Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

How easy do you find using the controls on the CX30

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 cx30 (100 yr edition)
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm impressed by the safety features of Mazda cars compared with the competition. It was the main reason that I bought my CX30. How many readers of this thread bought their car with that objective in mind? Or maybe you bought for its looks, or value compared with other car marques.

But how do readers feel about how easy it is to navigate the controls without taking one's eyes off the road?

I obtained my UK provisional driving license when I was 17 years old and was excited on that day to drive my car for the first time on public roads, albeit with a qualified driver accompanying me.

I assumed, wrongly, that I would sit in the driver's seat with my dad sitting in the passenger seat. But no. He drove to a field off the public road, put some bamboo canes in oil drums and had me driving forwards and backwards through the course he had marked out on the field. His logic was that he wanted me to be in full control of the car before venturing out on a public road.

Dad also made sure I could work the controls without looking down at the controls. Changing gear with my eyes still on the view ahead. Putting the lights on and off. Turning the radio on and switching channels.

At the time, I was frustrated at not being able to learn by driving on real roads in real traffic. But one week later, he made me drive into a busy town centre and I realised that his teaching methods had paid off.

So, how do forum members feel about the ease in which it's possible to manage the controls of the CX30 without taking your eyes off the road?

I'd like to hear your views and personal experiences in the comments and replies. And pressing the reaction button will help me target future posts to discussions you are interested in.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The other thing Dad did was to get me to stop on a hill, take off his watch and place it under one of the rear, and then get back in the car and tell me to drive off.

I never knew whether he actually placed his watch under the tyre or whether he slipped it back into his pocket.

But I didn't slip back and have never done so since.

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 Skyactiv-G 2.0 M Hybrid Vision Plus AT
33 Posts
I had previously Honda Civic Sedan 2007 with a split dashboard. The speed display was in the upper part near the windshield. When planning a new car , I was looking for a similar structure. There was no such thing in new Honda Civic either. While browsing a car magazine, I noticed that Mazda has a HUD. My interest in Mazda woke up and I took Mazda 3 for a test drive and pleased it. I still wanted a higher model so I ended up with the CX-30. Luckily Mazda doesn't even have a touch screen that I dislike. I agree with MattOwensRees: keep your eyes on the road. In addition to the HUD, safety is enhanced also by good directional stability.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had previously Honda Civic Sedan 2007 with a split dashboard. The speed display was in the upper part near the windshield. When planning a new car , I was looking for a similar structure. There was no such thing in new Honda Civic either. While browsing a car magazine, I noticed that Mazda has a HUD. My interest in Mazda woke up and I took Mazda 3 for a test drive and pleased it. I still wanted a higher model so I ended up with the CX-30. Luckily Mazda doesn't even have a touch screen that I dislike. I agree with MattOwensRees: keep your eyes on the road. In addition to the HUD, safety is enhanced also by good directional stability.
Thanks for the constructive reply. How long did it take you, @pentodi , to master where all the controls are so that youn don't take your eyes off the road?

I'm almost there but still have to glance down briefly occasionally. It's all a learning experience

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 Skyactiv-G 2.0 M Hybrid Vision Plus AT
33 Posts
Handling the adaptive cruise control took more time than other driving aids. One 1000 km road trip with several different traffic conditions was needed until the cruise went "spinal". What that says about my learning curve..I dont know.

·
Registered
21 cx30 premium awd
209 Posts
I'm impressed by the safety features of Mazda cars compared with the competition. It was the main reason that I bought my CX30. How many readers of this thread bought their car with that objective in mind? Or maybe you bought for its looks, or value compared with other car marques.

But how do readers feel about how easy it is to navigate the controls without taking one's eyes off the road?

I obtained my UK provisional driving license when I was 17 years old and was excited on that day to drive my car for the first time on public roads, albeit with a qualified driver accompanying me.

I assumed, wrongly, that I would sit in the driver's seat with my dad sitting in the passenger seat. But no. He drove to a field off the public road, put some bamboo canes in oil drums and had me driving forwards and backwards through the course he had marked out on the field. His logic was that he wanted me to be in full control of the car before venturing out on a public road.

Dad also made sure I could work the controls without looking down at the controls. Changing gear with my eyes still on the view ahead. Putting the lights on and off. Turning the radio on and switching channels.

At the time, I was frustrated at not being able to learn by driving on real roads in real traffic. But one week later, he made me drive into a busy town centre and I realised that his teaching methods had paid off.

So, how do forum members feel about the ease in which it's possible to manage the controls of the CX30 without taking your eyes off the road?

I'd like to hear your views and personal experiences in the comments and replies. And pressing the reaction button will help me target future posts to discussions you are interested in.
My only issue is the steering wheel buttons are angled downward and the icon on them is not very clear so until one has muscle memory for these, one must take eyes off road to use the, Annoying.

·
Registered
Mazda CX30 SP 2021
108 Posts
Hi,
To be honest i cannot say i bought mazda just because of safety things. If that would be the issue then Volvo should be the one people should buy, but i know its all about buying the best with all the money you can spend for a car.

Well, all of my driving years i drove Ford. Its a habbit coming from my grandfather. He always had Ford. And he was the one who thought me driving tricks. I must say he was a good driver. Im 42 years old and driving cars since age 15 and thanks god still not a single accident. I dont believe its the car safety but its all about the driver which is the topic also. So, why i got mazda first time in my life by selling my Ford... well simply i was angry to Ford service (not the dealers) and also Ford service is really expensive in Thailand. Something you can fix around 100usd with mazda is 600usd with ford. Another reason is mazda really looks nice.. but i must admit Ford 2022 looks better. There are few other reasons why i bought it but no need to mention.

About touch screen or other kind of car controls.. i think at some point whatever you do or how much you know where the controls are soon or later you will look at them. Its human reflect. You cannot avoid it. Yes, you can make it fewer but never stop that habbit. Both control systems have their own positive and negative things. For me i would prefer touch screen. With cx30 controls you need to MOVE your mouse to options. So its like your eyes are on the road but your most important thing, your brain is thinking ohh am i on the 3rd line now or 2nd? What was the next option? Etc. I hope i explained myself. Also in both controls 1 of your hand will not be holding steering anyway.
So i think how you drive the car is more important for many things. Thats why i think voice commands are the most important thing here. I just went to MG dealer and it was amazing. The car even can lower or raise the window just with 1simple command. Now if people are looking for safety i would say this is safety. Imagine you can do everything with voice commands and can keep both your arms and eyes where they should be when driving.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Imagine you can do everything with voice commands and can keep both your arms and eyes where they should be when driving."

I think you've put the point very succinctly, @ThaiMeow . This could be the way forward in the future. I hadn't thought of that. It would be the biggest contribution to road and driver safety and avoid the difficulties that drivers are currently facing in locating the controls easily and with safety.

@pentodi and @Steve56 make some good points too which Mazda might take on board. And @agentSmith seems to be safety conscious by liking the thread. The more ideas that get posted, the safer our driving will become. And Mazda has a reputation for listening to drivers' concerns and acting on them.

It's early days but it will be interesting to see if the poll confirms what readers have so far said - that more could be done to enhance safety features and make the learning curve less steep.

It benefits everyone to have a constructive debate with comments from forum members. I certainly gain not only from your comment but from those of others too.

·
Registered
21 cx30 premium awd
209 Posts
"Imagine you can do everything with voice commands and can keep both your arms and eyes where they should be when driving."

I think you've put the point very succinctly, @ThaiMeow . This could be the way forward in the future. I hadn't thought of that. It would be the biggest contribution to road and driver safety and avoid the difficulties that drivers are currently facing in locating the controls easily and with safety.

@pentodi and @Steve56 make some good points too which Mazda might take on board. And @agentSmith seems to be safety conscious by liking the thread. The more ideas that get posted, the safer our driving will become. And Mazda has a reputation for listening to drivers' concerns and acting on them.

It's early days but it will be interesting to see if the poll confirms what readers have so far said - that more could be done to enhance safety features and make the learning curve less steep.

It benefits everyone to have a constructive debate with comments from forum members. I certainly gain not only from your comment but from those of others too.
Unlike my iphone which understands all i say in both english, french and spanish, i have yet to find an automotive infotainment system that understands commands in all three languages...they often make mistakes....to boot, their often cumbersome way of interacting with voice commands leaves much to be desired.....including our cx30. My phone, using google or apple apps never misses a beat.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS 2.5L, Luxury Package, Soul Red Crystal
105 Posts
Unlike my iphone which understands all i say in both english, french and spanish, i have yet to find an automotive infotainment system that understands commands in all three languages...they often make mistakes....to boot, their often cumbersome way of interacting with voice commands leaves much to be desired.....including our cx30. My phone, using google or apple apps never misses a beat.
True... processing voice commands on the infotainment computer would be limited.

The iphone/android devices offload the voice command processing to more powerful servers, which would require an internet connection.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Visited the dealership yesterday and had a fruitful conversation with the Thai lady on how to deal with some of the features which are not easy to use without taking one's eyes off the road.

We went over some features which are in the manuals but not available on Thai models. Tyre pressure monitoring for example. She's a fountain of accurate knowledge. Even if the manuals eventually arrive, I doubt the annotations made by the service manager would be as accurate as the conversations I am having with her.

I took her out to dinner last night as a "thank you", particularly as she was excluded from the lunch I had with the service and sales managers earlier. Her fiancé works for Mazda Hong Kong and is stuck there because of travel restrictions. We need more people like them working in Thailand's Mazda dealerships.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Visited the dealership yesterday and had a fruitful conversation with the Thai lady on how to deal with some of the features which are not easy to use without taking one's eyes off the road.

We went over some features which are in the manuals but not available on Thai models. Tyre pressure monitoring for example. She's a fountain of accurate knowledge. Even if the manuals eventually arrive, I doubt the annotations made by the service manager would be as accurate as the conversations I am having with her.

I took her out to dinner last night as a "thank you", particularly as she was excluded from the lunch I had with the service and sales managers earlier. Her fiancé works for Mazda Hong Kong and is stuck there because of travel restrictions. We need more people like them working in Thailand's Mazda dealerships.
Thanks for the like, @ThaiMeow . You live in Thailand , so you well understand how this culture works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts