Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Turbo Premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
If you're like me you had a hard time justifying nearly $150 for mud flaps for your new CX-30. So I decided to yolo (not on GME) but on a $40 pair of mud flaps from Amazon that are supposed to be for our car.

If you're short on time, the TL/DR is: these are great and well worth the $40 bucks over Mazda OEM.

The reviews on Amazon are all from a wide range of cars. I didn't know if these were generic or car specific. These are car specific. The back of the mudflap has cx-30 molded into it, so these aren't generic slabs of plastic.

The rear ones can be installed in 2 minutes each. The mounting holes on the mud flaps line up with holes already in the body that are holding the wheel well/bumper plastic in place. First, underneath the car right behind the wheel is a small phillips head screw. Take that out, but you'll be putting it back in a second. Next, in the wheel well, take a small flat head screw driver and pop the head out of the two plastic fasteners and remove them. Put the mud flap in place, put the fasters back in, and push the heads back in. Now go back underneath the car and put that phillips head screw back in, this time through the mud flap mount as well. You're done. This can easily be accomplished with the wheel installed.

This is what comes in the package

Rear wheel well with fasteners removed

Screw already reinstalled.

Mud Flap installed

Like it was made for it!

The front ones are a little trickier and can be done with the wheel on but is probably better wheel off. For the front, reusing the plastic fasteners won't work, they're too short. You'll see when you go to do it but up front they are recessed into the plastic and with the mud flap in the way they can't get in far enough to push the head in, expand them and snap into place. I got some longer ones at Napa, any auto parts store will have a big lazy susan of fasteners. Go find some that look close.

The top one is the replacement I got, bottom one is OEM.

The front flaps don't have anything underneath securing them like the rear ones do. I thought driving on a highway in gusty crosswinds might make them flap around and make noise. As you move along the wheel well toward the inside of the car you can easily feel where the wheel well/fender is plastic with nothing behind it. I chose that location to drill a hole and use one of the included screws to better attach the mud flap. I drilled into it with a 1/8 bit and then attached the screw. This is where you'd need to have the front wheel off. You could install these on just the two factory mount points but since I was swapping to snow tires anyways, I wanted to make them more secure.

Front fender installed

No, I'm not getting money, affiliated with, or representing this company in any way. It just seemed nuts to me to spend over $100 on molded plastic, even if we did just spend 30K on the car. I took a gamble to see if these were a good substitute for OEM and I think they are more than adequate. Hopefully this post will give anyone thinking of doing this enough confidence to tackle the job themselves and add a little flair to their car. Cheers!

·
Registered
2020 / AWD / Base
34 Posts
Great write up. Thanks for sharing this. Can you please post the link you used as there are many out there.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda Cx30 GT AWD
16 Posts
Cool thanks.

Going to do the universal rally armour here soon. Now I know what to do to make it happen

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
705 Posts
I just purchased the set presented in this thread (thanks for the presenter) from Amazon Canada, as it comes from the US there is shipping and import fees, so total cost to my door was $71.09, still a lot cheaper than from the local Mazda dealer as they want $107 a pair plus if you live in Ontario (like me) you can add 13% tax to that for a total of $120.91 x 2 = $241.82 vs $71.09, quite a difference. They also want $20 per wheel to install.

It would be interesting to see how they do compare to the OEM from a dealer to see how much of a difference there actual is.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo
9 Posts
Thanks @ajvpb for the detailed instructions and link. Just drove a new CX-30 home last night and this will be my first project.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
705 Posts
thanks to the ops info I have now installed these mud-flaps, however I found it was not necessary to remove the wheels to do the job. I found one original plastic fastener worked on the front ones but not the other one, but I had a spare plastic fastener the same length but the centre section screwed into the head and seemed to hold, but I did add the additional fastener as suggested.

Reactions: Denny Crane
1 - 7 of 7 Posts