Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

This noise is driving me crazy!

37K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  Abugi 
#1 ·
A small rattling is occurring while driving and is located just to the right of the air conditioning console in the middle of the dashboard of the cabin at the front of the car. It occurs while driving over bumpy or uneven roads that are not a smooth drive. It sounds like the source of the rattling is located underneath the dashboard. I tried pushing in parts of the interior trim in that area and visually inspected the outside parts of the interior trim and could not identify the source of the rattle. I have uploaded a video of the issue at this link (the volume may need to be turned up): Streamable Video

Took it to the dealer and they test drove 4 times apparently but couldn't replicate it. It honestly sounds like its coming from inside the ac vent for the front passenger (the left vent above the glove box).

Its driving me crazy.

Otherwise I love my car.

#2 ·
I have a pretty loud rattle noise as well but sounds closer to my drivers side and i can hear it over bumps as if something is if something is sorta lose flapping around hitting against something else and im not to sure what it is other then possibly something with the climate control like a blender vent or something.
I have yet to bring up with my dealer as it dosent seem to afffect anything else and can only be heard with dead silence and not overly concerned in my case as i will only have the vehicle for 3 years and then get another brand new one.

#3 ·
I think as a first year model we might have a few teething problems. I have a creak in the steering column and if I put upward or downward pressure on the steering wheel it goes away. Will take it to the dealer next week. I had the first 3rd gen Mazda 3 (2014) and had to have the bump stops replaced as I had a loud noise when I went over speed bumps.

#4 ·
I had a CX30 for just 48 hours as a courtesy car while my 3-month old 2020 Mazda 3 was at the dealer who was trying to fix interior rattles. The CX30 was the demonstrator car for that Mazda dealer and it had the same rattles as my Mazda 3 which was in for repair for exactly the same problem i.e. it rattled exactly the same when you drove over the same (only mildly) bumpy / unsmooth roads. My Mazda3 couldn't be fixed and I am looking at a full refund....but it makes me think that something is up with some of these new Mazda 3s and CX30s.

#6 ·
Hello,

Did you solve the rattle problems?? Did you bring it to the dealer?? I just picked up my CX-30 today and as soon as I drive out from the dealer on the mildly unsmooth road I hear that rattle noise.. and it's just 11km on the odometer.. This rattle is especially obvious on highway above 100km/h and on to some little bumps.. My previous 2020 corolla have the same issue.. it really drives crazy...

#16 · (Edited)
Also I 3 year leased mine and do plan to upgrade to the turbo version and I will now know what to look out for lol before hand and will be listing very carefully on my test in drive in 2023 haha to me leasing was a smart idea as now having one that was made in January of this year right of the assembly plant any major issues won't be my issue as I won't have it past 72,000 km or 3 years 😝 absolutely love the vehicle tho ! I will let you guys know how the turbo is tho when that time comes.

#18 ·
So I had this rattle in my mazda 3. It was caused by the passenger side middle dash cover piece vibrating against an assembly underneath(passenger side) If you knock on the cover on passenger dash you may hear the same rattle.

This is the way I fixed it and haven't heard it since. Opened the glove box and removed the clip panel that covers the cabin air filter. If you look up in that cavity there are two bolts, I tightened those as tight as I could. Secondly if you reach your hand up (it's really tight) and hold onto the assembly and knock on the dash again you shouldn't hear the rattle. To permanently resolve this, I cut a small piece of foam and lodged it on the right side of the assembly to secure it from rattling against the dash cover. I made sure not to put it ontop of the assembly, but to the side so that it doesn't interfere with what the assembly is. I also made sure it was a small piece of foam as well. I'll try to get pictures if I can

#20 ·
So I had this rattle in my mazda 3. It was caused by the passenger side middle dash cover piece vibrating against an assembly underneath(passenger side) If you knock on the cover on passenger dash you may hear the same rattle.

This is the way I fixed it and haven't heard it since. Opened the glove box and removed the clip panel that covers the cabin air filter. If you look up in that cavity there are two bolts, I tightened those as tight as I could. Secondly if you reach your hand up (it's really tight) and hold onto the assembly and knock on the dash again you shouldn't hear the rattle. To permanently resolve this, I cut a small piece of foam and lodged it on the right side of the assembly to secure it from rattling against the dash cover. I made sure not to put it ontop of the assembly, but to the side so that it doesn't interfere with what the assembly is. I also made sure it was a small piece of foam as well. I'll try to get pictures if I can
Can you post pictures? Not sure how to fix it, in case the dealership won’t give a damn and for some reason refund not doable.

#25 ·
I have that exact same sound, it seems like it’s from the glove compartment shaking due to rough roads. I will try to put some TESA cloth insulation tape at all the contact points. My passenger door also seems to be rubbing against something when its closed.

Anyone has solved their issues pls share it here! I have a bunch of insulation tape and foam to get to work, would be better if i knew exactly where to start.

#26 ·
Hey guys, i had that noise in my glovebox area and feel most of your pain

It seems like the glovebox door is a little loose and when it is closed, it closes, but you can push on it and it moves very easily. Doing so may make a similar noise and it may be part of the issue The only thing i did was push around on the inside of my glovebox and put my manual and dealership papers in the little case they give you, and i put it on the shelf in the glovebox. I dont keep ANYTHING else in there except bank slips.

I know it doesnt sound like a fix, but try it. Minimal effort and maximum reward? Aside from having a useless glovebox. havent heard anything in a few days, fingers crossed.

Though i have to say, the Bose audio really helps this issue too :)Best of luck!

Love this car, gonna love it more with a turbo

(AWD Preferred)

#27 ·
Just to share, I’ve put some Tesa tape and a small layer of foam around the glovebox door. The sounds have all disappeared.

As for my passenger door I opened up the door trim and wrapped any remaining unwrapped wire (which isn’t a lot).
I also put foam where the wire could wiggle and tap against the door frame.

happy to report I’ve had no rattles since I’ve done all that.

#28 ·
Either the dealer genuinely couldn't find it or they don't want to take the time to fix it. It's in the HVAC system under your dash. A bracket, a shutter door or a component that screws were not tightened or came loose or spring let go. Time has to be spent removing parts till the issue is found. Grab a light, put a piece of cardboard or mat down and start pushing on and tapping parts and things till it happens. Don't remove too many parts if you don't have the skills. The easier way is tell the dealer to wait for a drop in from you. When it happens drop in and take someone for a drive. Then get a loaner as they deal with it. If it's deep in the dash it could take a week. So be patient. Don't get upset. It's a process.

#31 ·
Literally sounds like a rattling glovebox which is unfortunately common in the auto world :/ though generally more common on older vehicles, the problem is always the glovebox being so "unimportant" is made too cheaply
It's something inside of the dash on the drivers side .. also have a creaking noise coming from the driver's door anytime the suspension articulates on one side as if there is play in the door and subframe flexing or something.. hear it on hard acceleration too .. I'm sure it's because I have the first year production model and do hope these issues are fixed when I upgrade to the turbo model as I love the CX 30 overall and think it was a smart choice to lease the vehicle for the 2020 model.

#32 ·
Literally sounds like a rattling glovebox which is unfortunately common in the auto world :/ though generally more common on older vehicles, the problem is always the glovebox being so "unimportant" is made too cheaply
@Messoroz - please update your profile and post an introduction. It's all explained here.

#33 · (Edited)
The source of the rattling noise is the airbag assembly. It is common in several Mazda models. The simple solution is foam paddings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.