Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

USB Hub?

9K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Scotty73 
#1 ·
I’ve just changed car from a Toyota CH-R Hybrid to a CX-30.
my old car only had one USB port so I fitted a 4 port USB hub so I could charge my phone and have a USB stick for music. It worked well.
When I plug the hub in the screen displays a message saying the hub is not compatibl. I know there is another port but is there a hub that is compatible?

#2 ·
No adding a hub will not work, but both USB ports will play music and video (video only when parked) I tend to use the centre console port for phone charging and access to Android Auto playing music via my phone using the VLC app.
I have paid for the VLC pro version app with various sound add ons, this enables some superb sound tweaks via Android Auto and utilises the Bose system very well.

I have also discovered that all my MP3 files will play along with playlists by using Android Auto, the Mazda Connect system only loads about 1200 files after spending an age reading the USB stick. Strangely it reads and plays all the video files without any problems which is strange as the files are much larger.

I have tried various USB sticks type 2 and 3 in 32, 64 and 128GB formats, tried a stick without video files, just MP3 but it still refuses to read more than around 1200 MP3 files, frankly I have given up as I feel there is a firmware bug even on version 1049. So at the moment I am sticking to my phone via Android Auto, this way all the MP3 files play.

#3 ·
No adding a hub will not work, but both USB ports will play music and video (video only when parked) I tend to use the centre console port for phone charging and access to Android Auto playing music via my phone using the VLC app.
I have paid for the VLC pro version app with various sound add ons, this enables some superb sound tweaks via Android Auto and utilises the Bose system very well.

I have also discovered that all my MP3 files will play along with playlists by using Android Auto, the Mazda Connect system only loads about 1200 files after spending an age reading the USB stick. Strangely it reads and plays all the video files without any problems which is strange as the files are much larger.

I have tried various USB sticks type 2 and 3 in 32, 64 and 128GB formats, tried a stick without video files, just MP3 but it still refuses to read more than around 1200 MP3 files, frankly I have given up as I feel there is a firmware bug even on version 1049. So at the moment I am sticking to my phone via Android Auto, this way all the MP3 files play.
I'm not trying to be contradictory but I have a 128GB stick (USB2 - it seems like I had trouble using USB3, I can't remember now) that has around 5,000 mp3 files and have had no problem finding or playing any of them. On the stick's top layer are folders for each letter of the alphabet plus one for numbers. Inside those folders are more folders by artist name. Inside each artist folder there are folders for their respective albums. Nothing is more than 3 folders deep. Possibly you have all of your MP3 files on the top layer (not in a folder) or all in just one folder? That could be why you're having the 1200 file problem.

#4 ·
from the connect manual:

"The maximum number of playable files on a single USB device is 9999 files. In
addition, the maximum number of playable files for a single folder is 255 files."

#5 ·
Thank you for the advise, I will reformat the stick and add more folders hopefully this should work. I am confused as I have used the same USB stick in my CX5 in exactly the same format which the CX30 will not read correctly.

My car arrived without any manuals for the Connect System and how it works, so I assumed it would be similar to my CX5, I will try and find a source to download the latest manual, no doubt is is called Connect 2. Thanks for your response.

#7 ·
I downloaded the user manual for the entertainment and nav system. It's a shame Mazda doesn't include the info.

The reason I did the alphabetical folders is because it makes it much easier when browsing the folder system. In my F150 I had all the artist folders on the top layer of the USB stick. But since I have to use the wheel to navigate I was having to spin way too much to go up/down the folder list. This way I can just go to the letter I'm wanting then go into that folder to find the artist folder. Much less spinning.

Something I've noticed and don't like about the way Mazda's file player works is it doesn't play album files in the correct order as they are on the actual album/CD. If you navigate to the actual album's folder it will play them in the correct order - it plays them in alphabetical order. BUT! The player doesn't display the title of an individual song by the embedded info - it displays file name as the song title. To get them to play in the correct order (if it matters to you) I added the track numbers to the front of the file name. Since there are an infinite number of players that can handle this without a problem why can't Mazda do it too??? Frustrating. Maybe I'm just too damned O/C.

#8 ·
Well, you have all been a great help. I have formatted the USB stick with folders containing 250 or less and everything is now working as it should be. There seems to be a lot of work involved when the same stick played fine on my previous Cars: Skoda Yeti, Nissan Qashqai and my last car the Mazda CX5. All played the 5990 mp3's perfectly from a single folder instantly.

It seems a backward step on this supposedly improved Connect system and it's strange that no where have I seen any details of how to set up the USB stick. Thankfully, it is guys on here prove how worthwhile Forums are and often better to turn to than "so called experts" at the dealers.

#12 ·
this is where it is on mine:

#14 ·
How is the average person supposed to know this? The dealership where I bought my car; I told the truth on my survey, which they probably hated. They were "okay", nothing extra or better than any other average dealership. This is my Information screen - SiriusXM Travel Link is great FOR FREE - I wouldn't pay for it so that menu is useless since my free 90 days expired.

#15 ·
Sadly, most of the UK dealers have little knowledge of this car and how some things work. Take a look at the emergency button near the front overhead lights. If it is flashing red and green continually it has not been set during P.D.I. and needs activating.

I discovered this on Mazda Car Gurus (UK) and how to set it. Mine was not set neither were the two cars the dealer loaned me whilst in for battery problems, I mentioned it to the service manager and they knew nothing about it. I also pointed out that my car arrived with over 46psi in all the tyres, no water in the screen wash reservoir and much protective film still left on interior plastic parts......So much for P.D.I. examinations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.