Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 2020 CX-30 as well. 10000 miles. Vibration since day 1. Does it around 50-60 mph and again above 70. Have a complete set of different wheels and tires. No change. Dealer has spent considerable time with no resolution.
That's because unfortunately they don't have a resolution and will say it's totally normal. The only "fix" they have is the radiator brackets and software which is about 10 percent effective.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS AWD
62 Posts
My 2021 GS AWD has 8500kms, Bridgestone Turanza EL440 tires , I have no vibration, no abnormal tire noise and acceptable traction in snow. My wheels and tires were made in Mexico and my car was number 166 off the 2021 production line. My only comment is that all my wheels have a least 2ounces of weights on one or more sides which is more than usual on my previous cars.
I did pick up a nail at about 3600kms near the edge of the tread and the Tire shop in Alberta would not repair it. I was obliged to buy a new one --they are very light and have flimsy walls and thin tread. I did bring the old tire home and had it patch plugged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is like a broken record. But do you have cylinder deactivation in your vehicle? Do you feel vibrations in the car and not just see it in the mirror?
Update on this vibration problem.
I traded my cx30 GT 2020 model for the same but a 2021 model. Just could not stand the vibration any longer. The dealer came through with a good deal as Mazda Canada did not seem to want to admit to any problem with the cylinder activation and the engine being unbalanced in this mode. At present all all seems well but with the pandemic I am not driving much. We will see how it goes over time.
Not the fix I was expecting but am happy with the dealers solution.
Cheers LEA

·
Registered
AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated
698 Posts
Update on this vibration problem.
I traded my cx30 GT 2020 model for the same but a 2021 model. Just could not stand the vibration any longer. The dealer came through with a good deal as Mazda Canada did not seem to want to admit to any problem with the cylinder activation and the engine being unbalanced in this mode. At present all all seems well but with the pandemic I am not driving much. We will see how it goes over time.
Not the fix I was expecting but am happy with the dealers solution.
Cheers LEA
If you don't mind me asking..what was the depreciation?

·
Registered
Machine Gray CX-30
11 Posts
2020 Select. Turanza EL 440s. 2,500 miles. I have had the same vibration problem (50-60mph) since day 1. Sense it in the steering wheel and seats. I don't like driving the car (although my lady friend does). Dealer rebalanced two wheels but no improvement. I do not have cylinder deactivation. I too am looking for a different vehicle but may buy some new tires, first. Have had only Mazdas for last 20 years, but this one disappoints.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select AWD
100 Posts
Just came across this thread. I have a similar problem. 2021 with no cyl deactivation. The car vibrates between 45-55mph since day 1. I assumed it was a tire balance issue. Was going to bring it up in my next (1st) visit since it only has 750 miles on it. Looks like it might be a bigger issue :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just came across this thread. I have a similar problem. 2021 with no cyl deactivation. The car vibrates between 45-55mph since day 1. I assumed it was a tire balance issue. Was going to bring it up in my next (1st) visit since it only has 750 miles on it. Looks like it might be a bigger issue :(
Yea I dunno what the deal is if you dont have CD. My vibration is blatantly the the CD. Smooth as butter on 4 cyls but as soon as it drops to 2 cyl in the 45-65 MPH range it shakes shudders and vibrates. Not much fun

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Sport Tech (UK, RHD), Skyactiv-X
52 Posts
as I said in other threads, my cx-30 used to vibrate speeds above 60km/hr and braking. Mazda dealer replaced the disk brakes (disc rotors in America?) and the brake pads. It is now pristine and finally enjoying it as It should be. Also noticed that since mine is a mild hybrid, I am getting battery regeneration.

oh, it's important to note that the Mazda dealer wanted to charge me for the brake pads which I politely explain (in multiple emails and meetings with them) that the uneven brake pads wear was the result of a Mazda fault in the first place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took tires for inspection and road force balance at the local shop in town. Passenger side front tire was "hopping" on the machine. They re-mounted the tire to reduce the hopping. They were able to get it to "11". Anything under 20 is good balancing. Rear driver side tire was a "22". With careful re-balancing they were able to get it to a "9". The other two tires were "10" and "11".

Took car for a spin and the problem is 95% gone.

Why the F couldn't the dealer do this ? Why the B.S. about normal characteristic of the car ?

What is going on with the quality control at the Mexico factory ? Not good and not confidence inspiring in the overall quality of the vehicle.

Happy the problem is fixed and related to tires only, but pissed with the way Mazda handled this. I would think twice before buying or recommending Mazda based on this interaction.

Tires are 19 inch Bridgestone Turanza EL440, which are rated pretty badly on TireRack, so yeah not good again...

Getting a bit philosophical here....

Why would a company like Mazda that prides itself on driving experience choose to put these cheap tires on ?
But yes, we know the reason. Cost.
But still, why take a chance compromising the most important differentiating feature for them ?
Thanks for this post. I used this information to get the dealer to do the road force balancing. At first they denied there was a problem. If it works I'll update my post. If not, the only solution is new tires. Not good for a brand new car.

Update - the RFB narrowed the speed range in which the vibration occurs (50 - 55MPH). Tires show 13,10, 8 and 4. In time I'll get new tires. In the meanwhile I'll try to ignore and hope for some sort of recall or service advisory if not tire related. Going from CX5 to CX30 means I have to get used to feeling more of the road anyways (on 500 miles so far). I did bring TSB and Service Advisories (which don't apply to my VIN/Year) to my dealer so they know I know and they did not charge me to do the RFB.

·
Registered
cx 30 awd premium
18 Posts
I did the rebalancing it did not work for me..the radiator brackets helped but its still there. I just learned to live with it.. because they say its "normal" . I just dont drive between 45 to 53mph and its all smooth. Yeah hate my car because of this.

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 2021
2 Posts
I wonder if the dealer switched tires before you purchased the Select model as P215 / 55 R18 are the correct size tire for the CX-30, not 19". Maybe this is why you are having the problem. No CX-30 takes 19" tires from the factory.
My 2021 has P215/65 R16 and I have the vibration problem. Did it with winter tires also. Bought the car in Dec.
Dealership is doing the road forced balance tomorrow.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
>> I did the rebalancing it did not work for me..the radiator brackets helped but its still there. I just learned to live with it..
>> because they say its "normal" . I just dont drive between 45 to 53mph and its all smooth. Yeah hate my car because
>> of this.
I completely understand where you are coming from. Felt same way. I am still bitter about the way Mazda handled my complaint. While in my case a road force balance (out of my pocket) fixed 90% of the issue, I was still having slight vibration around same speed you are mentioning till a few days ago when it completely disappeared. This coincided with my first oil change. I hate mysteries and certainly cannot see logic in tying oil change to vibration, but thought I would give an update. There is definitely a good change in the way the car drives since the oil change.

My wife was perfectly happy with the CX-30 (is her car) since the beginning. I now mostly drive my 15 year old Scion tC and don't have a darn thing to complain about.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select AWD
100 Posts
Mine gotten smoother overtime. There is still some vibration but it's not as noticeable as before. I also set my tire pressure as someone suggested to 33 front and 32 rear. It helped some. I've yet to go to a dealer though. I'm collecting all of the issues to present once my 1st oil change comes up.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
50 Posts
Here is something to try. Note there are "free" versions which work surprisingly well with the paid for versions for only a couple dollars. Do NOT ATTEMPT to do this by yourself. Have someone to concentrate on driving and a second person to operate the tablet/phone. This is a link to NVH software. Noise Vibration Harshness NVH App Vibrate Software Automotive Diagnosis

The main thing about using these tools and measuring the frequency of the vibration is you can take a lot of the guess-work out of the process and that makes sure that you concentrate on only the components that could be the source.

It takes years of experience to really learn how to diagnose vibrations by the "seat of the pants" and even then one can still find some cars to be very difficult to nail down. The first thing in any investigation is to identify the plausible sources by frequency and the accelerometers in our smart phones, tablets can do that up to a maximum frequency depending on the device used. My Pixel 2 allows me to measure vibrations up to 51hz. There are tools that can be used that are much more sensitive and have a greater frequency response such as PICOSCOPE NVH but you are also talking about a much more expensive set-up. This is a video where a young technician spent a few days with me to learn how to use the PICOscope tooling. 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 6.6l Diesel 4x4 Vibration Between 60 - 70 John Gillespie (PicoNVH) - YouTube (Yes this is a long video, but it's essentially a live training class)

The PICOSCOPE NVH tools are now essential tools for some manufacturers (GM, Toyota, Ford) but not every manufacturer has embraced them. There are sensors that can be purchased and used with a tablet or cell phone that increase the sensitivity for serious users.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
50 Posts
The PICOSCOPE NVH tools are now essential tools for some manufacturers (GM, Toyota, Ford) but not every manufacturer has embraced them. There are sensors that can be purchased and used with a tablet or cell phone that increase the sensitivity for serious users.
Here is a link to the PICO tools and software that you could share with the dealer technicians if they aren't familiar with it yet. Noise, vibration and balancing

·
Registered
698 Posts
Over 30 000km here with CD and no vibration issues
mine every so often kinda jerks a little bit when the cynder deactivation kicks in kinda like a harsh gear shifting.. most of the time its smooth but sometimes it jerks the vehicle.. Iv watched the status screen same time its happened. Its nothing tho that is really bad and its been really good overall with 21,700 KM on mine now.. still getting used to the oil change scedule and haveing a oil life monitor.. only had one oil change so far back in November and oil life mon says 7,000 km left. Dealership has told me to follow that...

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 2021
2 Posts
I took tires for inspection and road force balance at the local shop in town. Passenger side front tire was "hopping" on the machine. They re-mounted the tire to reduce the hopping. They were able to get it to "11". Anything under 20 is good balancing. Rear driver side tire was a "22". With careful re-balancing they were able to get it to a "9". The other two tires were "10" and "11".

Took car for a spin and the problem is 95% gone.

Why the F couldn't the dealer do this ? Why the B.S. about normal characteristic of the car ?

What is going on with the quality control at the Mexico factory ? Not good and not confidence inspiring in the overall quality of the vehicle.

Happy the problem is fixed and related to tires only, but pissed with the way Mazda handled this. I would think twice before buying or recommending Mazda based on this interaction.

Tires are 19 inch Bridgestone Turanza EL440, which are rated pretty badly on TireRack, so yeah not good again...

Getting a bit philosophical here....

Why would a company like Mazda that prides itself on driving experience choose to put these cheap tires on ?
But yes, we know the reason. Cost.
But still, why take a chance compromising the most important differentiating feature for them ?
Regular balance and a road forced balance did not fix my vibration problem.
I also have Turanza tires 16".
Anyone look into defective cv joints?

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Sport Tech (UK, RHD), Skyactiv-X
52 Posts
Sadly my cx30’s vibration is back. It’s apparent when it’s braking or slowing down especially when you’re 55km/hr or faster.
mazda had already replaced the disk brakes (rotors) and brake pads and it was fine for the 5 months after. They were replaced mid December 2020.
I have taken it back to mazda and they said the disk brakes and brake pads need replacement again. I demanded an explanation why this is happening as when warrantee is over, I wont like such an expense every couple of months. Now they want the car for 3 days to take my car dimensions from the underneath and report to Mazda headquarters.
I have a feeling I have a dummy car and this is not going away. The car was never in an accident And is as perfect as can be.
Any idea why they would want to take such measurements? It’s making me thing it has something worse deep down.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sadly my cx30’s vibration is back. It’s apparent when it’s braking or slowing down especially when you’re 55km/hr or faster.
mazda had already replaced the disk brakes (rotors) and brake pads and it was fine for the 5 months after. They were replaced mid December 2020.
I have taken it back to mazda and they said the disk brakes and brake pads need replacement again. I demanded an explanation why this is happening as when warrantee is over, I wont like such an expense every couple of months. Now they want the car for 3 days to take my car dimensions from the underneath and report to Mazda headquarters.
I have a feeling I have a dummy car and this is not going away. The car was never in an accident And is as perfect as can be.
Any idea why they would want to take such measurements? It’s making me thing it has something worse deep down.
I have a creaking noise in my driver's door going over any uneven ground where the suspension articulates to the drivers side and bumps on one side of the vehicle.. also if I park on uneven ground on that side it feels like the drivers door sticks a little to open and I try the passenger door sane time and it's ok .. subframe flexing or something.. ?

41 - 60 of 60 Posts