Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

The Black Plastic

11K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Bovard 
#1 ·
Hope everyone is doing well. I was driving my Soul Red cx30 down a dirt and gravel road yesterday. I kept hearing rocks hitting the car and was freaking out over the paint. When I got home all of the mud and dirt was only on the plastic. It made me for the first time truly appreciate the design. I am sure part of the reason the plastic is so chunky is cost cutting. But it was very interesting to see if it was any bigger it would be unnecessary. And if it was any smaller it would be pointless.

#4 · (Edited)
I think i have said in another thread, the plastic is a love or hate it thing, but for protecting paint and making it a easy wipe down to clean, it does its job well. As with the bumpers being non painted, how many casr do yo see with bumper scuffs and scratches, being non painted they are easy to clean and fix if marked.

#8 ·
Yeah, I got the blue which is quite dark and makes it less visible. Wish it didn't blend in so much. Should have gotten the white, silver or light grey. Or soul red. It's striking on a lighter colored car.

#9 ·
I like this feature on this vehicle.

#18 ·
I think some of the criticism is based on focusing solely on the cladding width and not taking into consideration how it works with the overall appearance. Mazda’s intention of blacking out the entire lower body was to give off a sleeker more coupe-like appearance. There are photoshop versions showing what the CX-30 looks like with much narrower cladding but it makes the overall side appearance more chunky and less appealing in my opinion. I’ve embraced the cladding and think it’s a distinctive positive characteristic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.