Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GS AWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :

My father bought a 2021 a few months ago so I ripped his CDs and copied the tracks over to a USB key for the car. Now that he has been using it for a few weeks, he is complaning that some tracks repeat multiple times before eventually playing something different. I thought I'd check with other owners in case this was a know issue.

Could I check the Mazda Connect (or is it Gracenote) firmware version? The car might not have the latest.

Many thanks!
Pab

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
270 Posts
I use a USB stick from my collection and my CX-30 plays the tracks fine. Mind you I am a bit fastidious about tagging the tracks and building the folder structure on the USB stick.

The folder structure I use is Artist\Album\00 - Track.mp3 where 00 - Track sets the track number and the track title together.
For tagging, I supply my own artwork embedded in the track file and I ensure artist, album, track, track ID etc. are all set. I use MP3TAG to sort all this out.

The CX-30 has some idiosyncrasies regarding setting up repeats anyway. The settings aren't clear in the player.

·
Registered
CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
78 Posts
The CX-30 has the worst music player I've worked with by the way it handles the files on the USB stick - plus I can't quite figure out the shuffle mode that is the top icon on the player controls screen - there appears to be three different icons that you cycle thru but they don't work as expected for me. Otherwise I do a similar method to the file order as mentioned in the two previous posts. I have added a layer to mine - the top layer, I have a folder for each letter of the alphabet to sort by artist name. That helps to keep the scrolling down when initially hunting thru folders. I have one addition folder labeled "#" for artists that begin with a number. (10,000 Maniacs, 21 Pilots, etc... :)) Since music players are not a new technology I can't figure out why this one from Mazda is so bad...to me it's about the worst feature of the car.

·
Registered
2021 GS AWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. From memory, I think I roughly followed the same directory structure, but likely did not name the files with a track number. I'll try that along with having a look at the meta-data with MP3TAG. Thanks!

I think I tend to agree with you SC. I didn't find it all that intuitive. Hopefully, I can sort out the repeating tracks issue. Luckily, he doesn't really need to touch anything now. Starts the car & Tunes start playing = Happy father. :)

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
660 Posts
I use the two USB slots with a flash drive with my music in each one (just keep a certain genre or files on each one for reference). I use MusicBee to transfer my files to my flash drives as needed, or just drag and drop.
Artist / album name / file name is track number followed by track name. You have various selections as to how you want your music played. Haven't notice much in repeats which will depend on how large the folder is you've selected and what controls you've picked.
Because it is not touch it does take a bit of getting used to but after a while it makes a lot of sense (you can just do it by feel) and is quite simple to use, also your screen stays clean.

Reactions: savcom

·
Registered
2021 GS AWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@conwelpic : His model only seems to have the one USB port. I will have a look at the looping and random settings and ensure they are dissabled. That will at least help with keeping things consistent if further troubleshooting is required.

For tagging, I supply my own artwork embedded in the track file and I ensure artist, album, track, track ID etc. are all set. I use MP3TAG to sort all this out.
A few follow-up questions if I may...

By track ID, I assume you mean the track's number (within the album)?

After a making a few modifications in MP3TAG, I just noticed that not all files are using the same ID3 tag format. Some are reporting "ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3)" (I believe these are files I have already updated with MP3ID3) and others "ID3v2.2 (ID3v2.2)" and still others "ID3v2.3 (ID3v2.3)". I find this odd as I ripped all the CDs with iTunes. I would have expected some consistency.

Here is now MP3TAG is configured.

Usually, I would pick the latest format, but I must assume that MP3TAG has chosen these defaults for a reason (perhaps 2.4 not yet wide spread). Can you confirm which options you're using? I think it would be wise for me to use the same format known to work properly with Mazda's iConnect. I intend to update all the files to the same format.

I haven't tried it yet, but I see that ID3TAG and generate playlist files. Does iConnect support them?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2021 GS AWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did forget to mention one things though. Per an post or article I read, I did put the recommended folder structure within a single top level folder named Music2. Apparently, iConnect doesn't always recognize when some files have changed so renaming this top level folder (e.g. Music3) following changes forces a rescan.

·
Registered
CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
78 Posts
I did forget to mention one things though. Per an post or article I read, I did put the recommended folder structure within a single top level folder named Music2. Apparently, iConnect doesn't always recognize when some files have changed so renaming this top level folder (e.g. Music3) following changes forces a rescan.
Changing the name of the USB stick/drive/key will have the same affect.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
660 Posts
@conwelpic : His model only seems to have the one USB port. I will have a look at the looping and random settings and ensure they are disabled. That will at least help with keeping things consistent if further troubleshooting is required.
Thanks again!
the other USB port is in the console:

Reactions: savcom

·
Administrator
270 Posts
A few follow-up questions if I may...

By track ID, I assume you mean the track's number (within the album)?
Yes, that's right. If you're considering MP3TAG then the format for naming the file from the tags that I use is as follows:

Code:
%artist%\%album%\$num(%track%,2) - %title%
After a making a few modifications in MP3TAG, I just noticed that not all files are using the same ID3 tag format. Some are reporting "ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3)" (I believe these are files I have already updated with MP3ID3) and others "ID3v2.2 (ID3v2.2)" and still others "ID3v2.3 (ID3v2.3)". I find this odd as I ripped all the CDs with iTunes. I would have expected some consistency.
I can't comment on iTunes as I don't use it. It doesn't really matter how you do it, but if I'm ripping CDs or vinyl I use FooBar2000 or Audacity - the MP3 encoder in both is LAME. I try to rip to MP3 320kbps CBR or VBR (if I have to) with with no tags and I tag separately (yes it takes longer but it's done once and I want it done right). For disc details I use freedb, last.fm if I'm scrobbling, or discogs, Wikipedia or similar as a source of tracks / album details. MP3TAG then sorts the tracks as I want them and I place them in a folder structure on a server with redundant disks. I have a collection of some 28,000 tracks / 2,000 albums/collections.

My MP3TAG is configured:

I've not tried playlists - I normally listen to 'albums'. If I want a selection I'll usually copy off a sequence of tracks and re-tag. Bit old-school, but some of my files are still in an older file format and they are not in a consistent enough file format to be able to generate playlists. Once I've consolidated the files I'll try these out.

Hope that helps you.

Martin

Reactions: mattleics

·
Registered
2021 GS AWD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought I'd circle back on this with an update. Looks like the effort was worth it. My father reports that the repeating since my cleanup following your various suggestions. I just wanted to thank you all again!

·
Administrator
270 Posts
I thought I'd circle back on this with an update. Looks like the effort was worth it. My father reports that the repeating since my cleanup following your various suggestions. I just wanted to thank you all again!
Glad to hear it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts