Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 2.5 S PF AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had an issue with their USB ports not functioning after starting the car up?

I’ll have my phone plugged into the USB port usually in the console working fine with Apple CarPlay. Make a quick stop to run into a store or pump gas and shut the vehicle down. When I start it back up I get nothing from the USB, no CarPlay or charging. This morning I made a couple of stops and lost both USB ports. After parking for a few hours everything usually comes back.

What’s going on here? Is it just me?

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
829 Posts
Hi

Let's start by getting you to fill in your vehicle details and location. This helps us help you resolve any issues with the car - especially if it's an issue with one model or another. I've sent you a PM explaining how to do this.

I have to say I do not get the USB not responding after restarting the engine. The USB ports do switch off when the car is switched off and on my model they do switch on again afterwards and the phone (a Samsung in my case) goes straight to recharging. What happens to you if you disconnect and reconnect your phone after starting the car?

·
Registered
2021 2.5 S PF AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey.
Updated that info, thanks.
It’s a 2021 2.5 AWD, USA Model.

Unplugging and plugging back in doesn’t resolve the the issue. I thought it was possibly the cable, but still happened after a cable switch. Usually I just move the phone from the center console to the usb under the air con controls. Today was the first time it happened to both USB ports.

It’s one of those inconveniences that really bother me in the moment and I quickly forget about until the next time it happens.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same problem here. Brand new 2021 CX30 Turbo Premium Plus. Had it for exactly 6 days. On the first day I had it, it worked fine from the dealer. Picked up my wife, tried to show off the CarPlay system, and boom...neither port would connect. I figured it must be my cable, so we took a trip to get a certified OEM Lightning cable for my iPhone. I plugged it in and it worked fine.

Fast forward to tonight - six days later - no issues at all over the past week. Drove to the gym, Apple Carplay worked fine with my iPhone 12 Pro Max. Returned from the gym 90 minutes later, dash USB port was totally dead. I have a second, different cable connected to the console USB port, so I tried that, and it connects for 5 seconds, then disconnects, reconnects for 5 seconds, then disconnects...over and over. The infotainment system dutifully reported that it could not connect to CarPlay. Obviously.

So I swapped cables in the two USB ports just to see if that made any difference. There was no change. The dash port was still dead, the console port connected/disconnected, it did not matter which cable. I am beyond frustrated, as having a car with a functioning CarPlay system was one of the main reasons for the upgrade.

It's late, though, and I'm going to bed, don't have time to troubleshoot this any further tonight. I would not be surprised if things worked just fine in the morning...but I'll remain a very frustrated new CX-30 owner unless I can figure out what is causing this. Will update in this forum as soon as I have a fix.

Something definitely seems wrong with the car's USB ports, though.

·
Registered
2021 2.5 S PF AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few weeks after I posted my issue with the USB ports I took my CX-30 to the dealership for the first service due at three months. I totally spaced on the USBs and forgot to mention the problem when I dropped it off. In my defense it was a 7:00am appointment. I’m not sure what they did or what the issue was but they’ve been working fine since. Still using the same cable. I’d give the service center at the dealership a call.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, I just came back to update as promised. The next morning I started the car and plugged into the system without problem and it’s been working for five days without a single incident.

what on earth would cause it to malfunction and what would cause it to correct itself? The mystery remains…

·
Registered
Mazda CX30 SP 2021
119 Posts
I dont know it will help or not but can try.
I have this car for a month now and kind of having the same issue.
In my case i have no problem with the car charging my phone but cannot recognize or connect to car like to use carplay or else.
I unplugged and pluged few times.. then i noticed that its about the cable. Im using a nornal usb cable bought from a random shop.
It seems to me that the cable has some issues when i move the phone from here to there..
I bought one really expensive good looking cable.. and using it for 2 days now without any problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I dont know it will help or not but can try.
I have this car for a month now and kind of having the same issue.
In my case i have no problem with the car charging my phone but cannot recognize or connect to car like to use carplay or else.
I unplugged and pluged few times.. then i noticed that its about the cable. Im using a nornal usb cable bought from a random shop.
It seems to me that the cable has some issues when i move the phone from here to there..
I bought one really expensive good looking cable.. and using it for 2 days now without any problem.
Thanks, but that much is obvious, and the first thing we did was replace the cable. As stated, we purchased a brand new one and neither would work last week.

However, the very next day, everything starting working fine and I've had no issues over the last 5 days...as I'm sure it'll happen again, I'll keep updating this thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm following the thread because as a brand-new CX30 owner I'm having the same issue as of this morning. Worked fine pulling into the gas station, pulling out it was dead. Swapped cables, plugged and unplugged, turned off and restarted both the phone and the car. Bupkis.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm following the thread because as a brand-new CX30 owner I'm having the same issue as of this morning. Worked fine pulling into the gas station, pulling out it was dead. Swapped cables, plugged and unplugged, turned off and restarted both the phone and the car. Bupkis.
sorry to hear it. Only hope I can offer is that something glitches with the software and the car seems to need to rest a bit before it resets.

as I mentioned, mine was dead and I drove it home angry. The next morning it was working fine amd I haven’t had a problem since.

Question for you: did you plug in two phones at any point in the day?

I suspect that had something to do with my issue. I think having two phones plugged into the two USB ports overwhelms the electrical system.
I removed one cable so now I only have a single way to plug in.
Haven’t had any issues with it since I posted last time.
I’d love to hear more about your experience though because I want to understand the problem a bit more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Question for you: did you plug in two phones at any point in the day?
I didn't--It was just the one port with only my phone (ever). When I left work yesterday it was working again, so, like other folks have posted here, it's intermittent. The only thing that I can think of that I did that might be different than usual was I left the phone plugged into the car when I turned it off. I got out to pump gas and when I jumped back in it wasn't able to connect. But on my attempts to get it plugged back in I definitely restarted the car without a connection to the phone, so even if that was the cause, it wasn't the fix.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Weird. It almost sounds like a software bug. If it was a fuse, it doesn't make sense to me that it resets itself. It seems that the problem finds a way to correct itself when shut off for a longer duration of time, so the question we need to figure out is what specifically seems to fix this issue, and can we force it to happen sooner than waiting overnight.

I've heard there are ways to reboot the infotainment system but I wasn't able to find the right combination of buttons to initiate that procedure. And since my system is currently working flawlessly, I've not needed to test it anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The other element to this that I don't think I mentioned is that it's not just the data flow/carplay that's not working--the port wasn't delivering a charge to the phone either. Don't know if that deepens the mystery or sheds any light...

·
Registered
16 Posts
That is consistent with my experience. The USB port is the issue, not CarPlay.

Somehow, something causes it to not connect at all. No power and certainly no data from phone to car.
One interesting item I may have failed to note in my situation was that the dashboard USB was completely dead. But the console USB would connect for a few seconds, start powering the phone, and even trigger the green CarPlay prompt on the infotainment screen.
But after after only a few seconds it would say “CarPlay unavailable” or “unable to connect” or something and immediately go dead for a few seconds. Then it would reset and power the phone for a few seconds before dying again. Over and over.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS 2.5L, Luxury Package, Soul Red Crystal
172 Posts
For what its worth, my dash USB port goes on/off intermittently. ie... when I go over bumps the phone disconnects.

Dealer is aware and is going to fix it as soon as parts are available.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK, had a similar experience to my original "dead USB ports" experience today - nearly a month after the first encounter. I don't know what caused it to happen this time, but at least this time there was a simple solution to the problem.

First, a detailed recap: Got in the car, plugged in the iPhone as I always do, and started the car. Sometimes I'll do the start and plugin sequence differently, I'm not consistent - for example, sometimes I start the car first and then plug in the phone. I'm not sure if it makes a difference.

Anyway, as I put the car into gear, I noticed CarPlay wasn't coming up and after checking the phone, sure enough, it wasn't getting charged by the USB. Since I was already driving and only going a mile or two, I decided to look into it when I arrived at my destination.

First thing I did was pick up my iPhone, which had a message at the top that I needed to "Unlock my iPhone" in order to use the...and then the message was gone before I could even finish reading it because FaceID automatically unlocked the phone for me.

That solved the problem though, as my iPhone instantly connected to my USB port, started charging, and CarPlay became available.

That said, I'm not convinced this was the original problem I experienced when I first posted about this last month. As I recall, I was actually using my iPhone in my car searching for a solution the first time, so it would have necessarily been "unlocked" and yet it still wasn't connecting.

Happy to report that I haven't experienced anything quite like that in over a month though. I'll post more as I investigate this frustrating and inconsistent issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2021 cx30 my usb in the dash console doesn’t charge my phone at all. I plug it into the middle console usb and it instantly turns on and starts charging. I mentioned this to my dealer and they said I should be using an authentic Apple cable. So I have a new one. Still no charging. The one in the Centre console is using an an old generic cable and works great. Something is seriously wrong. I do notice my CarPlay connection gets dropped if I take and finish a hands free phone call. It does nothing. It doesn’t go back to my music. It’s just silent. When I take it I for it’s next service I will mention it as well as ask for a car play update. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2021 cx30 my usb in the dash console doesn’t charge my phone at all. I plug it into the middle console usb and it instantly turns on and starts charging. I mentioned this to my dealer and they said I should be using an authentic Apple cable. So I have a new one. Still no charging. The one in the Centre console is using an an old generic cable and works great. Something is seriously wrong. I do notice my CarPlay connection gets dropped if I take and finish a hands free phone call. It does nothing. It doesn’t go back to my music. It’s just silent. When I take it I for it’s next service I will mention it as well as ask for a car play update. Fingers crossed.
Please keep us posted. I think the main reason for using a genuine Apple cable is just to reduce the chance that the cable itself could be the issue. Obviously non-Apple cables can work, but their failure rates are almost certainly some percentage higher than Apple's own.

As you'll see below, in a pinch I used a non-authentic lightning cable when I couldn't find anything else and it actually fixed the issue:

About a month ago, I had someone else ride in my car on a trip and his phone was plugged into my CarPlay. It worked fine. But after parking and shutting down the car for the night, when I returned the next day, my own phone just would not connect no matter what. I drove two hours with this issue. The Mazda default infotainment system would connect via bluetooth, so I used that for music and was forced to rely on the crappy Mazda nav system which is a truly awful experience when listening to the audio from your phone (Mazda's nav instructions just step on the audio, rather than pausing it) compared to Apple or Google maps.

Anyway, I finally got fed up with trying to get it to work, so I pulled over at a gas station and bought a cheap lightning cable. That fixed the issue... I've been using the non-Apple lightning cable for a month now with zero issues.

I just wanted to get this posted because it's the second time I've experienced a failure that could be related to plugging in a different phone than the car expects. It may be totally unrelated, and the failures could be random or just coincidental, but CarPlay and/or USB lightning connection failures in this Mazda are really frustrating.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.