Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
283 Posts
Before you install this kit do a little test. Using a scan tool and accelerating at wide open throttle make a recording of the following data pids. Mass Airflow in grams per second, intake air temperature, barometric pressure, ambient air temperature, and the engine rpm. You don't have to speed to do this, (respect traffic laws) running the engine up to the 1-2 shift point is sufficient.

Post your findings at 1500 rpm, 2500 rpm, 3500 rpm, 4500 rpm, and 5500 rpm.
Then after installing this system, repeat the test and post the results.

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 S 2.5 skyactive
61 Posts

·
Registered
21' CX-30 Premium
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just contated Takeda about the cold air intake system they said it probable woud not fit because it was designed for Mazda 3 only and they don't have the same body style and would not fit properly. I like their desgin.If CorkSport would come up with a cold air box it would be great.
That's strange, they informed me that since the engine bays are pretty much identical it should fit without issue. I've got one on order so I guess we'll find out when it arrives!

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's strange, they informed me that since the engine bays are pretty much identical it should fit without issue. I've got one on order so I guess we'll find out when it arrives!
Great let me know how it goes because want to get one thanks.

·
Registered
2021 Turbo Premium
116 Posts
I like their desgin.If CorkSport would come up with a cold air box it would be great.
I actually just emailed them a couple days ago asking about the CX-30 heatshield they mention on the intake page.

The Heat Shield Kit for the Turbo Model Mazda 6, CX-5, CX-9 does NOT fit the Mazda 3 and CX-30 Turbo Models. Please wait for the CorkSport Heat Shield Kit specific for the Mazda 3 and CX-30.
No reply yet.

·
Registered
2021 CX30
15 Posts
On the subject of Cold air intake:
I had a Magnaflow cat back, and a cold air intake/K&N filter on my 2004 Mazda 3 2.3 liter engine, it sounded ok, though I do not think it really improved the performance.

·
Registered
283 Posts
On the subject of Cold air intake:
I had a Magnaflow cat back, and a cold air intake/K&N filter on my 2004 Mazda 3 2.3 liter engine, it sounded ok, though I do not think it really improved the performance.
That's why I asked earlier for anyone that installs such a system to collect data before and after the installation. It's easy to be subjective and feel that something like this has made a difference. The data won't lie. In the off chance that there is an improvement, the data will prove it and show just how much of an increase was actually achieved.

BTW testers should add two more pieces of data. Calculated Engine Load and Absolute Engine Load.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's why I asked earlier for anyone that installs such a system to collect data before and after the installation. It's easy to be subjective and feel that something like this has made a difference. The data won't lie. In the off chance that there is an improvement, the data will prove it and show just how much of an increase was actually achieved.

BTW testers should add two more pieces of data. Calculated Engine Load and Absolute Engine Load.
I was looking at the air filter box on my CX-30 and I noticed that the air filter box cover can be removed from the air filter box. So if you were install a short ram intake and let it sit over the bottom part of the air filter box after removing the OEM air filter it would draw some cooler air up through the box as it was originaly desgined to do. It would also act as a kind of a heat shield. I'm looking for some input on this idea.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was looking at the air filter box on my CX-30 and I noticed that the air filter box cover can be removed from the air filter box. So if you were install a short ram intake and let it sit over the bottom part of the air filter box after removing the OEM air filter it would draw some cooler air up through the box as it was originaly desgined to do. It would also act as a kind of a heat shield. I'm looking for some input on this idea.
Before installing any of these devices, it would be prudent to put in a little research. Using scan data and monitoring the intake air temperature both at normal cruising speeds and then at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) compare the reported air temperature to the ambient temperature at the time of testing. When you look at where the air inlet is from the factory, it is pulling air from outside of the engine compartment. 90% of the time when we see aftermarket filters and the so-called "cold intake" systems, we see them pulling air from the engine compartment, after it has already passed through the AC condenser and the radiator. Many of the "upgrades" result in intake air temperatures that are higher than the original system.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Camera lens Automotive exterior

·
Registered
61 Posts
Before installing any of these devices, it would be prudent to put in a little research. Using scan data and monitoring the intake air temperature both at normal cruising speeds and then at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) compare the reported air temperature to the ambient temperature at the time of testing. When you look at where the air inlet is from the factory, it is pulling air from outside of the engine compartment. 90% of the time when we see aftermarket filters and the so-called "cold intake" systems, we see them pulling air from the engine compartment, after it has already passed through the AC condenser and the radiator. Many of the "upgrades" result in intake air temperatures that are higher than the original system.

View attachment 3497

View attachment 3497
If you look at the break down of the air filter box you can see where it is drawing the air for the OEM filter

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you look at the break down of the air filter box you can see where it is drawing the air for the OEM filter
Look up the air filter box for a 2021 cx-30 and you can see where the air is being drawn in for the air filter box it's being drawn in from the front on the left side of the radiator go to CARID and look up part # PAJ8133AXA and they have a breakdown of the air filter box.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Look up the air filter box for a 2021 cx-30 and you can see where the air is being drawn in for the air filter box it's being drawn in from the front on the left side of the radiator go to CARID and look up part # PAJ8133AXA and they have a breakdown of the air filter box.
The air inlet is under the header panel in front of the condenser. It plumbs through the ductwork that I photographed above. At normal driving speeds, the airflow through this ducting does allow for some heating of the air from under hood sources. By design that helps prevent throttle icing along with engine coolant that flows through the throttle body when used. At wide open throttle the air is moving too fast to be heated and if you watch scan data you will see the intake air temperature drop. "IF" that air temperature gets within 5f of ambient temperature then the "cold air" system will have negligible impact on performance. In the shop I have seen add on systems that by drawing under-hood air raised the inlet air temperature well above ambient temperature under all operating conditions.
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
283 Posts
Here is an example of what we often find with aftermarket air filter assemblies. This is supposed to be a cold air intake but if you look closely all of the air that is available to the filter has passed through the AC condenser and radiator and is just about all from under hood.
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Hood Motor vehicle

This second picture shows where the original intake ducting pulled air from behind the headlight outside of the engine compartment.
Automotive tire Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Cable Gas

·
Registered
61 Posts
After doing some more investigating you probably could gain maybe 5 hp by just replacing the OEM air filter with K&N filter or other high flow air filter at a fraction of the cost of a short ram intake. Granted it does not sound or look as cool as a short ram intake and you don't have to worry about drawing engine heat through the filter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just received an E-mail from CorkSport letting the short ram intake filter rest on the bottom portion of the OEM air filter box should not be a problem as long as it does not interfere with the proper installation of short ram intake.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts