Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Generaly there are not many people who are well versed in modern day car maintenance with the advent of computerized cars these days.
There are many who are experts in maintaining the exterior in show room condition.

Let me take this one step further to ask who would venture under the hood to service the DIY items
other than ckecking cooling water and oil levels.

Let me take another step and ask who has attemped to clean the entire engine compartment area as I do.

I can not expect and do not expect a machanic to work on or in a dirty engine compartment.

I have some favourite items for this project , many you already have as we are dealing with plastic, paint ,and rubber components,each requiring special treatment , I can recomend disposable paper towel , bathroom soft tisue , soft sponge an a clean 2" paint brush .

I am hesitant to recomend and chemical products you are you best judge for that.

May I recomend avoiding sensative area like the alternator belt.

Do keep the garden water hose pipe out of the engine compartment area.

Do not use clothing rags having disposal issues and do not work on a hot engine .

Time wize, we are looking for about a 30 minute should you wish to perform this project on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
345 Posts
Being a career auto technician who emphasized diagnostics and repair of todays electronics and computer controls there is nothing on the car that isn't within my reach. I just have to do a short term subscription for MDARS to have the factory scan tool for the car. My take on cleaning under hood. While having a car that is clean to work on is nice, it's easy to create problems that otherwise wouldn't have occurred. Water can get into places when sprayed that it would never access under normal circumstances. I have had to diagnose and repair a lot of problems through the years directly related to water intrusion into wiring connectors and harnesses as well as in the spark plug wells.

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 GS 2020
178 Posts
Being a career auto technician who emphasized diagnostics and repair of todays electronics and computer controls there is nothing on the car that isn't within my reach. I just have to do a short term subscription for MDARS to have the factory scan tool for the car. My take on cleaning under hood. While having a car that is clean to work on is nice, it's easy to create problems that otherwise wouldn't have occurred. Water can get into places when sprayed that it would never access under normal circumstances. I have had to diagnose and repair a lot of problems through the years directly related to water intrusion into wiring connectors and harnesses as well as in the spark plug wells.
Regarding the engine area clean up, I prefer remove all the plastic covers in order to clean it manually to avoid, like you said, problems with water.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I‘ve washed my engine bays on all 12 cars I’ve owned over the past 25 years. I follow this regimine: warm the vehicle up; spray dirty/dusty areas with SimpleGreen Cleaner and Degreaser then let rest five minutes; carefully hose off all areas with a gentle spray pattern and fully flush all areas since SG can discolor aluminum if left on too long. Then I drive the vehicle to dry everything off.

This has worked for me for decades with no problems. There is no guarantee it will work for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.