Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GT Polymetal Gray
73 Posts
I was under the impression that the JDM CX-30 tire size is 235/50x18 on some variants. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 Premium Hatch polymetal gray over red/blk
226 Posts
I doubt it. If they were to offer bigger tires on any variant, it would be the turbo, but it gets the same size as lesser powered versions.

Near as I can tell, the Japanese Mazda web site lists the XL as the top trim, which comes with the sky x engine and the 215 tires. Apparently, like other markets where the x option appears, no turbo alternative is offered.

I am open to correction.

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
725 Posts
No Turbo option here in the UK, more's the pity.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo Premium
12 Posts
I increased tire pressure by a couple PSI - 40 front and 38 rear. A slightly stiffer ride doesn't bother me, so I'll take that tradeoff in return for improved handling and mileage.

·
Registered
98 Posts
EXCESSIVE TIRE PRESSURE is magnified by hitting pot holes causing tires to crack between the tread blocks.
Tires need to share some of the suspension,
placing excessive load on the springs and steering joints is not good.
Good road holding requires a reasonable tire patch on the road
high tire pressure cause premature werar .

CX3 2 ltr 215 /50/18 tires .

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo Premium
12 Posts
It's not "excessive" to go 2psi over recommended. It's just slightly stiffening the sidewalls. (Turbo models recommend 38 front/36 rear).

Recommended is essentially a minimum - I would never run tires below recommended pressure, because underinflated tires build up heat, and heat is what kills tires the fastest.

·
Registered
98 Posts
There was no mention of turbo in previouse conversations recently?
I have never been in favour of turbo charged engines that being the reason for our 2 ltr.
Pay your money and take your chances I guess that goes for every thing theses days.
As tires heat up 2 lbs over becomes 6 lbs over.
As I have said many times tire pressure is dependant on seasonal changes with tempreture fluctuations.
I seriousely doubt if anyone owning a CX3 and a member of this forum operates their vehicle with less than optimal tire pressure.

CX3 2 ltr

·
Registered
226 Posts
There was no mention of turbo in previouse conversations recently?
I have never been in favour of turbo charged engines that being the reason for our 2 ltr.
Pay your money and take your chances I guess that goes for every thing theses days.
As tires heat up 2 lbs over becomes 6 lbs over.
As I have said many times tire pressure is dependant on seasonal changes with tempreture fluctuations.
I seriousely doubt if anyone owning a CX3 and a member of this forum operates their vehicle with less than optimal tire pressure.

CX3 2 ltr
You keep referencing a CX3 as though that is your car. Is that right or are you confusing CX 3 with CX 30?
There is no such thing as a single optimal tire pressure. It depends on the priorities of the manufacturer vs the user. There is the factory recommended if that is what you mean but I consider those are advised to optimize fuel mileage and tire life with ride and handling secondary considerations. They must consider the most adverse conditions such as a fully loaded vehicle traveling at prolonged high speeds on hot asphalt. Heading off to home depot alone over rural potholed roads to fetch a paint brush is the more likely scenario for me.

This is not a well balanced rear drive car such as a BMW 3 series. There is no sound performance or engineering reason for recommending the same amount of pressure front and rear when the fronts carry most of weight and do most of the work.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is not a well balanced rear drive car such as a BMW 3 series. There is no sound performance or engineering reason for recommending the same amount of pressure front and rear when the fronts carry most of weight and do most of the work.
Tire pressure is calculated based on gross axle weight. And a tire size (volume) is chosen so that an optimal inflation with enough room to maximum inflation when the tire gets hot, and edge out slightly better fuel economy.

Smaller tire volume means higher pressure, and a larger tire volume would result in a lower pressure.

I find 215/55 x 18 a bit narrow for the CX-30 when you consider the smaller CX-3 has 215/50 x 18 on the higher trim levels.

And if you never approach gross vehicle weight (rear seat passengers and cargo) you can drop the rear pressure by a couple of PSI safely.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You keep referencing a CX3 as though that is your car. Is that right or are you confusing CX 3 with CX 30?
There is no such thing as a single optimal tire pressure. It depends on the priorities of the manufacturer vs the user. There is the factory recommended if that is what you mean but I consider those are advised to optimize fuel mileage and tire life with ride and handling secondary considerations. They must consider the most adverse conditions such as a fully loaded vehicle traveling at prolonged high speeds on hot asphalt. Heading off to home depot alone over rural potholed roads to fetch a paint brush is the more likely scenario for me.

MAZNUT.
I noticed that i did mix the two cars up you are very observant in one of my posts .
some time you have to let the sleeping BULL DOG dog sleep.

i did mention setting tire pressure at 34 all round ,from there as a base pressure ,you could inflate higher or lower depending current situations, as you pointed out.
My thought isthere is a need to start from some where.
by the way i did have a sisable deposit on a CX30 back in early january 2021 :::::::::: i think the car got sold twice we lost out.
I hand no intensions in selling the CX3 until.
i did than when we sold our jeep to buy the CX3
Mat be , its call covering your bets ,does that sould a bit odd ?
I some time wonder if this tire pressure thing is confusing preople rather than help.
CX 3

·
Registered
226 Posts

MAZNUT.
I noticed that i did mix the two cars up you are very observant in one of my posts .
some time you have to let the sleeping BULL DOG dog sleep.

i did mention setting tire pressure at 34 all round ,from there as a base pressure ,you could inflate higher or lower depending current situations, as you pointed out.
My thought isthere is a need to start from some where.
by the way i did have a sisable deposit on a CX30 back in early january 2021 :::::::::: i think the car got sold twice we lost out.
I hand no intensions in selling the CX3 until.
i did than when we sold our jeep to buy the CX3
Mat be , its call covering your bets ,does that sould a bit odd ?
I some time wonder if this tire pressure thing is confusing preople rather than help.
CX 3
Yes, It's amazing how strongly opinionated and dogmatic some people are ( like me) concerning proper tire pressure.
We're just passing the time. I don't think most of us here take ourselves too seriously to think we have all the correct answers.

The octane thing, the tire pressure thing, the turbo or no turbo thing. The tire and wheel size thing. The lower or not to lower thing. Just stuff for discussion with no possibility of resolution but the forum would dry up if there were no controversy. It would be dull, dull, duller.

I

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes, It's amazing how strongly opinionated and dogmatic some people are ( like me) concerning proper tire pressure.
We're just passing the time. I don't think most of us here take ourselves too seriously to think we have all the correct answers.

The octane thing, the tire pressure thing, the turbo or no turbo thing. The tire and wheel size thing. The lower or not to lower thing. Just stuff for discussion with no possibility of resolution but the forum would dry up if there were no controversy. It would be dull, dull, duller.
MAZNUT

I have removed the CX30 APP from my sided bar this will the avoid any further confusion and there will be no further comments from me on the CX30 forum.

·
Registered
98 Posts
How did you know the shocks were siezed ?
First of all I am not a car mechanic so all I can do is compare my car with others.
The situaton is not instaniouse, the problem is progressive, and deterioats over a period of time.
This type of problem is not easily dectable as the ride was not that which I had ecperianced in other cars .
Normaly the ride in a Mazda CX3 is firm as it is some what of a performance vehicle .
The car is a drivers car.
The best way a laman can describe the ride it was not comfortable , this is what I told the garage who told me "let our mechanic test the car " the desk clerk was tight lipped , he blamed it on our poor quality roads i took that as his best true excuse.
I was not a happy camper.
My 3 year waranty would end in two weeks i did not want to let that time frame pass.
The covid 19 did not help matters at all in getting my service apointment i assumued the parts would need to be imported.
The problem happened at 15,000 K +/- It is normal for shocks to last for. 80,000 K / 50,000 miles the waranty would be long gone.
On wikipedia I looked up car shochs to find out what they do, to find that shocks take the bounce and recoil shock from springs under load .
The car is not in a dance competition.
May I add that faulty shocks is not normal , nothing last for ever,I do not know if Mazda shocks are gas or oil fillied . I am not blaming mazda who honoured the waranty.
To all of you, please / please do not beat up on Mazda there are a good company who build good cars .

MAZDA. CX3 .Soul Red. 6 gear auto . 2 ltr .
BERMUDA

·
Registered
98 Posts
HOW DID YOU KNOW THE SHOCKS WERE SIEZED P

Part 2
Did you know tha some car manufactures buy parts from other car manufactures
Many parts come from all over the globe including brake pads spark plugs.

I omitted to say the the my car has had :-

[1] No modifications.
[2] No change to O.E.M tires or wheels.
{3] Tire pressures are constantly moninitored.
[4] No front end collisions
[5] Some pot hole misadventures

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5S Crystal Blue Mica
102 Posts
HOW DID YOU KNOW THE SHOCKS WERE SIEZED P

Part 2
Did you know tha some car manufactures buy parts from other car manufactures
Many parts come from all over the globe including brake pads spark plugs.

I omitted to say the the my car has had :-

[1] No modifications.
[2] No change to O.E.M tires or wheels.
{3] Tire pressures are constantly moninitored.
[4] No front end collisions
[5] Some pot hole misadventures
California freeways are one big pothole .... too much welfare and not enough to fix roads

·
Registered
98 Posts
Me CaliJoe.
With respect to front shocks i do not know if Mazda has oil or gas filled shocks , as a second guess i would think oil .
The word seize is the best i could come up with as the dealer here is covering his aces.
it could have been a on e off issue here.
We have, the same bad road problem here in Bermuda.
I grew up in the days of horse and cart the roads consequently have no foundation.
We have nany pot holes .
I think the Gov is using that to curbe the patrons of speed.
just imagine coming home after a trying day at work you buy a quart of milk by the time you get home you have cottage cheese.
Your CX 30 may i say a very good looking car.
I think has a 55 profile tires and posiblty softer suspension ,so you may have a different ride quality than the CX3.
Never the less i would recomend a reduction in speed for your vehicle to save your rims.
By the way I had a sizable deposit on a CX30 back in January of this year so i got on the 30 forum to learn more
The ordering and sales back fired or did no go so well we lost out.
I am sort of glad in one sence that we hung on the the CX3 til the fish was in the boat
My father said never fire of all your amunition all at once.

CX 3 Soul Red 2 ltr 6 gear Auto. Teflon coated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
CAR SUSPENSION.
I would like for every one who is interested to go on line to" Wikipedia car suspension" where you wil be able to read in depth articles on car suspension.

CX3 SOUL RED
BERMUDA

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5S Crystal Blue Mica
102 Posts
I find it interesting that my car system registers higher tire pressure with cold tires (40 psi) than after operation which brings these warm tires down to 36 psi ... what gives ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Good tires with excellent heat dissipation :cool:

it would be interesting to see if this is consistent, like overnight if the pressure goes back up…or whether this is a sign of a slow leak

21 - 40 of 59 Posts