Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am new to this forum and have a CX 30 that is two months old. Its been making a noise after driving it for about 30 minutes - the noise is difficult to describe but a cross between a groan and a squeak! Anyway I finally took it back to the dealership and I am told it needs a new Supercharger which needs to be shipped from Japan. Has anyone else had a similar problem - I am concerned that replacing the part may not fix the problem. Mine is the 2litre AWD model

thanks all

·
Registered
AWD GT CX-30 ceramic coated
328 Posts
Hmm must be a few quirks to fix on the new skyactiv X engine, here in Canada and us it's people having a vibration issues with the 2.5 G engine with cylinder deactivation. Hope these issues get worked out in a reasonable timely manner.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah , they have figured a cure for c.d. vibration in future models. They have dropped C.D. across the model line for '21, at least that is what I am hearing over on the 3 forum. Like my Golf before it, and for the same reasons, I will not keep this 3 past the factory warranty.

Mazda has taken big steps backward reliability wise with both SKY X and C.D. We are in luck in N.A. not to be saddled with the feeble, expensive complex X vs the 2.5.
Had I known about all the horror stories regarding C.D. , I would have been careful to avoid a model with it, even though it has not been a problem in my first 5000 miles.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yeah , they have figured a cure for c.d. vibration in future models. They have dropped C.D. across the model line for '21, at least that is what I am hearing over on the 3 forum. Thank goodness I tend to trade ever 2 or 3 years. Like my Golf before it, and for the same reasons, I will not keep this 3 past the factory warranty.

Mazda has taken big steps backward reliability wise with both SKY X and C.D.
Lol I'm right behind you ! I leased my CX 30 and I think leasing now days is a very good idea as with the Nissan Qashqai I had I learnt the hard way and lost money as it was going to be 3 years old in a year and was in the shop like 25 times for warranty work lol I wasn't keeping that thing any more so im not worried about my CX 30 with cylinder deactivation and I'm enjoying driving it and looking forward to the next lease in 3 years with turbo in the next CX 30.

·
Registered
20 CX-30 AWD JBM Prem
146 Posts
Somehow I missed the fact the US Premium model had CD prior to purchase. It really surprises me that someone thinks an 180+ hp 4 cyl could get by running on 2 cylinders.
I have seen on Honda forums their V6 engines with CD can be tricked into not activating. Maybe something similar can be done on the 2.5.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your car doesn't need to be " tricked" into avoiding activation of the CD system. Mazda, simply needs to issue a software update.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Your car doesn't need to be " tricked" into avoiding activation of the CD system. Mazda, simply needs to issue a software update.
People now days seem to forget that an entire vehicle is run by a computer.. as I keep saying software update can really make a huge difference on how the vehicle runs and operates.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,
Colin I have the 2WD CX30 SkyactiveX manual model - bought in March just before 'lockdown' and have completed just over 1000 miles. I am experiencing the same noise as you describe (generally kicks in after approx half hour motoring) and then persists each time when accelerating. Yesterday was only the fourth journey extending over the half hour. Whilst in the first three such journeys the noise disappeared as the car dropped to slower speeds, yesterday it did not. In fact on the return leg the noise surfaced after about 10 minutes motoring. It would appear the noise is becoming more concentrated as the mileage increases.
The car has been back to my dealer twice and on Tuesday (8/9/20) the workshop have now also heard the noise, had a reply from Mazda UK confirming it is the supercharger that is related to the Hybrid Battery recharge system. Apparently I just have to 'enjoy' it as 'no further action required'. - the noise comes with the car. No mention has been made of replacing the supercharger. In fairness to my dealer they have indicated as long as I choose another Mazda they will try and help.
The problem I have there is the CX30 is a lovely car and is the only model that fulfils what I was looking for (almost love at first sight !!) - I have been led to believe the noise will occur on any Mazda engine featuring the M-Hybrid system.
I will feed back on how this 'problem' progresses

·
Registered
CX-30 G122 AT Comfort Machine Grey
38 Posts
Mazda EU has issued an info bulletin in Nov 2019 (reworked in Dec) (ref. E028/19) to their dealer there are three possible "normal" noises coming from the X-engine supercharger or related SPCCI technology to take away concerns by customers. I have attached that one, however it is in German. There is nothing mentioned about any M-Hybrid related noises, which would indicate that also the G-engine could be affected. I have not read on any CX-30/Mazda 3 related forum about those noises with the G-engine. My guess is it's BS, I am not hearing anything remotely similar coming from my car comparing the noise samples posted. As I posted and linked above there is an now 18 pages long topic on a German CX-30 Forum where owners have posted that Mazda Germany have acknowledged and approved compressor replacements because of those noises. Apparently there is a reworked compressor now. Mazda has an European R&D department in Germany, I assume the German Mazda organization is much better informed than Mazda UK.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ronnie, thank you for this information - I will pass the attached info bulletin to a friend who will be able to translate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello all,
Colin I have the 2WD CX30 SkyactiveX manual model - bought in March just before 'lockdown' and have completed just over 1000 miles. I am experiencing the same noise as you describe (generally kicks in after approx half hour motoring) and then persists each time when accelerating. Yesterday was only the fourth journey extending over the half hour. Whilst in the first three such journeys the noise disappeared as the car dropped to slower speeds, yesterday it did not. In fact on the return leg the noise surfaced after about 10 minutes motoring. It would appear the noise is becoming more concentrated as the mileage increases.
The car has been back to my dealer twice and on Tuesday (8/9/20) the workshop have now also heard the noise, had a reply from Mazda UK confirming it is the supercharger that is related to the Hybrid Battery recharge system. Apparently I just have to 'enjoy' it as 'no further action required'. - the noise comes with the car. No mention has been made of replacing the supercharger. In fairness to my dealer they have indicated as long as I choose another Mazda they will try and help.
The problem I have there is the CX30 is a lovely car and is the only model that fulfils what I was looking for (almost love at first sight !!) - I have been led to believe the noise will occur on any Mazda engine featuring the M-Hybrid system.
I will feed back on how this 'problem' progresses
Thanks Nigel.. I am still waiting on news from Mazda of the arrival of a new Supercharger (whatever that does) but I have said that if the noise carries on I want a refund as there is clearly a design fault here. I dont think you should accept that the noise is acceptable. I doubt Mazda will want lots of unfavourable publicity on this issue!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mazda EU has issued an info bulletin in Nov 2019 (reworked in Dec) (ref. E028/19) to their dealer there are three possible "normal" noises coming from the X-engine supercharger or related SPCCI technology to take away concerns by customers. I have attached that one, however it is in German. There is nothing mentioned about any M-Hybrid related noises, which would indicate that also the G-engine could be affected. I have not read on any CX-30/Mazda 3 related forum about those noises with the G-engine. My guess is it's BS, I am not hearing anything remotely similar coming from my car comparing the noise samples posted. As I posted and linked above there is an now 18 pages long topic on a German CX-30 Forum where owners have posted that Mazda Germany have acknowledged and approved compressor replacements because of those noises. Apparently there is a reworked compressor now. Mazda has an European R&D department in Germany, I assume the German Mazda organization is much better informed than Mazda UK.
thank you for posting this

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any updates on this issue? I love this car with this engine, it's just perfect for my family. I don't want a big car like CX-5, I don't want turbo but i want an efficient engine with fantastic fuel consumption. However now I'm concerned about reliability. Manual transmission is awesome. I have no idea what to buy. Toyota RAV4 is to big, ugly, Honda have dilution problem on 1.5 turbo, hyundai, kia DCT, turbo etc, european ones are expensive and with many other problems. If the supercharger has design flaws then it's a big problem if there are only some bad parts, bad series they can be fixed easily.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts