Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to modify the infinite seatbelt unfastened alert?
Either:
- disable when in park (like a LOT of other cars do);
or
- limit the number of evil chimes currently set to infinity;
or
- disable the chime entirely;

Going crazy,

CS

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 e-SKYACTIVE X MHEV GT Sport Tech Soul Red Crystal 2WD Manual
195 Posts
Either:
or
or

Going crazy,

CS
Simples, just fasten your seatbelt before driving off.

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo
236 Posts
yeah, haha. but why do I have to listed to that racket when I am in park BEFORE driving off?
The reason is regulations, maybe not where you live, but somewhere Mazda is selling this car. Every car I've ever owned has done this so maybe that place is here, who knows.

·
Registered
2020 CX30 2litre GT Sport Tech
37 Posts
In the UK it only does it if you move off without the belt done up. As stated, it's probably a local legal requirement and not Mazda.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We also have an Infiniti QX60. There are no sounds when the engine is started and in park. Once shifted into drive, the reminder chime sounds ~6 times then goes silent. The red warning light stays lit until you buckle up. I wish Mazda would do the same.

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo
236 Posts
I think you may have misunderstood my point. Mazda doesn't localize their vehicles as specifically as some brands so if something is the law in a small part of a region (say North America) everyone in that region is stuck with it. So, say something is the law in Canada, you're likely to find your US market cars also have that feature.

·
Registered
325 hp / 400 lb⋅ft
222 Posts
I think you may have misunderstood my point. Mazda doesn't localize their vehicles as specifically as some brands so if something is the law in a small part of a region (say North America) everyone in that region is stuck with it. So, say something is the law in Canada, you're likely to find your US market cars also have that feature.
I normally would agree, but this is a software issue which can easily be localized. The physical headlights, which sometimes have the amber reflector and sometimes don't (based on region) is much more of a hassle than this -- yet they pulled that off.

There is no good reason why this couldn't/shouldn't be something with a little flexibility...like nearly every other setting/feature the car has.

I'm tempted to dismantle the buckle itself, find the switch/sensor that's responsible for the chiming, and permanently anchor it "in place". I shouldn't have to, but it's kind of ridiculous.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today I spoke with Mazda Customer Experience, Representative Rebecca. She said that because it is a safety issue, the number of chimes cannot be adjusted to a fewer number. She said most (or all) cars have that. I told her our Infiniti seatbelt chimes are limited to just a few with the seatbelt warning light remaining lit on the console (no problem with that). So, Agent Smith posted the practical solution (i.e., buckle up) and I believe Quix is right that this is likely a simple software change. I did try an experiment along the way. I plugged a 1 foot seatbelt extender (we use for dog; not attached to anything for this test) into the driver's seatbelt receiver and the chimes stopped, so the mechanism is inside the belt receiver. Bottom line: buckle up or go crazy.
CS

·
Registered
325 hp / 400 lb⋅ft
222 Posts
That's the thing, I do buckle up (everytime). When I turn on my car, I let it warm up for about a minute before I go (in Park). During that time I might be grabbing sun glasses, arranging things in the car, etc -- any number of things that require my ability to move freely. Other times im waiting in the car line dropping my child off at school -- except she can't unbuckle and gather her stuff until the last second to avoid the chimes.

So no, I don't accept the answer "if you don't like the chime then buckle up" -- as it falsely implies / equivocates that the driver must be doing something wrong or dangerous if they are hearing it. The car is not intelligent enough to be making the determination of whether or not the belt should be buckled, much less coercing compliance!

I mean, why not wait until the car is in gear before the chime happens? Why not wait 10 seconds after moving, or wait until a certain speed is met?

It's just nannyistic overkill. Seriously, if a person so irresponsible they need to be endlessly badgered into putting a belt on, maybe the bigger issue is them being behind the wheel in the first place (and not the status of the belt).

I'm just saying, it'd be nice if my car didn't assume I was doing something criminal everytime the belt comes off...I know wtf I'm doing alright BACK OFF 🤣

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I agree. I asked the rep to forward my complaint up to a higher level and she said she would do that. You may want to consider sending your text to Mazda and see what happens. You have a practical example here
CS

That's the thing, I do buckle up (everytime). When I turn on my car, I let it warm up for about a minute before I go (in Park). During that time I might be grabbing sun glasses, arranging things on the car, etc -- any number of things that require my ability to move freely. Other times im waiting in the car line dropping my child off at school -- except she can't unbuckle and gather her stuff until the last second to avoid the chimes.

So no, I don't accept the answer "if you don't like the chime then buckle up" -- as it falsely implies / equivocates that the driver must be doing something wrong or dangerous if they are hearing it. The car is not intelligent enough to be making the determination of whether or not the belt should be buckled, much less coercing compliance!

I mean, why not wait until the car is in gear before the chime happens? Why not wait 10 seconds after moving, or wait until a certain speed is met?

It's just nannyistic overkill. Seriously, if a person so irresponsible they need to be badgered into putting a belt on, maybe the bigger issue is them being behind the wheel in the first place (and not the status of the belt). It'd be nice if my car didn't treat me like a child unless I wanted to via settings.

·
Registered
'20 CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
136 Posts
I don't know about absolutely any other brand, type or model of vehicle but in a Ford F150's owner's manual are instructions on how to disable the seatbelt chime. It's by seating position too. I've had a few personal F150s and several as company work vehicles. I wear my seatbelt while driving but there are many, many times I'm in my own truck while doing things around the house (I have a several acre lawn) when I don't want to hear the constant dinging. So I've disabled the chime for the driver's seat of my truck. I assume there are folks on here who have read the entire CX-30 owner's manual and that bit of information is not there. (I used to read the manual cover-to-cover for most everything I bought - the older I get, I don't care...so long as I can turn something on/off and use it the way I want, I have other things to do...)

Plus on my truck I've used ForScan software installed on my laptop with an OBD adaptor to tweak a number of features. If anyone is interested they can read about ForScan at this link: FORScan Home It works with Ford, Mercury, Lincoln and MAZDA vehicles. I haven't investigated into what it can do with a Mazda but am tempted to dig around and see what I can find. On my truck I've done things such as making the power folding outside door mirrors automatically fold/unfold when locking/unlocking the doors, disabled the loud "double-honk" if I get out of the truck, shut the door and it's running (SUPER ANNOYING!), disabled the parking brake chime, enabled being able to have the fog lights on WITH the high-beam headlights, made the amber LEDs surrounding the headlights the driving lights instead of the low-beams, etc. Probably some other items I can't remember right now. Changing or disabling the seatbelt chime on my CX-30 would be the first item on the list if I can change anything. I've not seen a word about ForScan around the CX-30 forums...

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 Premium Snowflake White (previously 2020 CX-30 Premium Polymetal Gray Metallic)
140 Posts
Unfortunately it appears that the CX-30 may not be supported as indicated from the information below from the link you provided.
  • Supported vehicles:

• Ford, Lincoln, Mercury models of 1996 - 2022MY (some models of 1994-1995MY are also supported). Attention: FORScan may support limited set of functions and configuration parameters for brand new 2021-2022MY models (we work on it).
  • Mazda models of 1996 - 2022MY up to 6G (inclusively). Attention: Mazda 7G models (new Mazda 3, CX-30, MX-30, CX-50 etc) are supported partially or not supported at all!

·
Registered
2021 cx30 premium turbo
7 Posts
I get in my car, buckle up, hit start button and no chime. Yea, you are still forced to do something against your will or procedure but it's the only solution other than cranking the radio up louder than the chime

·
Registered
'20 CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
136 Posts
Unfortunately it appears that the CX-30 may not be supported as indicated from the information below from the link you provided.
  • Supported vehicles:

• Ford, Lincoln, Mercury models of 1996 - 2022MY (some models of 1994-1995MY are also supported). Attention: FORScan may support limited set of functions and configuration parameters for brand new 2021-2022MY models (we work on it).
  • Mazda models of 1996 - 2022MY up to 6G (inclusively). Attention: Mazda 7G models (new Mazda 3, CX-30, MX-30, CX-50 etc) are supported partially or not supported at all!
When I get the chance to hook my CX-30 up to my laptop I'll find out. I like to think positively and am focusing on the "supported partially".

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 e-SKYACTIVE X MHEV GT Sport Tech Soul Red Crystal 2WD Manual
195 Posts
In the UK it only does it if you move off without the belt done up. As stated, it's probably a local legal requirement and not Mazda.
I agree. This seems to be a North American issue as far as I can guess from comments. I have a UK spec CX-30 in GT Sport Tech trim with e-SKYACTIV X engine and manual transmission. Today I did all sorts of experiments and it appears that the chime comes on only if you release the EPB and start driving. Until then you can sit in the car with engine running and without the seatbelt buckled as long as you want without any sound annoying you. The only indication that the seatbelt is not buckled is the red icon on the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Either:
or
or

Going crazy,

CS
i do not have this issue mine goes off for like a minute then stops. definitely does not go off if I'm parked.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts