Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine does the same thing at low speed. Accelerate briskly no issue, accelerate normally herky-jerky.
Now its happening at higher speeds. When I press down to accelerate it doesnt want to accelerate as expected. Especially from 20-30mph. It revs up and doesnt move. And of course dealer couldnt replicate .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can we all start posting Build dates and FWD/AWD to see if there is any correlation?

1. I have a NOV/19 AWD that has been silky smooth since day one. The first 1,000 miles there were a couple times where it was not sure what gear to be in. But once it learned how I drive it is spot on. At about 9,300 Mi now...

2. My mother has a FWD not sure on build date (Leased in late February). Only 2000 miles but no issues as of yet...
Mine was 1/20 Mexico FWD problems since 1500 miles and now at 3900 problem has gotten worse.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Now its happening at higher speeds. When I press down to accelerate it doesnt want to accelerate as expected. Especially from 20-30mph. It revs up and doesnt move. And of course dealer couldnt replicate .
Is it sort of a feeling of being in between gears where the revs kind go up then slowly down and then feels like it's lugging a little bit? Kind of just really a sloppy shift feeling more like a CVT when it's a regular transmission.

Hopefully that makes sense, hard to describe.

·
Registered
PAST OWNER OF A AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated-curently have a 100th Anniversary edition mazda 3
738 Posts
Is it sort of a feeling of being in between gears where the revs kind go up then slowly down and then feels like it's lugging a little bit? Kind of just really a sloppy shift feeling more like a CVT when it's a regular transmission.

Hopefully that makes sense, hard to describe.
Well theretocly a CVT doesn't shift at all but on Mazda's skyactiv drive transmission what you might be feeling is the tourque converter being locked up right from 10km/h and so the software and or computer controlling the transmission has be programmed to stay in as much of a higher gear as possible to have be fuel efficient tho however if you would like to have a more responsive crisp feel for driving for more aggressively driving flick it into sport mode 🙂

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well theretocly a CVT doesn't shift at all but on Mazda's skyactiv drive transmission what you might be feeling is the tourque converter being locked up right from 10km/h and so the software and or computer controlling the transmission has be programmed to stay in as much of a higher gear as possible to have be fuel efficient tho however if you would like to have a more responsive crisp feel for driving for more aggressively driving flick it into sport mode 🙂
Yea I know CVT's don't shift, but that's kinda the feeling. It is probably that, the TC locking up. I sometimes wish there cars weren't so tuned for fuel efficiency. I find sport mode to hold the gears a little bit too long for normal daily driving. But it can def be fun

·
Registered
PAST OWNER OF A AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated-curently have a 100th Anniversary edition mazda 3
738 Posts
Yea I know CVT's don't shift, but that's kinda the feeling. It is probably that, the TC locking up. I sometimes wish there cars weren't so tuned for fuel efficiency. I find sport mode to hold the gears a little bit too long for normal daily driving. But it can def be fun
Well that's what most consumers want in the market.. even trucks now they make them as fuel efficient as it possiblity can be. Mazda has done a terrific job tho with their skyactiv G engines.. fuel efficient without compromising much HP and performance.. where allot of manufacturers take the easy way out and throw a CVT in n with a under poor HP engine to get the EPA approval.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well that's what most consumers want in the market.. even trucks now they make them as fuel efficient as it possiblity can be. Mazda has done a terrific job tho with their skyactiv G engines.. fuel efficient without compromising much HP and performance.. where allot of manufacturers take the easy way out and throw a CVT in n with a under poor HP engine to get the EPA approval.
Oh yea I understand that part. I was talking about just me lol

Just more aggressive shifting. I guess that's what sport mode is for and I agree they have done a good job on the balance compared to others.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Oh yea I understand that part. I was talking about just me lol

Just more aggressive shifting. I guess that's what sport mode is for and I agree they have done a good job on the balance compared to others.
Yes sport mode keeps you in the correct torque and power band for more aggressive lively driving style and it works very well.. lol coming from a rally race driver 🤣 I took mine around the track for 5 laps cus I really wanted to feel the full driving dynamics of the vehicle and let me say it handled very well .. lol yah I k ow the CX 30 isn't a race car 🤣 that I know but I figured if others have taken the Mazda 3 around a track why couldn't I try my rally track experience on it. 🤷🙂

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ive noticed with hills you should step on the pedal before you start going up it if you can, and to not do it too lightly so the vehicle gets your throttle input in time. Shifts are much smoother with hills when you've shifted down before engaging the incline.

My main complaint is the stuttering transmission going from 1st to second gear from a complete stop. Seems to stutter once or twice in that shift about 85% of the time.

As far as the car lurching or whatnot, it's significantly declined in the past 3000 miles or so (at 10k now, had vehicle for 4 months)

AWD PREFERRED

·
Registered
738 Posts
Ive noticed with hills you should step on the pedal before you start going up it if you can, and to not do it too lightly so the vehicle gets your throttle input in time. Shifts are much smoother with hills when you've shifted down before engaging the incline.

My main complaint is the stuttering transmission going from 1st to second gear from a complete stop. Seems to stutter once or twice in that shift about 85% of the time.

As far as the car lurching or whatnot, it's significantly declined in the past 3000 miles or so (at 10k now, had vehicle for 4 months)

AWD PREFERRED
I have noticed the shifting has smoothed out allot to the point for me most of the time I don't even notice it shifting unless I'm looking at the RPM gauge.. I'm now at 14,500 km or 9009 miles and overall I am happy with how responsive the skyactiv drive transmission is. If I want it to be more aggressive to down shift with let's say merging into a freeway or something.. as I'm approaching the merging lane I switch on sport mode and I don't need to lay into the throttle so much to get it to down shift to accelerate quickly as I understand that normal mode is programmed to be fuel efficient and I find it need to really push into the throttle to get it to down shift to accelerate quickly so sport mode works well for that and this way I don't need to push into th throttle nearly as much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
My 2020 CX30 Premium FWD, 13K miles, is still experiencing the surging and jerking I wrote about nearly a year ago. Been to the dealer twice with nothing found wrong. I recently found this Mazda TSB that applies to the CX 5 and 3 models that describes exactly what I feel. Since the 5, 3 and 30 all have nearly the identical power trains, I wonder if it would also apply to the 30? Anyone else have this issue, and any solutions? Thanks!:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
My 2020 CX30 Premium FWD, 13K miles, is still experiencing the surging and jerking I wrote about nearly a year ago. Been to the dealer twice with nothing found wrong. I recently found this Mazda TSB that applies to the CX 5 and 3 models that describes exactly what I feel. Since the 5, 3 and 30 all have nearly the identical power trains, I wonder if it would also apply to the 30? Anyone else have this issue, and any solutions? Thanks!:)
Mazda TSB is 05-02/20, dated 12/18/2020.
"Some customers may complain about a surging at low speeds and during acceleration. This surging is in the longitudinal direction, felt about 2 cycles per second, and occurs in the locked up 1st gear. This may be caused by the torque fluctuation and the torsional resonance in the torque converter. To correct this concern, the PCM software has been modified to reduce the torque fluctuation."

·
Registered
2020 CX30 FWD
4 Posts
I'm new to the Mazda family with the recent CX 30 purchase, but rather surprised at the hesitation, lurching and jerking of the transmission, at slower speeds, especially on first startup. Is this normal in a Mazda trans? I've driven Toys, Hondas with both types of trans, and never experienced this issue. I only have about 1500 miles so far, but this trans issue is staining what otherwise is a fine car. Anyone else have this issue? Thx
The transmission on my 2020 CX30 went out at 8900 miles. This was less than a month ago. It was covered under warranty but they had to put a new transmission in and the explanation was "faulty parts". The new transmission behaves as you've described. It's like the car has a difficult time finding a gear after a downshift. At times, it gurgles as though it is close to stalling. Very concerning.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The transmission on my 2020 CX30 went out at 8900 miles. This was less than a month ago. It was covered under warranty but they had to put a new transmission in and the explanation was "faulty parts". The new transmission behaves as you've described. It's like the car has a difficult time finding a gear after a downshift. At times, it gurgles as though it is close to stalling. Very concerning.
Oh my gosh.. I am really shocked.. I have beaten on mine pretty hard at times with the way I like to drive sometimes .. and I have 13359 miles on mine and it has been fantastic thus far.. you seem to have had a one in a million chances sort of fluke thing happen to you.. It normally is a really solid transmission and so I hope things do work out allot better for you.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Select AWD
146 Posts
This topic hasn't been discussed on in 5 months. Just wondering how many of you have had success with updating the PCM software through your dealerships.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
This topic hasn't been discussed on in 5 months. Just wondering how many of you have had success with updating the PCM software through your dealerships.
I have 20K miles on mine now, and I don't notice the surging/jerkiness as much; either due to the trans getting smoother (probably), or I've just gotten used to it! :) But it is less of an annoyance now. I took it to the dealer twice, at 2k and at the oil change, 7K, and both times they said "trans operating as designed and normally". There was no updating of PCM software from them. I did post the Mazda TSB regarding the CX5 and 3, but never discussed it with the dealer since it didn't apply to the CX 30.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Select AWD
146 Posts
I have 20K miles on mine now, and I don't notice the surging/jerkiness as much; either due to the trans getting smoother (probably), or I've just gotten used to it! :) But it is less of an annoyance now. I took it to the dealer twice, at 2k and at the oil change, 7K, and both times they said "trans operating as designed and normally". There was no updating of PCM software from them. I did post the Mazda TSB regarding the CX5 and 3, but never discussed it with the dealer since it didn't apply to the CX 30.
Thank you for the update on your person vehicle! I really like the CX-30 and I hope that with all of this jerking and vibrations and other issues I have, as much as it is annoying (and I am trying to have it fixed) that it is just a characteristic of the vehicle and not an actual problem.
I would love to keep it for a long time!

81 - 100 of 108 Posts