Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy the Mazda CX30 AWD, but I see that it's not rated for towing. I want to be able to tow a 1500lbs pop-up camper once in a while. The Mazda CX5 IS rated for towing up to 2000lbs, but comparing the power specs between CX30 and CX5 I'm not understanding why only the 5 is rated-- they are nearly identical. Same engine size (2.5L 4Cly), comparable HP (186 vs. 187) and curb weight (3,388 lbs vs. 3,679 lbs).

Can someone help me understand why the CX5 is rated to tow but the CX30 isn't?

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 Premium Hatch polymetal gray over red/blk
273 Posts
I'm looking to buy the Mazda CX30 AWD, but I see that it's not rated for towing. I want to be able to tow a 1500lbs pop-up camper once in a while. The Mazda CX5 IS rated for towing up to 2000lbs, but comparing the power specs between CX30 and CX5 I'm not understanding why only the 5 is rated-- they are nearly identical. Same engine size (2.5L 4Cly), comparable HP (186 vs. 187) and curb weight (3,388 lbs vs. 3,679 lbs).

Can someone help me understand why the CX5 is rated to tow but the CX30 isn't?
Try reading through these threads. They may prove helpful; A Hitch is Coming!

And: tow bar

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,520 Posts
I found official Mazda towing capacities. 1,500 lb for non-turbo, 2,000 lb for turbo.
you need to provide a link for this "official" information about towing because in the 2021 CX-30 US owners manual it states:

Font Rectangle Brand Slope Number

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 Premium Hatch polymetal gray over red/blk
273 Posts
like someone said, it's a dealer website (trying to upsell hitches) not mazda. the owner's manual says not designed for towing. it would probably void your warranty.
Funny, on Aussy Mazda website ( CX-30 Specifications ) it lists towing capacity as 600k (1322 lbs) unbraked, 1200k (2645lbs braked..I suspect Mazda USA is lying about the car not being designed for towing, either because they believe the U.S. driver is less responsible or for liability concerns in our particularly litigious country. Pretty certain there are no chassis differences between US and other foreign market CX 30s to warrant a towing prohibition.
Mazda U.K. also lists CX 30 tow ratings. Mazda CX-30 | Model Comparison | Mazda UK

The situation is the same with my Mazda 3.

The CX5 receives higher tow ratings outside N.A.

·
Registered
2021 Turbo Premium
175 Posts
The US CX-30 is certainly capable of towing a trailer (mechanically), but the official guidance from Mazda is that the CX-30 is not rated for towing (even though non-US CX-30s are rated for towing).

The reason for the US policy could be liability, it could be to try to up-sell buyers to a CX-5, who knows? Either way, if you want to tow a small trailer on relatively flat ground, go for it. Just know what you're doing so you don't damage anything, because if something eventually breaks, you may have to fight Mazda on whether the issue was caused by your towing or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.