Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 GT AWD - Soul Red Crystal
134 Posts
There was a computer update they did for the rough start and hesitation that is all I know at this time. I am sorry your mom is also experiencing it. I did contact Mazda and the NTSB about it also. Apparently most car manufacturers will handle things internally till complaints get multiple then the NTSB demands data.
Thank you kindly
🚗

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update I started two loaner cars they had sitting there and same thing. The head mechanic said it is a product of this cattylic converter with Mazda’s 2.0 engine . I am just going to see how long I can stand this and am writing Mazda. I want to enjoy a car if I wanted a car that hesitates I would have gotten a manual.
LOL...the catalytic converter. Sounds like the salesman is also the mechanic.

·
Registered
AWD GT CX-30 ceramic coated
323 Posts
LOL...the catalytic converter. Sounds like the salesman is also the mechanic.
Lol it's not a catalytic converter issue .. like iv said it's a software issue .. I drove a cx3 for a month as a loaner while I waited for my factory direct ordered CX 30 to come in and it didn't so the same thing and Infact when the software on my cx-30 got updated on the PCM it did Infact fix most of the harsh shifts and is now allot smoother.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey guys, I don't have a cx30. But I do have a 19 mazda 3 with the same drive train.

I too noticed this herky jerky stuff at the beginning. It was pretty annoying. For some reason though after about 15,000 km the issue seemed to dissapear. I now have 30,000 km on it and the issue is completely gone. It was common on the mazda 3 in the begining. Maybe it has something to do with a break in period or something

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 Soul Red Select AWD
71 Posts
What the Salesman / Mechanic Was referring to is very real. Not saying that has anything to do with this issue. However with the Sky active engine and running a 13.1 compression ratio (14.1 in Europe). Mazda had to design a complex exhaust manifold and place the catalytic converter far away from the engine. So to meet emission standards they have to run the engine at a high RPM initially. This is to heat up the catalytic converter fast enough to function. That is why all sky active engines (NA unsure on Turbo's) on a cold start are louder and hold 1500rpm's for a good 30 seconds or more. So if you where to start the car cold and immediately shift into gear it might slam a little bit. I would not be aware of this... because I always give the car a few seconds to get oil flow on a cold start.

·
Registered
323 Posts
What the Salesman / Mechanic Was referring to is real. Not saying that has anything to do with this issue. However with the Sky active engine and running a 13.1 compression ratio... Mazda had to design a complex exhaust manifold and place the catalytic converter far away from the engine. So to meet emission standards they have to run the engine at a high RPM. This is to heat up the catalytic converter fast enough to function. That is why all sky active engines on a cold start are louder and hold 1500rpm's for a good 30 seconds or more. So if you where to start the car cold and immediately shift into gear it might slam a little bit. I would not know this... because I always give the car a few seconds to get oil flow on a cold start.
I remember reading about this feature in a 2015 CX 5 Manuel and that it is so e sort of quick warm-up feature as I forget the technical term but yes it did say it's to warm up the exhaust gases the quickest way possible.. and that you don't have to Watford the cycle to finish and that it may jolt a bit when put into gear and that is normal operation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I remember reading about this feature in a 2015 CX 5 Manuel and that it is so e sort of quick warm-up feature as I forget the technical term but yes it did say it's to warm up the exhaust gases the quickest way possible.. and that you don't have to Watford the cycle to finish and that it may jolt a bit when put into gear and that is normal operation.
It certainly does have a warm up routine - that is for sure.

I usually let it do it's little routine and let the revs drop a bit before driving away if I have the time. It only rev's high for about 30 seconds

·
Registered
323 Posts

I usually let it do it's little routine and let the revs drop a bit before driving away if I have the time. It only rev's high for about 30 seconds
here is a quick little video from Mazda about the accelerated warmup mode.

·
Registered
323 Posts

here is a quick little video from Mazda about the accelerated warmup mode.

·
Registered
20 CX-30 AWD JBM Prem
146 Posts
Wai-what? Accelerated Warm Up Mode, Really...I thought that was standard warm-up mode on computer controlled vehicles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an appt the second week in July am on quarantine someone around me has covid
Did you ever get resolved? I have this problem continuously and have taken it in twice and I got one person who could replicate it, but all others no. They claimed to of checked everything and software and cant find the problem. Mine only has 3500 miles on it and already had one new battery. Wondering if anyone got a separate opinion from private mechanic? I have a premium FWD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
not a problem and i am sorry that you are having a frustrating experience with your cx-30 and i will continue to drive mine how i always have and let you guys know if anthing changes but i am happy so far as the shift points are allot smoother and almost seamless.
Do you know the name of the software update? what is PCM

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 Soul Red Select AWD
71 Posts
PCM = Power-train Control Module ... It controls the shift points of the Transmission. And much much more...

What exactly are you experiencing with the transmission?

·
Registered
3 Posts
PCM = Power-train Control Module ... It controls the shift points of the Transmission. And much much more...

What exactly are you experiencing with the transmission?
Car jerks and lurches when accelerating at slow speeds, like if its parked for a bit , I back up and try to accelerate and it hesitates and jerky motion. Also hard drive in general. Brought in several times and only one tech could replicate, but couldnt find the problem...

·
Registered
323 Posts
So I dropped my CX 30 off this morning at my dealership for a rattle issue in the dash and was given a 2018 Mazda 6 with 2,400 km on it and Interestingly the transmission when I was driving feels allot more refined and smoother if I compared it to my CX 30. Just thought I would share that as iv had nothing to compare it to regards to another Mazda.

·
Registered
20 CX-30 AWD JBM Prem
146 Posts
Car jerks and lurches when accelerating at slow speeds, like if its parked for a bit , I back up and try to accelerate and it hesitates and jerky motion. Also hard drive in general. Brought in several times and only one tech could replicate, but couldnt find the problem...
Mine does the same thing at low speed. Accelerate briskly no issue, accelerate normally herky-jerky.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts