Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not (quite) as bad as it sounds. Ruby (the CX-30) has been sat outside, properly locked but idle for a while. So, today, before I used her I decided to clean her. However, Ruby couldn't make her mind up that I wanted it unlocked so I could wash and clean ready for use - despite pressing 'Unlock' on the key fob.

Finished the wash; dried the car and cleared up and wanted to go for a drive. Sat inside - no messages or warning just the console flashing like a Christmas tree and ... nothing.

So I disconnected the battery (as per the manual) and stuck it on charge. Reconnected the car once the charger had done its work and the car started straight away and ran fine - but with 'Engine Malfunction' lit, advising me to take it to a dealer. Joy.

I have let the dealer know I have the problem and am awaiting a time from them to have it checked out. Meh.

·
Registered
2020 Premium, AWD; Soul Red Crystal
81 Posts
It's not (quite) as bad as it sounds. Ruby (the CX-30) has been sat outside, properly locked but idle for a while. So, today, before I used her I decided to clean her. However, Ruby couldn't make her mind up that I wanted it unlocked so I could wash and clean ready for use - despite pressing 'Unlock' on the key fob.

Finished the wash; dried the car and cleared up and wanted to go for a drive. Sat inside - no messages or warning just the console flashing like a Christmas tree and ... nothing.

So I disconnected the battery (as per the manual) and stuck it on charge. Reconnected the car once the charger had done its work and the car started straight away and ran fine - but with 'Engine Malfunction' lit, advising me to take it to a dealer. Joy.

I have let the dealer know I have the problem and am awaiting a time from them to have it checked out. Meh.
Are all your settings/ preferences saved when you disconnect the battery? Or do they default to the original factory settings?

·
Administrator
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are all your settings/ preferences saved when you disconnect the battery? Or do they default to the original factory settings?
I'll find out. I've only used it for five miles to see if it runs. I'll ask the Dealer when it goes in.

·
Registered
AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated
698 Posts
I'll find out. I've only used it for five miles to see if it runs. I'll ask the Dealer when it goes in.
good luck as in hope it gets fixed... I can say tho that on mine when i was last in for service they told me that their is a few software updates and one of them was for the BCM-Body Control Module to address a known battery drain issue... hope they install the updated software on yours :)

·
Premium Member
2021, CX-30 Grand Touring FWD Dark Gray
39 Posts

First of all, thank you for your posting Savcom---as yesterday, I gave my baby her first bath....and oh boy---if I found may issues I was not too happy I did...like the warning in my Dash telling me the battery is too low---warning! So, I simply started the car and continue cleaning it while it was running. This is the first time I ever had this kind of problems washing my car--But, also--I never had a car running so many "things" in stand by--I guess.

1) So, when we wash our cars--what is the "thing" that drains the battery?
a) The fact that we have our e-key with us? Shall we leave it some place away (x feet) from the car?
b) The fact that we have all the doors open? Do the lights go out by themselves if we leave a door open on purpose or by accident? They should...
c) Both of these facts?

2) And then--if we in fact kill the battery--How do we charge it? I never had to desconnect a battery to charge them--do we have to?
3) What are the pros and cons of doing either one? Charge with battery connected or disconnect it to charge it--although we already know--by your feedback.
a) What happens if we disconnect the battery to charge it....Thank you again. Although, we really shouldn't have to make a trip to the dealer for this--time is money.
b) We have to take the car to the dealer everytime we kill the battery? Why can we simply do it ourselves? Whatever it is we need to do.

I did pay very close attention to all the details of this car---and the design. How easy or hard it is to get it cleaned up...Have no idea how to get all the water dropplets marks from the beautiful black grill--does anyone have a good way of doing so? How do you get a cleanup grill?

IMG_20210411_104236650_HDR.jpg

·
Update your profile with your Vehicle Details
7 Posts
One method to remove water spots on the grill is this: after washing but before drying the grill, liberally spray distilled water on the grill to wash off the mineral-laden hose water. It is the minerals in the hose water which cause the spots (unless you drive through a dust storm when the car is still damp). Fill a spray bottle with distilled (or demineralized) water from the market. Spray heavily, then use a lint-free towel to dry.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
One method to remove water spots on the grill is this: after washing but before drying the grill, liberally spray distilled water on the grill to wash off the mineral-laden hose water. It is the minerals in the hose water which cause the spots (unless you drive through a dust storm when the car is still damp). Fill a spray bottle with distilled (or demineralized) water from the market. Spray heavily, then use a lint-free towel to dry.

Thank you CD--That is simple enough recommendation--I will give it try next time. I use a shamois to do my car--it saves me a lot of time.

·
Administrator
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2) And then--if we in fact kill the battery--How do we charge it? I never had to desconnect a battery to charge them--do we have to?
3) What are the pros and cons of doing either one? Charge with battery connected or disconnect it to charge it--although we already know--by your feedback.
I will be asking these questions of the dealer when I get the car there.

Regarding charging the battery, the manual is not really very clear, but this is an extract from this part of the manual:

I read this as 'disconnect the battery before charging'

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Thank you for your prompt response Martin. I will definitely address this issue with them...but, at the same time--I do want to overcome this issue next time I wash my car...I am really not looking forward to draining my battery by the simple act of washing my car--Because, of course; I does take me long time to do so now. I am not a spring chicken anymore. Although none of my other cars do that---Like I said, this is my first car with so many electronic bells and whistles. A new learning curve for sure….

·
Administrator
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@CarpeDiem - welcome to the forum. please update your profile and post an introduction. It's all explained here.

·
Administrator
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a call from the dealer at 08:15 this morning:
  1. Apparently I washed the car wrong - shouldn't have had the key in my pocket. I'll need to look at exactly how I should wash my new car (i.e. unlock it so it stays unlocked). There isn't anything specific in the Owners Manual either.
  2. The Warning Light may go out after a number of ignition cycles, so I am to continue to use the car as normal. I'll monitor this over the next few days.
  3. There are a 'couple of outstanding software updates' due for the car and they are awaiting the tools to do this. Once these are available the car can be booked in. If the light is still on by then, they will reset it.
  4. I was told that the battery can get hot when being charged which is why Mazda recommend the battery is slow-charged out of the car (in the dealers, apparently, they charge the battery out of the car and sitting in a tank of water.... :oops: )
I will try and get the recommendations of the dealer when I put the car in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
  1. Apparently I washed the car wrong - shouldn't have had the key in my pocket. I'll need to look at exactly how I should wash my new car (i.e. unlock it so it stays unlocked). There isn't anything specific in the Owners Manual either.
  2. The Warning Light may go out after a number of ignition cycles, so I am to continue to use the car as normal. I'll monitor this over the next few days.
  3. There are a 'couple of outstanding software updates' due for the car and they are awaiting the tools to do this. Once these are available the car can be booked in. If the light is still on by then, they will reset it.
  4. I was told that the battery can get hot when being charged which is why Mazda recommend the battery is slow-charged out of the car (in the dealers, apparently, they charge the battery out of the car and sitting in a tank of water.... :oops: )
You didn't wash the car wrong, that's BS. The car should perfectly hold an hour or 2 with the doors open and the key around it.

I've read somewhere else around this forum of issues with battery drain that were solved by software updates (recalls?), and that's probably what will happen with yours as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
First of all, thank you for your posting Savcom---as yesterday, I gave my baby her first bath....and oh boy---if I found may issues I was not too happy I did...like the warning in my Dash telling me the battery is too low---warning! So, I simply started the car and continue cleaning it while it was running. This is the first time I ever had this kind of problems washing my car--But, also--I never had a car running so many "things" in stand by--I guess.

a) The fact that we have our e-key with us? Shall we leave it some place away (x feet) from the car?
b) The fact that we have all the doors open? Do the lights go out by themselves if we leave a door open on purpose or by accident? They should...
c) Both of these facts?

a) What happens if we disconnect the battery to charge it....Thank you again. Although, we really shouldn't have to make a trip to the dealer for this--time is money.
b) We have to take the car to the dealer everytime we kill the battery? Why can we simply do it ourselves? Whatever it is we need to do.

I did pay very close attention to all the details of this car---and the design. How easy or hard it is to get it cleaned up...Have no idea how to get all the water dropplets marks from the beautiful black grill--does anyone have a good way of doing so? How do you get a cleanup grill?

View attachment 1753
I use a pet dryer for my motorbikes (because motorbikes are full of small holes, bolts and crevices which cars typically don't have, and that makes it really hard to dry properly). Here's an example of a pet dryer. You can also try with a hair dryer, highest fan setting (heat should be as low as possible) to push the water away, or you can take it for a fast drive which will have the same effect - pushing the water away. I live by a highway so many times I just go for a quick but fast drive (water starts being pushed around 100 km/h - 60 mph) so make sure you go above that for a minute or so. It also dries the radiator and many other small places hard to get. You can then finish off the drying with a proper cloth - the chamois isn't the best for drying, there are dedicated cloths for that that won't scratch as much.

·
Registered
2020, Mazda, CX-30 GT Sport Tech MHEV Auto SKYACTIV X
8 Posts
At the dealers when they charge the battery I believe they use a very high current, hence the water bath to keep it cool. I too have had battery problems. Two days after I had charged the battery the car would not start at all and had to be "dragged" to the dealers. In case this happens to you look in the manual for: "Emergency Operation for Starting the Engine". It effectivley says "Press and hold the push button start until the engine starts." I did not know that when I had my issues.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had this problem when washing the car { I read somewhere the car recognises the presence of the key so goes into pre-start mode and doesn't switch off when you dont get in, thus draining battery. I have not had any issues since the car went in for software updates (y):)

·
Administrator
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
At the dealers when they charge the battery I believe they use a very high current, hence the water bath to keep it cool. I too have had battery problems. Two days after I had charged the battery the car would not start at all and had to be "dragged" to the dealers. In case this happens to you look in the manual for: "Emergency Operation for Starting the Engine". It effectivley says "Press and hold the push button start until the engine starts." I did not know that when I had my issues.
I asked if that were the case and he said he didn't know. Mind you, he also said he didn't recognise a CTEK battery conditioner/charger (which I use) so I guess he wasn't an expert (no reason why he should be, mind you).
As ambient temperature was only around 5°C (41°F) there wasn't much danger of my battery overheating on the CTEK.

I had this problem when washing the car { I read somewhere the car recognises the presence of the key so goes into pre-start mode and doesn't switch off when you dont get in, thus draining battery. I have not had any issues since the car went in for software updates (y):)
It does beggar belief that the car can't make it's mind up when you're trying to wash it. I unlocked it with the fob button and started washing. As I walked to and from my buckets the car kept locking and unlocking. In my mind, once unlocked, it should stay unlocked until I lock it with the fob.

You didn't wash the car wrong, that's BS. The car should perfectly hold an hour or 2 with the doors open and the key around it.
I have to agree with you. I've been washing cars for 40 years and never had a problem until now.

I've read somewhere else around this forum of issues with battery drain that were solved by software updates (recalls?), and that's probably what will happen with yours as well.
Yes, there are a couple of threads about - and @ColinW refers to his battery problem above. Let's see what the updates are.

·
Registered
AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated
698 Posts
I guess nobody saw my post.... there is a software update to the body control module to address a battery drain issue ... Had mine updated and I was mine every week with the key in my pocket.. no issues since the software update.. there is a tsb for the software update and so the dealership should be doing the update.

·
Administrator
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess nobody saw my post.... there is a software update to the body control module to address a battery drain issue ... Had mine updated and I was mine every week with the key in my pocket.. no issues since the software update.. there is a tsb for the software update and so the dealership should be doing the update.
Post #4 above? Apologies, I should have mentioned that too. Yes I read that and I suspect it's these updates that the dealer is waiting to do once the tool arrives, as I said in Post #11. Interestingly my CX-30 is still showing no Recalls outstanding on the Mazda database, so this apparently isn't important enough for Mazda to make it a Recall as it's not "safety, regulations, or emissions". Sigh.

Reactions: detailcarguy

·
Registered
Mazda CX30 SEL LUX
86 Posts

Thats handy to know, when i have washed my car the damn thing keeps unlocking and locking itself

1 - 20 of 43 Posts