Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
How did it go rainier? Did you have the TSB completed?

You know what I find amazing is that all the reviewers I've seen of these cars, there is barely any mention or review of the deactivation system. I've only seen one review that mentions it

·
Registered
cx 30 awd premium
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
So they only did the brackets for me. No updates on the PCM, it improved but I still feel it. But not as bad as before.. but im still hoping if there was an option to just shut it off i will be very happy.

I can only feel it at around 45to 50mph around 1500 rpm.. but when it activates on other speeds/rpms it is smooth even before the tsb.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So they only did the brackets for me. No updates on the PCM, it improved but I still feel it. But not as bad as before.. but im still hoping if there was an option to just shut it off i will be very happy.

I can only feel it at around 45to 50mph around 1500 rpm.. but when it activates on other speeds/rpms it is smooth even before the tsb.
Yea same here. It's improved but still not where I want it to be honest. Just bad at 90 kmh and pretty decent above and below that.

Wonder if we are just sensitive to it, or others really do not feel a thing

The low frequency rumbling is pretty much gone though

·
Registered
AWD GT CX-30 ceramic coated
441 Posts
Iv noticed when it inguages it feels like as if the transmission is shifting into a 7th gear going 100 kmh as the cylinder deactivation feels like a gear shift but on closer inspection in the energy flow monitor it's going into two cylinders as lol I know it's a 6spd transmission 😝

·
Registered
56 Posts
Iv noticed when it inguages it feels like as if the transmission is shifting into a 7th gear going 100 kmh as the cylinder deactivation feels like a gear shift but on closer inspection in the energy flow monitor it's going into two cylinders as lol I know it's a 6spd transmission 😝
Yea the little jump when it shifts is not really bothersome to me. It's the other symptoms that are bothersome

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yea the little jump when it shifts is not really bothersome to me. It's the other symptoms that are bothersome
When this lease is up and I upgrade to the turbo I don't think I'm really going to miss much not having the cylinder deactivation... Tho yes it's not really that bothersome that little bump but the vibrations for sure are a killer till it's fixed.. I know there is a electronically controlled flap in the exhaust that opens and closes depending on the cylinder deactivation on or off status as per what a master technician told me at my dealership.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When this lease is up and I upgrade to the turbo I don't think I'm really going to miss much not having the cylinder deactivation... Tho yes it's not really that bothersome that little bump but the vibrations for sure are a killer till it's fixed.. I know there is a electronically controlled flap in the exhaust that opens and closes depending on the cylinder deactivation on or off status as per what a master technician told me at my dealership.
Yup there is a whole lot of shit going on when it switches back and forth. Anything not in balance even by a millimeter or line of code is going to cause some sort of issue.

Lucky you, turbo is too much here in Canada I can't justify it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yup there is a whole lot of shit going on when it switches back and forth. Anything not in balance even by a millimeter or line of code is going to cause some sort of issue.

Lucky you, turbo is too much here in Canada I can't justify it.
Lol I am in Canada as well and I'm looking forward to the nice HP and tourque bump :) I mean for another 1-2 grand .. that's nothing especially on a lease 🙂 currently paying 520 a month.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just an update on this. It almost seems like the more I drive it, the better the vibration gets. It's pretty weird. There may be a break in period for the bushings or something.

I only feel annoying vibration at very certain conditions now. IE in two cylinders on a perfectly flat road under load in 6th gear at 88kmh to 90 kmh. . If I kick out down to 5th there is literally no vibration whatsoever.

The software also has helped the issue of "getting stuck" in two cylinders in situations where it shouldn't be in two. It used to increase vibration intensity slowly and then finally release into four. Now it just switches when it should.

Now that they have been reduced somewhat, I am confident Mazda can smooth it out even more with a software update in the future. While I would prefer no CD, it's at a point where it is tolerable and not super annoying and frustrating.

I still would love to know why some vehicles do not feel anything and others do (maybe that is just due to personal perception and tolerance)

·
Registered
cx 30 awd premium
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yeah. I have noticed that it did get a little bit better over time. But definitely its there..
Yes when you shift down or put it on sport mode and the rpm.jumps from 1500 to 2500, the ride would smoothen up.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Still goes into two cylinder mode on mine in sport mode ... I just confirmed that today going down the expressway across my city.. wish I could record it but hard to record a video and drive lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Still goes into two cylinder mode on mine in sport mode ... I just confirmed that today going down the expressway across my city.. wish I could record it but hard to record a video and drive lol.
Yup sport mode actually may make it more aggressive if you hold at a certain higher rpm. Seems the prerequisite for it to activate is torque and rpm

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yup sport mode actually may make it more aggressive if you hold at a certain higher rpm. Seems the prerequisite for it to activate is torque and rpm
Hmm interesting.. they did do a pcm software update on mine a little bit ago now and it's made things allot better.. lower speeds in two cylinder mode was not the best and so the software update has seen to have made the cylinder deactivation less aggressive to activate from my observations 🙂 seems to do more so now in the highway into two cylinder mode vs driving through the city it seems to stay in 4 allot more and go into none when coasting which makes more sense.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hmm interesting.. they did do a pcm software update on mine a little bit ago now and it's made things allot better.. lower speeds in two cylinder mode was not the best and so the software update has seen to have made the cylinder deactivation less aggressive to activate from my observations 🙂 seems to do more so now in the highway into two cylinder mode vs driving through the city it seems to stay in 4 allot more and go into none when coasting which makes more sense.
Yea it's less aggressive for me too now in normal drive. But if you put it into sport mode and hold the RPM between 2500 and 3500 in manual mode it will pretty much stay in two cylinders

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah. I have noticed that it did get a little bit better over time. But definitely its there..
Yes when you shift down or put it on sport mode and the rpm.jumps from 1500 to 2500, the ride would smoothen up.
Yea it's still there at certain speeds. The range is much much smaller now though at least for me. I've put about 600 km on it since the mounts and the other day I was driving in what used to be a pretty rough speed for CD (90kmh) and I could barely feel it when I used to. It was almost more like a "tickle" instead of a non ignorable shake . It used to sometimes rattle my dash and shake water in a see through water bottle.

One option that would solve all this would be a fricken menu button to turn it off. Then we could run it going above 100kmh where it's very unnoticeable. The best thing for me is that the annoying low frequency rumble is gone at mostly all speeds. That sound was driving me bonkers

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why would the premium model have this issue? I have the premium model and wondering what cylinder deactivation is?
That's because I think it's only available on the premium model(I think, could be wrong)

Cylinder deactivation is when at cruising the engine shuts off two of four cylinders to save gas. If you are asking you are lucky as you obviously have no issues(which most people probably don't, but who knows)

41 - 60 of 66 Posts