Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo (soul red mica)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my turbo this month and I was wondering about swapping out the all-season for summer tires since I will be getting a winter set as well. also something wider while I am at it. 215 seems pretty narrow. Not sure what might fit. 225 or 235.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am getting my turbo this month and I was wondering about swapping out the all-season for summer tires since I will be getting a winter set as well. also something wider while I am at it. 215 seems pretty narrow. Not sure what might fit. 225 or 235.
Any suggestions?
I'd stick with the 225 so there's less chance of them rubbing into the wheel well. I stuck with the 215 for summer and winter but when the summers wear out I'll be switching to 225. I didn't buy my turbo last week for the fuel economy. I bought it for my midlife crisis and turning 50 last month. Haha
Congrats on your choice!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I hope that i am not barging in But if you ask my oppinion i can not stress the importance of a good set of tires
ok define good.
The whole issue is a compremise as the perfect all round tire has not been made yet .

I have found that i have got to go high end regardless of price which should not come into it, however finding a suitable size and specifications is a dificult process with in the manufactures most likely all season would be the way to go if you are on a budget hey don buy cheep and by the way size matters along with wet weather and dry weather breaking, road handeling and correct tire pressure is critical
clearly OEM 215 50 /18 will keep the vihicle off the show room floor regarding the decision tyre buying business you can oput lipstick on a pig and its still a pig.
The Registered Nurse on ward 13 says safety is number one .
The tyre dealer can only offer their oppinion
Go to the real world for their driving experiances.
I have my oppinions however you must do you own research.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any suggestions?
Edit. Sorry for confusion. My new turbo came with 215/55 R18's. Mistook the 15 & 55.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My new turbo came with 255's.
Baker B greetings.

REF TIRE SIZE.

All Is well !
Here are my thoughts .
Did you mean your turbo CX30 would come with 255 mm, yikes ! thats a big one if so, the side wall would be / could be / should be / many times shorter
My thought are that a 225 mm is hardly worth the change by increasing the width by only .10 mm over stock
The inrease to the 235 is a 20 mm increase over stock.

If you go with say the 235 size you will most likely have to reduce the stock profile of 55% to 50 % with respect to the 215/ 55 / 18 OEM tire to give you the required 27.3 diameter

The 235 /50 /18 size is subject to a mechanics confirmation .

I found a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 which i like , but not the "S 4 " which is a competition tire.

It is important to remember to stay with in the diameter of 27.3 of the O.E.M stock tire size recomendations.
: Ref . Gear box
: Ref . A.B.S. breaking
: Ref . Speedometer reading.

As an observation
I have found the more tread pattern the tire has relates to wet driving.
the less tread pattern the tire relates to dry driving.
The A / S tire is the compormise wet / dry

Donald

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Turbo
306 Posts
Any suggestions?
Here is a conversion chart:

·
Registered
98 Posts
SKU TOR.

TIRE QUALITY PASSENGER CARS.

SIZE WISE Going from 215 to 225 is hardly worth the change unless you are going for better quality .

Selecting the best tire for a vehicle is a very trying business.
We all drive diferently .
We all drive under different road and weather conditions.
Do not rush into the process of tire buying with out giving the process full consideration.
Impulse buying can lead to trajic consequences.
MOST TIRES have a life span of MAX 6 years when they are finished.
Some tires may have spent some years on the shelf oops!
Some discount dealers may grind off the date . oops!
Some tires have informative ware bars.
Most tires tread wear is measured by depletion in 32 seconds / inch say from 10 /32 ".
2/32 nds is close to replacement time.

Dependant on how the car is driven.

Front tires wear difently than rear tires.
Tires come in a variety of compouds.
Hard tires wear over longer distances
Soft tires wear over shorter distances
Tire inflation pressure is critical.

Donald

·
Registered
98 Posts
GERNTZ
Greetings Sir .
I am new here to the forum ,I make zillions of very tiney errors add them all up and it becomes necular.
I write to thank you for up dating your CX30 turbo tires sizes for which you have my greatest respect to 215 /55/ R18 in the USA.

You are a very lucky fellow, all we get in Bermuda is the two ltr / 2000 cc Naturaly aspirated engine. same tires.

Donald

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo (soul red mica)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Baker B greetings.

REF TIRE SIZE.

All Is well !
Here are my thoughts .
Did you mean your turbo CX30 would come with 255 mm, yikes ! thats a big one if so, the side wall would be / could be / should be / many times shorter
My thought are that a 225 mm is hardly worth the change by increasing the width by only .10 mm over stock
The inrease to the 235 is a 20 mm increase over stock.

If you go with say the 235 size you will most likely have to reduce the stock profile of 55% to 50 % with respect to the 215/ 55 / 18 OEM tire to give you the required 27.3 diameter

The 235 /50 /18 size is subject to a mechanics confirmation .

I found a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 which i like , but not the "S 4 " which is a competition tire.

It is important to remember to stay with in the diameter of 27.3 of the O.E.M stock tire size recomendations.
: Ref . Gear box
: Ref . A.B.S. breaking
: Ref . Speedometer reading.

As an observation
I have found the more tread pattern the tire has relates to wet driving.
the less tread pattern the tire relates to dry driving.
The A / S tire is the compormise wet / dry

Donald
Thank you. That was very helpful. I will probably buy another set of wheels and tires for winter so that means I have other options to consider such as using the stock wheel for winter and get a 19" wheel and a lower profile summer (performance) tire. It probably won't happen but its fun to research while you are trapped at home waiting for your new car to arrive.
Cheers

·
Registered
98 Posts
BARKER B.
The day will come when you will get the chance to tell the world that your new CX30 has arrived .
B.T.W. I have diven several cars from the show room right out into the rain.

I am a big Michelin fan there is a strict order when it comes to choosing the right tire for your jelopy.

Brand.
Tire size.
Tire type
Total wheel weight .
Tempreture
Tire pressure
Speed
Wheel size
Will it fit.
Driving conditions
Road conditions
I did not forget looks ,did I ?

Donald
" The smatest man in the world is not the man who knows alot but the man who know where he can find it out"
Now where did I put my glasses ? In the sink !

·
Registered
98 Posts
Gerntz
i have found a Michelin. Defender T+H 215 / 55 / 18 " i all season tire think and hope you will approve
as it is a 27.3 diameter .
Suitable for a 7 " rim
i am in the process of acumulating details just now .
i am thinking that we are not going to find a larger tie to fit the Mazda OEM wheel .

Donald

·
Registered
98 Posts
Any suggestions?
If you change your tire over to 225 from 215 your are looking ar say 4/10 " Which is hardly noticabe to the untrained eye.

Going to 235 that is say 3/4" wider and not much good for snow and by the way you will need a wheel width change to suit that wider tire along with extra tire resistance, you will burn more gas kind of hardlty worth the added expence.
.If you are looking for quality and a better tire i would not blame you , you will have a better selection quality wise with the 215 tire selection the problem with the 235 tire is you will have a drop the side profile to 50% to retain the correct wheel diameter and may be a harsher ride.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have 245/40/R20 and the ride is just fine with the reduced side profile. Not sure of the fuel impact yet...
VEHICLE CATAGORY
Because I am old school i never can fathum out there they get crossover from certainly not may favourite way to describe an atractive car .
Mazda CX3 har two faces and is getting many more faces just by change the wheels and tires does it.
Can a crosover become born again as a S.U.V. and I wonder what will come next ,Doon buggy !
My first ever car became a Truck or Dirt car when we build our house ,4 bags of cement in the back ,the headlights would light up Venus.
I doubt if rally car would work, i can leave that title to the 2 or the CX3.
Some refer the vehicle as a" Daily driver" Hey guys dont kill it, what a put down ,when the interior is in the luxury class.
May be the CX30 is what you want it to be !
You could ask your self did you buy the wrong car !

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo
1 Posts
Any suggestions?
I've got a 2021 CX-30 Turbo and put Nokian Hakkapellita RSI SUV winters on the stock 18" rims. I got 19" rims and put 235/45R19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on those for summer use. I've had no problems with the 19" setup, though I still feel the tires are pretty narrow. I'm thinking of going to 265/40R19 tires when the existing 235's wear out, but will have to do lots of measuring inside the wheel well and discussions with my mechanic to see if those will fit without problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts