn't seem to work. my local dealer is handing out remote batteries. It's a kinda bad feature, the car tells you to touch the key to the start button, so if understand the hint you can take the car with the key that the car just deactivated which only means have to touch it to the start button from the day you left the key in the car overnight, in my garage.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi,
All in hand .

Hi,
I don't know when or how I put both keys in power saving mode, but after trying your procedure, both fobs operating correctly..!!
Thanks for your help 👍
I will try it out for a few hours before contacting the dealership..
Cheers Buzz
I am glad it helped and was "simples". Hopefully, you will avoid a visit to a dealer for further investigation. I dread leaving my car in the dealership for several days even taking into consideration the fact that their mechanics are very good and for over 20 years I never had any issues with them. I just feel that there is always an element of risk. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Even with the new battery, the key is still not recognized. I think I know what's going on, I left one key in the car overnight a couple weeks ago, the manual says the car will deactivate it to prevent theft. Clicking the unlock of the inactive remote is supposed to reactivate it, but it doesn't seem to work. my local dealer is handing out remote batteries. It's a kinda bad feature, the car tells you to touch the key to the start button, so if understand the hint you can take the car with the key that the car just deactivated which only means have to touch it to the start button from the day you left the key in the car overnight, in my garage.
I recollect that I read somewhere that an owner had a similar problem with the new Mazda 3. It turned out that the manual description of actions required to reactivate the suspended key was not very well written. Basically, the procedure only worked if a second non-suspended key was present when the unlock button was pressed on the suspended key. Additionally, both keys had to be located inside the vehicle (I guess meaning to be within the aerial coverage). It seems this requirement for the presence of a "good" key should not allow a thief to drive away a car just with the suspended key alone. At least this is how I understood it when I read this story. The paragraphs describing "Key Suspend Function" in Mazda 3 and CX-30 manuals are identical, which made me think that the same additional requirements, missing from the manual, must be applied to CX-30 as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recollect that I read somewhere that an owner had a similar problem with the new Mazda 3. It turned out that the manual description of actions required to reactivate the suspended key was not very well written. Basically, the procedure only worked if a second non-suspended key was present when the unlock button was pressed on the suspended key. Additionally, both keys had to be located inside the vehicle (I guess meaning to be within the aerial coverage). It seems this requirement for the presence of a "good" key should not allow a thief to drive away a car just with the suspended key alone. At least this is how I understood it when I read this story. The paragraphs describing "Key Suspend Function" in Mazda 3 and CX-30 manuals are identical, which made me think that the same additional requirements, missing from the manual, must be applied to CX-30 as well.
Thanks for that tip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue with my CX-30, I am wondering if the presence of the second key in the vehicle cause the second non-active key to be suspended. My wife always has hers in the car when I'm driving.......Curious.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts