Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Premium. Soul Red
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st to 2nd is quite mushy, 3rd less so, the rest are fine. Sport Mode does not improve the shift feeling. Can a tuner improve that shift feeling? (I wish they could improve the ratio split between 1 and 2 as well, but that's something else)

·
Registered
PAST OWNER OF A AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated-curently have a 100th Anniversary edition mazda 3
743 Posts
1st to 2nd is quite mushy, 3rd less so, the rest are fine. Sport Mode does not improve the shift feeling. Can a tuner improve that shift feeling? (I wish they could improve the ratio split between 1 and 2 as well, but that's something else)
all i can really say is i went from a 2020 cx 30 to a 2021 turbo mazda3... the transmission in the mazda 3 turbo shifts day and night smoothness difference... the shifts in the 3 are barely noticeable its that smooth.. maybe they changed software tuneing ... i know they did have to beef it up some to handle all the torque... anyways just thought i would share my experiences from a comparison point of view.

·
Registered
Polymetal CX-30 Turbo (base)
15 Posts
all i can really say is i went from a 2020 cx 30 to a 2021 turbo mazda3... the transmission in the mazda 3 turbo shifts day and night smoothness difference... the shits in the 3 are barely noticeable its that smooth.. maybe they changed software tuneing ... i know they did have to beef it up some to handle all the torque... anyways just thought i would share my experiences from a comparison point of view.
Feels the same to me on the CX-30 Turbo. Shifts are smooth and they stay in the rev range I expect them to.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Premium. Soul Red
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having had almost exclusivly manual transmissions my entire plfe, save a few collector cars with version of the Borg Warner and Detroit Gear transmissions, I am used to firm, crisp shifts, not soft, mushy shifts. It just feels like it is slipping while it's shifting, even if it isn't. If I could have found a US CX anything with a manual trans, I would have gone with it, but they do not exist. And everyone is phasing out manuals worldwide, so I guess this dinosaur will have to adjust or die.

·
Registered
Polymetal CX-30 Turbo (base)
15 Posts
Having had almost exclusivly manual transmissions my entire plfe, save a few collector cars with version of the Borg Warner and Detroit Gear transmissions, I am used to firm, crisp shifts, not soft, mushy shifts. It just feels like it is slipping while it's shifting, even if it isn't. If I could have found a US CX anything with a manual trans, I would have gone with it, but they do not exist. And everyone is phasing out manuals worldwide, so I guess this dinosaur will have to adjust or die.
Just go test drive a CVT and then get back in your CX and you will feel really good about the transmission!

·
Registered
PAST OWNER OF A AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated-curently have a 100th Anniversary edition mazda 3
743 Posts
Feels the same to me on the CX-30 Turbo. Shifts are smooth and they stay in the rev range I expect them to.
For me the 2020 cx 30 i had .. it would have some slightly harsh shift shocks from 3-4th and from 5-6th tho in the 2021 turbo 3 i now have .. it is a huge difference better for some reason... I know they had to change the transmission and Awd system some to be able to handle the torque... so perhaps updated software etc.... and or whatever the engineers did to beef up the transmission maybe has something to do with it ... I certainly find it to be a improvement in shift quality.
Hands down tho it is a solid and fantastic transmission,.. But i just wanted to share what i noticed if i compare.. someone else now drives my 2020 cx 30 :p

·
Registered
2021 Turbo Premium
116 Posts
I have... but can this one be tuned for firmer shifts?
You could check with the service dept whether there is a newer flash available for your ECU.

I came from a Tacoma and their auto transmissions from 2016 to 2019 were notorious for up shifting early and gear hunting. Last year they released a new flash which improved the shift points along with a TSB bulletin.

Don't know if the Mazda transmission can be tweaked the same way, but if the same hardware is used in both the 2020 and 2021 models, but the 2021 shifts better, it's possible the did a software update which the dealer may be able to install for you.

This is all just speculation though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts