Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 SkyactivX GT Plus FWD AT - Polymetal Grey
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've driven my CX-30 for almost 1000 km and noticed that cooling may be an issue.
Its Auto mode switches on air recycling by default and cooling is improved but trying to keep temperature at 22 degrees Celsius with fresh air seems to be a problem.
If I increase the fan speed or lower the temperature to 20 or 21 degrees Celsius the cooling is improved.
I've taken some temperature readings today. After the car has been sitting in the driveway under the sun, the inside temperature was 35 degrees Celsius while outside temperature was 28 degrees. With A/C on at minimum temperature and maximum fan speed I could only get a temperature reading of 8 degrees at the inside air vents. I remember that I was getting 4-5 degrees in my former Passat with same settings which leads me to believe there's not enough coolant in the A/C system.
Has any of you noticed this cooling issue in your car?

·
Registered
AWD GT CX-30 ceramic coated
404 Posts
I always leave the climate control on 20 degrees Celsius and on auto 99 percent of the time and it seems to work well tho i do notice under cretin acceleration scenarios that the AC compressor will shut off and the air starts to become allot less cool and then after a few seconds after needing to suddenly accelerate say to merge. Tho resumes after that back to "normal" when just coasting along or just keeping a speed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
...Seems to be a convergence of opinion on AC temps. Here in North Carolina, we're in the middle of our "eight weeks of southern summer hell" season. My AC keeps things happy at 20 C (68 F) when it's 34 C (93 F) at mid-day. Would loved to have ventilated seats, and beige ones at that. And the drivers vents are pretty much aimed at my hands...not optimal. They get cold. Got around that by aiming vents at my (using the Latin term here...) axillae. But really, no complaints about the ability of the AC to keep things cool here down south. The reason I bought in the summer was to test the AC.

·
Registered
404 Posts
...Seems to be a convergence of opinion on AC temps. Here in North Carolina, we're in the middle of our "eight weeks of southern summer hell" season. My AC keeps things happy at 20 C (68 F) when it's 34 C (93 F) at mid-day. Would loved to have ventilated seats, and beige ones at that. And the drivers vents are pretty much aimed at my hands...not optimal. They get cold. Got around that by aiming vents at my (using the Latin term here...) axillae. But really, no complaints about the ability of the AC to keep things cool here down south. The reason I bought in the summer was to test the AC.
Works very well I find as well ... Having a heat wave here with 90 percent humidity and 34 degrees C 94 F and I just leave it on auto and set it to 20 works fantastic

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 GT AWD - Soul Red Crystal
134 Posts
We’ve been having 30-39 Celsius hot temps as of late.

I find it perfect set on (auto, re-circulate, 20-22C)

When it’s not on auto it’s just a mess....and doesn’t work well for me at all.

·
Registered
404 Posts
We’ve been having 30-39 Celsius hot temps as of late.

I find it perfect set on (auto, re-circulate, 20-22C)

When it’s not on auto it’s just a mess....and doesn’t work well for me at all.
Same thing in the winter for heat when it's -35 c works well left on auto and 20c unless you need to clear the front windshield but as soon as it's clear back to auto and works very well.. I find the active grill shutters work very well in helping the engine warmup .

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 GT AWD - Soul Red Crystal
134 Posts
Same thing in the winter for heat when it's -35 c works well left on auto and 20c unless you need to clear the front windshield but as soon as it's clear back to auto and works very well.. I find the active grill shutters work very well in helping the engine warmup .
I took ownership my May so I haven’t experienced our Canadian winter with the CX-30 yet.

How did you find the wipers in the winter? Easy to set them up in accessory mode?

Is it easy to clear the snow and ice from the area they’re tucked in?

Also when you go through a car wash do you have to disable auto sensing wipers?
I’ve been doing hand washing so far but that’s not always so practical in the winter ...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Honestly the heated wipers work very well and I took delivery of mine in February and iv never put the wipers on "replacement" mode as I didn't find it necessary with the heated wipers as they thaw out very well... And I refuse to use any automatic car wash as I do not want swirl marks etc and have the vehicle ceramic coated so all I do is fill up my two buckets with water throw them on the back with the lids securely on with my Mr pink car shampoo grit guards and wash mit and carefully drive to the self wash place and all I use there is the pressure washer and it cost me 4 Bux once a week in the winter otherwise I do it at home in the summer. 🙂

·
Registered
23 Posts
<<..And I refuse to use any automatic car wash as I do not want swirl marks etc and have the vehicle ceramic coated so all I do is fill up my two buckets with water throw them on the back with the lids securely on with my Mr pink car shampoo grit guards and wash mit and carefully drive to the self wash place and all I use there is the pressure washer and it cost me 4 Bux once a week in the winter otherwise I do it at home in the summer. 🙂>>

Thanks for the encouragement, DG. Car wash brushes will never scar this car. Only because the pretty good polymetal grey deserves it, I washed it AFTER my overnight test drive to see how much labor is involved. Passed. Took it back to the dealer, bought it, then spent four days detaiing: Two bucket wash (again), clay bar, Klasse All in One (1X), Klasse Sealant Glaze (3X), Pinnacle Souverain (4X) and topped with Pinnacle Crystal Mist.

Worth it. Nothing sticks to a friction-less surface. Highly recommend Crystal Mist after washing.

AP

·
Registered
404 Posts
In my case there is really nothing I need to do other then two bucket method wash it as with a ceramic coating it's pointless to throw a wax on top and will actually make it look hazy as the ceramic coating will repel the wax and it won't bond at all and just sit on top .. hydrophobic properties of the ceramic coating are by far fantastic and it will last 3 years with proper care :) all I do is wash it .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, you'd think that would be the case. It sounds crazy. But it's been my routine for ages... The depth of shine makes you think you can sink your hand into it. Not as pronounced as on my Saab (white), but the paint on "Sigrid" is a little better. So, like you, all I do is wash, but apply Crystal Mist after the wash... Mwwaa! California duster now and then and she looks pretty good. Happy detailing! Link to my routine: Klasse All-In-One, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, Pinnacle Souveran, Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray Wax come together to create a forum favorite kit.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yeah, you'd think that would be the case. It sounds crazy. But it's been my routine for ages... The depth of shine makes you think you can sink your hand into it. Not as pronounced as on my Saab (white), but the paint on "Sigrid" is a little better. So, like you, all I do is wash, but apply Crystal Mist after the wash... Mwwaa! California duster now and then and she looks pretty good. Happy detailing! Link to my routine: Klasse All-In-One, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, Pinnacle Souveran, Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray Wax come together to create a forum favorite kit.
My ceramic coating look.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
421 Posts
just got mine yesterday and so far the a/c appears to work great, but then at the moment it is not extremely hot (29C)

Reactions: t.mazda

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 Deep Crystal Blue Mica - Premium
202 Posts
If I do not have it on recirculating air.. it will be cold & then become warm. With no consistency. Kind of like that Katy Perry song hot and Cold..

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 SkyactivX GT Plus FWD AT - Polymetal Grey
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I recognize that behaviour. Unless you set it to recycle the inside air (which is the default setting on Auto mode!), it will cool the inside but later it will get warm and you need to readjust the temperature.
On the Romanian forum, 2-3 users reported that they requested a check of the air conditioning system and upon verifications up to 70g of coolant was missing. Aircon weakness was said to be fixed after that.

·
Registered
CX-30 G122 AT Comfort Machine Grey
43 Posts
That is interesting info Marksman. I (and many others) had that issue with a new model Ford Mondeo which had less coolant than needed for working as to be expected. Can you share whether these cars came from Japan or Mexico? Maybe there is a pattern.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX 30 preferred trim
19 Posts
I put a meat thermometer in the air vent and took a video to show what my brand new CX 30 is doing. Every time I accelerate the compressor kicks off and the air warms up about 14 degrees even with the airflow on recirculate. Others have suggested it is normal for the compressor to turn off when the throttle is above 50%. The video clearly shows that I am accelerating slowly, certainly less than 50% throttle. I did the same test in a Kia Optima and it cooled to 47 F then went even cooler down to 45 F when I accelerated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok, I watched your video in full.
Please do not take this the wrong way, but this is typical Mazda AC operation, and yes I heard your wife has a Kia, well a Kia is not a Mazda, they are not engineered the same way.
with close to 100F outside and getting down to 50-51 is the compressor cut out or cut off temp.
I assume you understand how AC /Refrigeration works, the Compressor is never on all the time, where you are seeing the 10 degree difference is when the Compressor cuts out becasue it has reached 50F, which is 10 degrees Celsius (my home refrigerator here maintains about 4-6 Celsius), which is pretty cold out of vents, All Car Brand AC's are measured from the middle of Dash Air Vent Outlet (which is about middle position of the interior Evaporator which is usually mounted behind the cars Glove-box (I have not checked the CX-30 exact location but all Mazda for past 38 years have been in that location).
The cycling on and off (even if the Accelerator Pedal is not at 50%) again is normal, becasue IF the Compressor is on all the time the Evap would freeze up, Pipes would freeze and other issues happen.
Again as I have said before Mazda AC's don't go down to Freezing Cold Temps.
IF you are an Auto Electrician or Electrician you could hook up a 12volt wire from Compressor Clutch to a small 12V globe inside car so you can monitor the Compressor on and off, Comp on when there is powered to Clutch, Comp off when light goes out. I bet when the light is out (Comp OFF) is when it is cycling off and on as the Sensor inside of Evaporator has reached 50F, it heats back up and Compressor cuts in again to cool down.
Seriously every new Mazda model or particularly Owner complains about Mazda AC not being cold enough.
IMO you are looking for a problem or a fault that is just not there.
Having said that Mazda Japan may change software after enough complaints, that is something a Mazda Dealer can not alter unless Japan changes their Software and or in some cases a re-engineered or modified AC Thermostats Control Unit (they did that for the series USA Mazda RX-8 17 years ago, on that cars system).
I am also surprised you got the Temp down low even under your car-port at engine Idle with AC on, the system would have become heat soaked pretty quickly even with Condenser Fan on in carport.
Sorry my friend but to me from Australia your car looks pretty normal for a Mazda AC..
I will look into it a little more if I find info will let you know.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts