Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Were all your settings/ preferences saved when you disconnected the battery? Or did they default to the original factory settings?
Nope. Not saved. 🙄 so I'll need to set them all up again. Also it doesn't seem to remember fuel consumption statistics either.

The engine malfunction light has now extinguished on the third drive, so things are looking up - and she's booked into the dealers for three software updates on Tuesday. Tail lift, battery drain and one other (the service manager wasn't sure).

·
Registered
2020 Premium, AWD; Soul Red Crystal
81 Posts
Nope. Not saved. 🙄 so I'll need to set them all up again. Also it doesn't seem to remember fuel consumption statistics either.

The engine malfunction light has now extinguished on the third drive, so things are looking up - and she's booked into the dealers for three software updates on Tuesday. Tail lift, battery drain and one other (the service manager wasn't sure).
I had suspected that when the battery dies or is disconnected all the personal settings/ preferences would be lost. So, at some point, we all have that to look forward to --- battery dies and you are put through the inconvenience of having to re-visit all of your settings. You would think that Mazda would have installed a separate, small lithium battery--- just for the purpose of storing the vehicle's settings, etc.

·
Administrator
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I had suspected that when the battery dies or is disconnected all the personal settings/ preferences would be lost. So, at some point, we all have that to look forward to --- battery dies and you are put through the inconvenience of having to re-visit all of your settings. You would think that Mazda would have installed a separate, small lithium battery--- just for the purpose of storing the vehicle's settings, etc.
I agree. This time though I shall be recording on paper the settings when I redo them....

·
Registered
Current Mazdas: 15 Mazda3, 16 Mazda2, 19 Mazda3 and 3 prior Mazdas
64 Posts
Question about the original post. You say the car was “idle for a while”. Are you saying that you didn’t drive it for a few months? If so, that with the drain from constantly connecting to the key might have made a difference. If your car sits too long, you may want to go for a nice long drive twice a month or so.

·
Administrator
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Question about the original post. You say the car was “idle for a while”. Are you saying that you didn’t drive it for a few months? If so, that with the drain from constantly connecting to the key might have made a difference. If your car sits too long, you may want to go for a nice long drive twice a month or so.
You're absolutely right - but the car had been used a few times in the previous months (we can't go far in the UK due to COVID and I myself am medically vulnerable, further limiting my movement). I think it had been idle (and properly locked) for about two weeks.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
50 Posts
So I disconnected the battery (as per the manual) and stuck it on charge. Reconnected the car once the charger had done its work and the car started straight away and ran fine - but with 'Engine Malfunction' lit, advising me to take it to a dealer. Joy.
In the future charge the battery when necessary without disconnecting it. The smart charging systems on many of today's cars include a battery current sensor on the negative cable. In order for the body computer (or what ever module, is the master) to calculate the batteries state of charge and state of health it has to see all of the power going into and coming from the battery. If you charge a battery from the battery posts or disconnect the battery the controller loses the batteries state of charge and health and will have to relearn it. To prevent that connect to the positive post and the negative to the engine block or a jump start post if provided.

·
Administrator
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
In the future charge the battery when necessary without disconnecting it. The smart charging systems on many of today's cars include a battery current sensor on the negative cable. In order for the body computer (or what ever module, is the master) to calculate the batteries state of charge and state of health it has to see all of the power going into and coming from the battery. If you charge a battery from the battery posts or disconnect the battery the controller loses the batteries state of charge and health and will have to relearn it. To prevent that connect to the positive post and the negative to the engine block or a jump start post if provided.
I agree fully with what you say, but it isn't clear from the owners manual on how to charge the battery and I went with these instructions at the time.. As stated above, the implication is that the battery should be charged outside the vehicle. This is from the online Owners Manual

It's something I want to discuss with the engineers when I take the car in on Tuesday, as the manual here is inadequate in my mind.

Interestingly, if you're jump-starting the engine then the procedure is quite different:
Also from the Owners Manual

So the implication is that you could use the jump-start connections to charge the car, but I want this confirmed by Mazda before using it.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
50 Posts
I agree fully with what you say, but it isn't clear from the owners manual on how to charge the battery and I went with these instructions at the time.. As stated above, the implication is that the battery should be charged outside the vehicle. This is from the online Owners Manual
View attachment 1805
I read that as "IF" you are going to disconnect the battery. Otherwise the instructions for jump starting do apply to charging. They could have been a little more clear on that. The thing to take away from this is charging the battery out of the car, or just from the battery posts will create an issue that no one would expect. BTW. This is not a Mazda thing, it applies to "almost" all new cars today. Some vehicles do have a relearn that can be commanded with a scan tool that essentially hides the BCM's relearn of the battery, but it can still take four hours or more to complete depending on the car.

·
Registered
Mazda CX30 GT Sport Tech Skyactive X Auto Deep Crystal Blue
64 Posts
I asked if that were the case and he said he didn't know. Mind you, he also said he didn't recognise a CTEK battery conditioner/charger (which I use) so I guess he wasn't an expert (no reason why he should be, mind you).
As ambient temperature was only around 5°C (41°F) there wasn't much danger of my battery overheating on the CTEK.

It does beggar belief that the car can't make it's mind up when you're trying to wash it. I unlocked it with the fob button and started washing. As I walked to and from my buckets the car kept locking and unlocking. In my mind, once unlocked, it should stay unlocked until I lock it with the fob.

I have to agree with you. I've been washing cars for 40 years and never had a problem until now.

Yes, there are a couple of threads about - and @ColinW refers to his battery problem above. Let's see what the updates are.
I have also had the same issues as I often spend a lot of time washing the inner doors and boot area as they seem to accumulate a lot of dust/mud etc., I then find the battery has drained when attempting a start. After being frustrated of continually calling out Mazda recovery I decided to purchase a Noco booster battery which has been a godsend and allows the car to be jump started immediately. I complained to Mazda directly about this and they instructed my dealer to do remedial work to overcome the problem, but it obviously has not worked for me.

After more complaining to Mazda UK they have now advised me that there are three recalls for my vehicle. AM006A Power Liftgate Concern and two additional SSP updates AM005A and AM007A, I asked the dealer why these were not carried out 3 weeks ago at the first service and they claimed they need a special tool from Mazda which they are awaiting. I actually had a telephone call last week asking me to bring in the car this Friday but they will not discuss what the work entails.
I will update you after the next car wash. Sadly, a great car but so many issues, only last week I had to take it to the Mazda bodyshop as the drivers door had moved out of alignment and left a10mm gap by the roof line creating wind noise. It fits perfectly now, but they said the had to totally remove the door and refit,

·
Administrator
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
After more complaining to Mazda UK they have now advised me that there are three recalls for my vehicle. AM006A Power Liftgate Concern and two additional SSP updates AM005A and AM007A, I asked the dealer why these were not carried out 3 weeks ago at the first service and they claimed they need a special tool from Mazda which they are awaiting. I actually had a telephone call last week asking me to bring in the car this Friday but they will not discuss what the work entails.
Mine is going in tomorrow for these updates - again because the dealer was awaiting the tool from Mazda (which I think is the computer system to carry out the upgrade). My service manager didn't know what the last two updates are. I'll ask tomorrow - if I can't find out separately.

·
Premium Member
2021, CX-30 Grand Touring FWD Dark Gray
46 Posts
I had this problem when washing the car { I read somewhere the car recognises the presence of the key so goes into pre-start mode and doesn't switch off when you dont get in, thus draining battery. I have not had any issues since the car went in for software updates (y):)
Interesting-That is great to know Bruce-Is there a way to see or confirm what version we currently have and then--what version is the latest available?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Interesting-That is great to know Bruce-Is there a way to see or confirm what version we currently have and then--what version is the latest available?
Hi OERA 1, as far as I can remember it was the Climate control unit and Body control module to cure the battery drainage they did other updates on the MRCC and the latest firmware version so I now get audible speed camera alerts, I dont know if any or all of these updates will apply to your newer car in Mexico

Look here for latest updates for your region

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Hi OERA 1, as far as I can remember it was the Climate control unit and Body control module to cure the battery drainage they did other updates on the MRCC and the latest firmware version so I now get audible speed camera alerts, I dont know if any or all of these updates will apply to your newer car in Mexico

Awesome--Thank you Bruce. The way I understand Firware Upgrades--you see/check your version and by doing so--you can tell if you have the latest available--or not. Easy as that--I am just surprise they do not tell you the latest available version. That, all by itself, it will tell you if you need an update, or not. Anyhow--I will review my current Version and see how it changes after I install this available one for Mexico region-

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 GT AWD - Soul Red Crystal
148 Posts
Post #4 above? Apologies, I should have mentioned that too. Yes I read that and I suspect it's these updates that the dealer is waiting to do once the tool arrives, as I said in Post #11. Interestingly my CX-30 is still showing no Recalls outstanding on the Mazda database, so this apparently isn't important enough for Mazda to make it a Recall as it's not "safety, regulations, or emissions". Sigh.
Hello,
Only recalls show on the Mazda database.
The battery drain issue isn’t what they consider a “recall”, but a Special Service Program rather. I received my lift gate recall notice in the mail along with 2 special service programs a few days ago.
Had the car in today and it all checked out ok. They did what they had to do and I had my car back in 3 hours.

The service programs were to address the issues of:
Battery Drain
Making the cruise control smoother
Static noise coming from Bose speakers
And something to do with the lift gate and locking security feature.

I also had the fuel tank recall done earlier in the year.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Awesome--Thank you Bruce. The way I understand Firware Upgrades--you see/check your version and by doing so--you can tell if you have the latest available--or not. Easy as that--I am just surprise they do not tell you the latest available version. That, all by itself, it will tell you if you need an update, or not. Anyhow--I will review my current Version and see how it changes after I install this available one for Mexico region-

Hello Bruce---I honestly like the fact that Mazda gives us the ability to get these updates ourselves. I just checked the availble version and it is a newer version than what I have...So, I immidiatelly updated--too bad I do not have a listing of the bugs they claim they are correcting--it would be nice to see a list of all the improvements and/or changes too. Anyhow--Just happy to be able to check for upgrades myself and be able to install them too. I have experience from my previous job with a Japanese manufacturer (many years back). I used to handle all newest Software Upgrades and I know we never shared all bugs corrected. We just made sure everyone knew how to check their version and if found to be an old one, to make sure they update it asap....that was key.

I was very happy to read the news when Tesla started doing "repairs" and "modifications or improvements" to their cars through a software update. That was a dream come true for many--that is a welcome to the future of cars. Many times--just as today--no need to go to the repair shop, just make sure you have the latest software update in your car. As many issues are indeed caused by the electronics of the system and the electronic instructions can always be updated....In my times, we used to replaced Microprocesors because there was no such thing as a "software update", that came out later....I still remember. I will see if I notice any changes in my car from now on. Thank you agan for sharing that web site with the available software updates for our cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello Bruce---I honestly like the fact that Mazda gives us the ability to get these updates ourselves. I just checked the availble version and it is a newer version than what I have...So, I immidiatelly updated--too bad I do not have a listing of the bugs they claim they are correcting--it would be nice to see a list of all the improvements and/or changes too. Anyhow--Just happy to be able to check for upgrades myself and be able to install them too. I have experience from my previous job with a Japanese manufacturer (many years back). I used to handle all newest Software Upgrades and I know we never shared all bugs corrected. We just made sure everyone knew how to check their version and if found to be an old one, to make sure they update it asap....that was key.

I was very happy to read the news when Tesla started doing "repairs" and "modifications or improvements" to their cars through a software update. That was a dream come true for many--that is a welcome to the future of cars. Many times--just as today--no need to go to the repair shop, just make sure you have the latest software update in your car. As many issues are indeed caused by the electronics of the system and the electronic instructions can always be updated....In my times, we used to replaced Microprocesors because there was no such thing as a "software update", that came out later....I still remember. I will see if I notice any changes in my car from now on. Thank you agan for sharing that web site with the available software updates for our cars.
Hi OREA1, I'm pleased I've been able to help, I'm not as confident as you at updating my own
As far as I can tell my dealer has done updates/fixes on the SBS,CCU and BCM. It now has to go back for fixes on the Bose speaker(buzzing) and issue with the tailgate(closing unexpectantly) as I say mine is a early model out of Mexico (late 2019) so you might not have the same issues
I have to say I never noticed any of these problems with the car apart from the battery draining on two occasions whilst washing car with keys in my pocket and have had no further problems since updates

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Hi OREA1, I'm pleased I've been able to help, I'm not as confident as you at updating my own
As far as I can tell my dealer has done updates/fixes on the SBS,CCU and BCM. It now has to go back for fixes on the Bose speaker(buzzing) and issue with the tailgate(closing unexpectantly) as I say mine is a early model out of Mexico (late 2019) so you might not have the same issues
I have to say I never noticed any of these problems with the car apart from the battery draining on two occasions whilst washing car with keys in my pocket and have had no further problems since updates

Hello Bruce--just so that you and everyone knows---I am somehow familiar with software upgrades---I have been a huge fan of the ability to "fix" problems through software upgrades instead of anything else. I am not an expert--I do have a write up from many years back when I was working on consumer electronics and the birth of these software upgrades in the TV world--specially, the TV-repair world. That was my world for many years--most of my life in fact. For me--is awesome to be able to see and experience that ability to do it in cars too. That is what we are living now.....And I too, clearly understand how it is "normal" people will only rely on these SU to be done by the dealer. I am simply thrilled that the manufacturer is in fact giving us (mere mortals) access to these SU through their web site. By the way--this problem of dead battery--was (or still is?) a huge issue in new German made vehicles--I see this as "normal" in the world of electronics industry---and what we are seeing--the mixing of electronics with mechanics in our new cars. They are no longer mechanical only items they are a hybrid computer in wheels.

I can only see positive in it--as I hate having to take my cars to a repair shop. I disliked it so much that I have been fixing my own cars and truck (older vehicles) for the last 20 years or more, including a 2002 Ford F250 Diesel. My baby too--I love that sucker--the biggest engine (445 CI) in a truck--that I know--a huge 7.3 liter monster--turbo. I did fix that guy too--everytime it breaks down on me. Besides that I save some good money too.

·
Registered
2021 CX30 GT
27 Posts
Thank you for your prompt response Martin. I will definitely address this issue with them...but, at the same time--I do want to overcome this issue next time I wash my car...I am really not looking forward to draining my battery by the simple act of washing my car--Because, of course; I does take me long time to do so now. I am not a spring chicken anymore. Although none of my other cars do that---Like I said, this is my first car with so many electronic bells and whistles. A new learning curve for sure….

·
Registered
2021 CX30 GT
27 Posts
Hello All ...I am new to Talk.Com...not sure how to post... as this is my first post on any site and hope it goes well. Looking at how Mazda is going to solve this Low Battery Alarm.
Just purchased my CX30 GT..Premium here in Ontario Canada. Lovely vehicle...Handling etc.

Expecting or maybe not.. that there might be a few glitches...nothing prepared me to have these low battery alarm go off. You can't do practically anything before this goes off. Not enjoying my vehicle to it's fullest on account of this. How will one know if the battery is really LOW??
How can one leave a car parked for a time period and come back to a dead battery....list can go on and on here. Owned many vehicles but not with this kind of technology.

I have gone to my dealer twice and all checked Ok....but it's not OK to have this and Mazda should recognize this issue and get a fix.
Was given a printed list from my dealership from Mazda as to drive vehicle for 5 minutes or idle..plus more.
No way should we need to start opening the Hood for battery etc etc..drive the car for 5 min etc..I am not capable anyways of getting under the hood and all of it I am not a young person anymore.

I contacted Mazda Canada Customer Service and have now an active file and will diligently keep calling for each and every time this happens when and how and hope that if we all do this we Will get a fix. $39,000 later I expect one.

It is the second time I see a Body Contour Module being replaced with success..has anyone heard of this ???
I know I will enjoy this vehicle more at some point but this is causing to fear a dead battery for no good reason.

Sincerely Susan

·
Administrator
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
First of all, welcome to the forum, @Susan . Thank you for registering and getting involved.

I had the software updates done, as stated above, two weeks ago and I have to say I have had no issues with the car since. My pattern of use hasn't changed substantially and I've had no more issues with the battery dying on me. I am (naturally) a little cautious with the car (and it will have to re-earn my confidence) but so far, so good.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts