Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
CX-30 GT - 2.5 L AWD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very happy and impressed with my ride last night.
Going out of town we were caught in the middle of a rain/hail storm. Visibility at times were no more than three car lengths. AWD system worked flawlessly and I felt very safe. The safety and forward collision systems were disabled a few times. This was due to sensor/camera inability to accurately calculate distance and low visibility.

Luckily the hail was not bigger than dime size so no damage, but a lot of vehicles were pulling over from time to time.
One very happy CX-30 owner🙂

·
Registered
AWD GT CX-30 ceramic coated
336 Posts
I can honestly agree that the AWD system is by far one of the best .. its so smart and is enguaged before wheelslip ever happens.. I came from a Nissan qashqai and the awd system is terrible compared to what mazda has with their predicative i-activ system.. the Nissan i could feel the wheel slip and cornering was terrible and the CX-30 i got mine in febuary and we had one final bad snow strom and right away I could just feel the vehicle had allot more control :) BTW glad you made it safe and no damage to your CX-30 :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm actually looking forward to snow this winter.
I really am as well 🙂 bought a set of winter tires and winter rims for nine from my dealership for $1200 they cut me really good deal and basically have me the tires at their cost as iv been with the Nissan side of the dealership for years before I got Into Mazda and worked for them before and left of really good terms

·
Registered
CX-30 GT - 2.5 L AWD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update about the AWD.

Visited a local Oval dirt track race on the weekend. They had a downpour earlier in the day and the dirt parking area was very muddy. The guy at the gate looked at my vehicle and he advised me that I might get stuck. I thanked him for his concern but my inner voice said, there is no way!! Couple of other vehicle got stuck but not mine....the AWD is awesome, even with all season tires. The mud was caked on pretty good but all good👍👍👍

·
Registered
336 Posts
Update about the AWD.

Visited a local Oval dirt track race on the weekend. They had a downpour earlier in the day and the dirt parking area was very muddy. The guy at the gate looked at my vehicle and he advised me that I might get stuck. I thanked him for his concern but my inner voice said, there is no way!! Couple of other vehicle got stuck but not mine....the AWD is awesome, even with all season tires. The mud was caked on pretty good but all good👍👍👍
Did you happen to use the traction assist button and turn it on ? It works very well as I used it on a non plowed street after a snow storm last winter. I'm excited for this winter for snow as I bought a really good set of winter tires so should be awesome this year 😊

·
Registered
CX-30 GT - 2.5 L AWD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried it before but no need this time. Should be great with winter tires...

·
Registered
2020 AWD Select Machine Gray Metallic Mobil 1 0w20
147 Posts
Is the traction assist button you are referring to the off-road button?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sure takes the fun out of driving in the snow, especially if you have winter tires. (Except of course for the fun of making it home safe)

I have Michelin X-Ice3 winter tires and didn’t slip once over the winter.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Select Machine Gray Metallic Mobil 1 0w20
147 Posts
I believe you only use that for a short period of time correct? It's not something you turn on and race around with. I think I read that in the manual.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I believe you only use that for a short period of time correct? It's not something you turn on and race around with. I think I read that in the manual.
yes only for say deep snow and situations like that. As dave coleman of mazda said the traction assit button works by starting the AWD system off in 50/50 power split and the traction control system becomes allot more aggressive as the algorithm changes breaking to stop individual wheel spin vs with it off in a situation you need to say speed away from somthing in a emergency situation most competitors cut power to the wheels so no matter if you floor it or not there wont be enough power and that can be dangerous so with the traction assist system off it actually allows allot more wheel speen in day to day slippery conditions.

Hope this explains how it actually works :) iv watched allot of presentations by him as he is a engineer for north America Mazda. When I had my nissan Rouge sport / qashqai The nissan system was horrible at cutting power all at the wrong time in deep snow when you need to keep moving and it would bring you to a crawling stop with the traction control system if you forgot to specifically shut it off.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sure takes the fun out of driving in the snow, especially if you have winter tires. (Except of course for the fun of making it home safe)

I have Michelin X-Ice3 winter tires and didn’t slip once over the winter.
those are the exact same tires i bought from my dealership and got a incredible price on them at $125 per tire and got winter rims as well which the entire package cost me $1200 with taxes. so i take you recommend these winter tires? how are they in deeper snow and slushy and icy condition's? lets say like freezing rain for example as we get the a fair amount here. LOL btw i went two years on all season tires with awd so this should be a nice handleing improvement tho my rally track racing experience really did come into play with the all season tires in the snow lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
... so i take you recommend these winter tires? ...
While they have been great for me, I always refer people to a source like TireRack where they compile the feedback from multiple customers and their own expert analysis. I recommend winter tires. They add traction necessary on snow and ice that does not come from AWD. AWD helps you go. Winter tires help you go in the direction you want and helps you stop.

I can’t compare the Michelin tires to the other options I have never tried.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts