Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
cx 30 awd premium
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been experiencing vibrations in my car around 45mph. At first I thought it was from the tires. So I went to the local tire shop did some road force testing. They said it was fine except for 1 tire. So they moved that tire to the rear. It did not really help.

So I brought my car to mazda. They said it is because of the the cylinder deactivation and that they need to update the PCM and place some brackets for the radiator?.

Anyways I will be back at mazda this week for those things. Hopefully it fixes the problem. I am really frustrated with the car.

·
Registered
AWD GT CX-30 ceramic coated
327 Posts
So I have been experiencing vibrations in my car around 45mph. At first I thought it was from the tires. So I went to the local tire shop did some road force testing. They said it was fine except for 1 tire. So they moved that tire to the rear. It did not really help.

So I brought my car to mazda. They said it is because of the the cylinder deactivation and that they need to update the PCM and place some brackets for the radiator?.

Anyways I will be back at mazda this week for those things. Hopefully it fixes the problem. I am really frustrated with the car.
I'm sorry to hear you are having th we issues and I hope they are ressolved. As for my CX 30 iv only had so e minor issues that are being ressolved under warranty with one of them being a deffecitve front radar sensor so that is being replaced and they did do a software update to the PCM to address some harsh shifting and rough cylinder deactivation and it's been a month since it's improved things allot and is still Good. Actually I ask them every 2nd or third service to check for software updates and to apply them and my dealership is really good about it especially when I told them my concern with it shifting little harsh at times so I thought I would share my tip in hopes it might help you.

·
Registered
cx 30 awd premium
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry to hear you are having th we issues and I hope they are ressolved. As for my CX 30 iv only had so e minor issues that are being ressolved under warranty with one of them being a deffecitve front radar sensor so that is being replaced and they did do a software update to the PCM to address some harsh shifting and rough cylinder deactivation and it's been a month since it's improved things allot and is still Good. Actually I ask them every 2nd or third service to check for software updates and to apply them and my dealership is really good about it especially when I told them my concern with it shifting little harsh at times so I thought I would share my tip in hopes it might help you.
Thanks for the input, hopefully the PCM update would also fix my issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Yes sir this is becoming a common issue. It's happening on the mazda 3 with the same engine as well. I have the same issue and have had for a year. Almost ready to get rid of it honestly, so I know how frustrated you probably are.

Hoping this TSB solves the issue as mine is pretty bad. Let me know how it goes for you. Here is the forum thread for the mazda 3 (well one of the threads for this)

·
Registered
cx 30 awd premium
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
went to mazda. At first they said that they would do an update, then they decided not to do it. They just replaced some brackets in the radiator. Didnt really solve my issue.

Went for a test drive with a cx 30 without cylinder deactivation i did not feel the vibration i am feeling around 45 mph.

The tech test drove the car with me. He says he barely feels anything. But it does bother me.

They concluded that it is normal and the car is okay. And to just come back if it gets stronger...........

·
Registered
327 Posts
went to mazda. At first they said that they would do an update, then they decided not to do it. They just replaced some brackets in the radiator. Didnt really solve my issue.

Went for a test drive with a cx 30 without cylinder deactivation i did not feel the vibration i am feeling around 45 mph.

The tech test drove the car with me. He says he barely feels anything. But it does bother me.

They concluded that it is normal and the car is okay. And to just come back if it gets stronger...........
I would be a little firm and tell them to apply the software update as its not smooth as my dealersip did the update on mine and i can tell you that is really made things smoother..if they dont want to do it contact mazda head office for USA and tell them the issue and that the dealership refused to apply the PCM software update and they should be able to help if the deslership still dosent want to listen to you. My dealership was very good about it and no question they did it and took me into the shop to show me on the techs laptop while they did it. Here is Contact info for mazda USA
BY PHONE
Monday-Friday
5:00 am - 5:00 pm PST
(800) 222-5500

·
Registered
cx 30 awd premium
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah im planning to contact mazda regarding my issue. Anyways I attached the TSB for vibration.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Exactly like I suspected... Software update... I wish your dealership would stop being so lazy and just do it.

·
Registered
Preferred FWD / Deep Crystal Blue Mica
171 Posts
Cylinder deactivation was the main reason I did not get the premium model, did not want the headaches like this

·
Registered
CX-30 G122 AT Comfort Machine Grey
38 Posts
I would be a little firm and tell them to apply the software update as its not smooth as my dealersip did the update on mine and i can tell you that is really made things smoother..if they dont want to do it contact mazda head office for USA and tell them the issue and that the dealership refused to apply the PCM software update and they should be able to help if the deslership still dosent want to listen to you.
The US TSB mentions specifically the US CX-30 2020 doesn't need a PCM update (NOTE: 2020 CX-30 does not need to be reprogrammed) and only mentions VIN-ranges for the Mazda3 which do. Not much to demand from head office I guess. Dealer is acting accordin to the TSB and if he does perform an PCM update he's not getting reimbursed for that part. But clearly dealer is not interested in customer satisfaction.

In EU there is a TSB for this issue as well (2.0L G only, the 2.0 X doesn't have CD) and mine was also not in a VIN-range requiring PCM update besides the brackets change. Dealer performed an update nevertheless. I am disappointed about the result, vibrations are still very noticeable in my case. Others report on a German forum they are fine with the outcome, so YMMV. Positive is the rader cruise control is working more smoothly now, more gentle with the gas and brakes instead of rather aggressive before.

Be aware that if a PCM update has been performed it doesn't engage in 2cyl mode for a while. Watch the energy flow info screen to see it really goes in cylinder deactivation mode before thinking it is resolved. In my case it took some 75 km and I was really trying to have it enforced.

·
Registered
CX30 GT SPORT. A Road cyclists who drives a CX30 on the odd occasion...
336 Posts
Strange its only on the US MODELS, i'm not having any vibration issues here in the UK, but that may be the fact we only have the 122 g and 180 x engine

·
Registered
cx 30 awd premium
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, i saw that it specifically said the update is not for the cx 30. Hopefully they will relese another tsb for our issues with vibrations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's interesting I have seen about 50/50 as to whether this fix works. I'll be getting mine done shortly so I'll update when I do.

I have an early model 2019 mazda 3 which almost certainly will need the software update along with brackets.

There is rumors that the CD technology will be removed across the whole line of Mazda's for 2021. This would be quite telling on the issue we are having...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Every one loves to complain about American car manufacturers but "other" car manufacturers can be just as stubborn. The CD only adds one mpg. Just give your customers the option of turning off the damn cylinder deactivation. Are you listening, Mazda?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Every one loves to complain about American car manufacturers but "other" car manufacturers can be just as stubborn. The CD only adds one mpg. Just give your customers the option of turning off the damn cylinder deactivation. Are you listening, Mazda?
Oh they are listening.....quietly though. I don't know if you noticed but it appears as if Cylinder Deactivation is being silently scrubbed from their lineup for 2021. It appears to be removed for the Mazda 3 as well as CX-30 unsure of cx5 but I wouldn't be surprised if the whole idea was dropped. Even on the Canadian site where you can "Build a Mazda" you can't choose a car with CD for model year 2020 anymore. Before it always said 2.5 litre blah blah with Cylinder deactivation on the top models and now it just says 2.5 Litre engine. I swear I didn't start having vibrations until I had the CD recall about a year ago. I had driven it for about 10,000 km at that point and never even noticed the cylinder deactivation. After the recall I started to notice the shaking and vibration, driving home from work one day and I was like WTF is that, is my wheel bent?

My theory is they changed some parameters that prevents engine damage, but the side effect is increased torsional vibration and they are trying to resolve that with updated brackets that reduce vibration as well as a supporting software update.

The salesman at the dealership also told me Cylinder Deactivation will not be in the 2021's

Unfortunately that leaves all the people that bought one and have issues to fend for themselves and wait for Mazda to solve an issue it doesn't seem like it can. But ya, I would be satisfied if they put an option in the menu to shut it off like MRCC, even if I had to do it on each start of the car. The most frustrating thing is that it's not across the whole range of cars, some people have never had a problem. I have noticed in the last two months, many more people coming forward with the problem though.

·
Registered
cx 30 awd premium
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah , i saw that they removed the cd on 2021 models, I just hope they can figure a fix for us stuck with it and have problems.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts