Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Update your profile and enter your Vehicle Details
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Yall--I have a 2020 CX-30 Select.

Long story short, I want to upgrade the speakers and add in a sub to my car. However, the Crutchfield rep said that [1] the speaker sizes are so small, there are no good aftermarket solutions, and [2] that the base audio system will not transmit a full frequency to aftermarket speakers--so the new speakers would only pick up bass.

I want to know if any of you non-Bose-system havers have had success upgrading from the horrendous base audio system. Please say someone here has!

Also--thoughts on just adding a sub with the base system?

Thanks!
- BT

·
Registered
G25 Touring - 2020 - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
114 Posts
I don't mind the stock stereo, but one day I dream of upgrading it too.

I'm wild guessing that the stock head unit outputs filtered frequencies to the stock speakers. So any new speakers you install won't play at their best as they are only receiving a filtered signal that is suited to the stock speakers.

My only suggestion, in my amateur opinion, is install a secondary music playing device (like a Bluetooth receiver) that will output the full frequencies to an amp that will power your new speakers, and some sort of switch so you can switch between the stock car head unit and the new device. I don't even know if this will work though. But might be worth to bring it up with an audio installer.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,390 Posts
I think the standard 8-speaker system sounds great and have no desire to change it - but "to each is own". 😉 Their is a power amp for the standard system under the passengers seat.

Reactions: Navii

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select AWD
109 Posts
I personally think the non-premium system sucks. It's all pretty much midrange. I did browse cruthfield at one point and as OP found out, there isn't anything that will fit stock. Meant to stop by one of the local audio shops to get their opinion but it's not on a priority list. Didn't know there was an amp under the seat. Good find.
Will follow this to see if anyone found a solution,

·
Update your profile and enter your Vehicle Details
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the only thing left it seems is getting something truly custom I guess--and even then, I'd doubt anything feasible will be an option.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo - Black
6 Posts
I can't stand the base stereo. I'm going to start looking into it. I think front and rear doors are 3.5 with 1 or 2 3.5 in the dash. Guessing front door 3.5 get mids and rear doors are full range. You can barely hear the rear doors in mine. I have some JBL in the shop I'd like to try. I also have a slim powered sub that I think may fill in the low end so that it is tolerable. Will probably put some fatmat or whatever I bought last time in the doors while they are apart.

Reactions: Navii

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select AWD
109 Posts
@5.0 Junkie Please share with the forum if you go with the upgrade. I know there are a few of us here who would like to do this but I personally just haven't had the time or the burning desire just yet to take a plunge.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo - Black
6 Posts
Well, good and bad. I pulled the door panel. Kind of a pain. Door panel and trim scratch very easily, even with plastic trim tools. LF door speaker is a 3 1/2" paper cone. I was able to get a 3 1/2" JBL in there I already had. I used t taps and was able to get it running. It did seem to help clean up the muddiness and round out the sound. It did seem to be full range. The bad was, if you look at the factory "housing" it has 2 screws on the same side to hold the speaker. I was able to get 1 screw in the new speaker, but the other side was flopping. I figured it would rattle. I tried to fab up a bracket for the other side, but ended up breaking the speaker mounting ear off. Kind of tweaked about that. I put 3 sheets of kilmat in the door and put it all back together with the factory speaker. My suggestion is until the aftermarket comes out with a housing and quick connect speaker harnesses, it probably isn't worth it. The speaker housing does bolt on, so it is very possible for them to injection mold one if there is enough demand.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
802 Posts
I tried to fab up a bracket for the other side, but ended up breaking the speaker mounting ear off. Kind of tweaked about that. I put 3 sheets of kilmat in the door and put it all back together with the factory speaker. My suggestion is until the aftermarket comes out with a housing and quick connect speaker harnesses, it probably isn't worth it. The speaker housing does bolt on, so it is very possible for them to injection mold one if there is enough demand.
Good effort. Shame you couldn't finish the job.

Could you maybe get a 3D-Printed bracket put together prior to injection moulded alternatives? (these are likely to be stiffer than injection moulded too).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mind sharing what model amp you had installed? I just got my CX-30 and looking to throw this sub in as well. Curious what amp was used.

Thanks!

Installed a Kicker 10” CompRT sub and 400w amp for far improved sound in my CX-30. Fits like a glove, it’s a downfiring system, so no one even knows it’s there, so strong an adult can stand on it.
View attachment 2306
View attachment 2307

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, good and bad. I pulled the door panel. Kind of a pain. Door panel and trim scratch very easily, even with plastic trim tools. LF door speaker is a 3 1/2" paper cone. I was able to get a 3 1/2" JBL in there I already had. I used t taps and was able to get it running. It did seem to help clean up the muddiness and round out the sound. It did seem to be full range. The bad was, if you look at the factory "housing" it has 2 screws on the same side to hold the speaker. I was able to get 1 screw in the new speaker, but the other side was flopping. I figured it would rattle. I tried to fab up a bracket for the other side, but ended up breaking the speaker mounting ear off. Kind of tweaked about that. I put 3 sheets of kilmat in the door and put it all back together with the factory speaker. My suggestion is until the aftermarket comes out with a housing and quick connect speaker harnesses, it probably isn't worth it. The speaker housing does bolt on, so it is very possible for them to injection mold one if there is enough demand.
Thanks for being so adventurous and the great photos! I know that cars are head and shoulders more advanced than in the old days, but I do miss the time when even an idiot like me could upgrade the stereo. My first car was a 1975 Dodge Dart, which I bought from my Dad in 1982. When I turned 16 and started driving I convinced my Dad to allow me to "upgrade" the stereo. It must have been around 1979 when I bought a Pioneer cassette/radio head unit from Crutchfield, with what was some sort of "install kit" and upgraded the 6 x 9 with Pioneer coaxials! I managed to do it without too much damage, then again that "install" was like getting a stereo hooked up to an old Kenmore Washer... :rolleyes: It worked and I thought that I was hot-crap cruising with my Pioneer and my Maxell/TDK mix tapes. I used to buy those by the dozen.

That car had the 225ci slanted inline 6. A "reliable" almost indestructible engine, which was otherwise a slug. The car was alright as long as I didn't attempt to make any "quick" turns... It was all forward for the old Dodge, Talk about reminiscing!

There are many advantages to today's integrated cars, but we are married to the setup that comes from the factory. My consolation is that that the basic system that comes with the CX-30 can NOT be worse than the stock system in my 2020 Kia Soul. It was also impossible to upgrade. I will follow this thread, since it would be nice to "upgrade" the speakers and installing a subwoofer would be icing on the cake. I guess we'll have to be patient.

Reactions: KuroCX30

·
Registered
6 Posts
I personally think the non-premium system sucks. It's all pretty much midrange. I did browse cruthfield at one point and as OP found out, there isn't anything that will fit stock. Meant to stop by one of the local audio shops to get their opinion but it's not on a priority list. Didn't know there was an amp under the seat. Good find.
Will follow this to see if anyone found a solution,
Idk if youll see this but you are wrong my good yet uneducated friend. You just have to discover it.
Your Harmonic Acoustic system, as its called, is said to be better by many audiophiles....better than the BOSE system believe it or not.
This is not a "stock" stereo. The kind that's a crappy afterthought.
They put so much thought into its development, you wouldn't believe it. It has an amplifier under the passenger seat.
The 8 speakers are designed and made specifically for the system by Pioneer.
There are two subwoofers in the front cowls and the bass is so good that after I put in an 8" sub I couldn't tell the difference from the 8" sub and the front subs, until I tweaked it further.
The floor mats are part of it. Yes they recommend not replacing anything cos it would disrupt the system.
It also has a 13 band equalizer that's badass. Go to settings, sound setting, audio, pick advanced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, Im from Mexico and I´m decided to upgrade the system audio.. you have talked about the complex but I has investigated and finally I could get an answer that could be fitted or addapted.... the models are Morel virtus nano 602 or 603, or also the Morel CDM880... check this out on web in order you can see the stats from these components...about the signals from stereo the solution is to install a DSP, I already have a Helix mini so this will be installed to provide full range for all speekers and arrange a good setup... I had an audi with morel speakers 6.5 and the sound was so great but I have to change the car but now I'm not able to use the same speakres so I would only re-use the dsp and amp and buy the speakers.. will be a long process but I will provide some photos. about the woofers in the fron cowls they will kept, they will be only amplified and configured in the correct frequency to avoyd distortions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Yall--I have a 2020 CX-30 Select.

Long story short, I want to upgrade the speakers and add in a sub to my car. However, the Crutchfield rep said that [1] the speaker sizes are so small, there are no good aftermarket solutions, and [2] that the base audio system will not transmit a full frequency to aftermarket speakers--so the new speakers would only pick up bass.

I want to know if any of you non-Bose-system havers have had success upgrading from the horrendous base audio system. Please say someone here has!

Also--thoughts on just adding a sub with the base system?

Thanks!
- BT
Hey iam thinking of doing the same with my cx30 2021. I know that there's an upgrade boss in the front dash, that the dealership said it will be a pain. I took it when he said that it's $$$$ and my not be a sold dash. But I'm thinking of doing the back in the spare is..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts