Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Surprised to hear that a Romania topped up the AC Refrigerant becasue it was 'low', generally to lose R134y gas is either a leak which overtime all gas is expelled as 'leaks' do not stop leaking or a pipe joint leak.
Once a certain amount to gas is expelled the Compressor will never turn on until system is fixed and re-evacuated and re-filled with new gas, most AC's not working at all in cars is a 60-100% loss of refrigerant gas, no Compressor on means no working AC at all, all just hot air. Stay tuned..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry forgot to add, as in the Video if it is 100F outside you should have your fan as close to Maximum as possible, you have system on Recirc which is good as you are only cooling down cabin air, but the greater the air flow over the Evaporator (the inside radiator part that gets cold) the colder the cabin as the Compressor will take longer to turn off but get to the 50F faster and IMO maintain the Temp better rather than increasing by about 12F during Compressor Cycling OFF period. Also with Maximum Air Flow over Evaporator when Compressor cycles OFF it will switch back on sooner to maintain that lower temp...please try this.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX 30 preferred trim
17 Posts
Ok, I watched your video in full.
Please do not take this the wrong way, but this is typical Mazda AC operation, and yes I heard your wife has a Kia, well a Kia is not a Mazda, they are not engineered the same way.
with close to 100F outside and getting down to 50-51 is the compressor cut out or cut off temp.
I assume you understand how AC /Refrigeration works, the Compressor is never on all the time, where you are seeing the 10 degree difference is when the Compressor cuts out becasue it has reached 50F, which is 10 degrees Celsius (my home refrigerator here maintains about 4-6 Celsius), which is pretty cold out of vents, All Car Brand AC's are measured from the middle of Dash Air Vent Outlet (which is about middle position of the interior Evaporator which is usually mounted behind the cars Glove-box (I have not checked the CX-30 exact location but all Mazda for past 38 years have been in that location).
The cycling on and off (even if the Accelerator Pedal is not at 50%) again is normal, becasue IF the Compressor is on all the time the Evap would freeze up, Pipes would freeze and other issues happen.
Again as I have said before Mazda AC's don't go down to Freezing Cold Temps.
IF you are an Auto Electrician or Electrician you could hook up a 12volt wire from Compressor Clutch to a small 12V globe inside car so you can monitor the Compressor on and off, Comp on when there is powered to Clutch, Comp off when light goes out. I bet when the light is out (Comp OFF) is when it is cycling off and on as the Sensor inside of Evaporator has reached 50F, it heats back up and Compressor cuts in again to cool down.
Seriously every new Mazda model or particularly Owner complains about Mazda AC not being cold enough.
IMO you are looking for a problem or a fault that is just not there.
Having said that Mazda Japan may change software after enough complaints, that is something a Mazda Dealer can not alter unless Japan changes their Software and or in some cases a re-engineered or modified AC Thermostats Control Unit (they did that for the series USA Mazda RX-8 17 years ago, on that cars system).
I am also surprised you got the Temp down low even under your car-port at engine Idle with AC on, the system would have become heat soaked pretty quickly even with Condenser Fan on in carport.
Sorry my friend but to me from Australia your car looks pretty normal for a Mazda AC..
I will look into it a little more if I find info will let you know.
I've tested two other cars now and the air temp does not vary by more than + or - 2 degrees.

I understand car compressors are designed to cycle on and off based on pressures and temperatures. If Mazda wants to add a feature that turns the compressor off above 50% throttle I'm all for that. As the video clearly shows my car turns the compressor off with minimal throttle. I can sit at idle indefinitely and the air temperature will remain at 52 F + or - 2 degrees, thats normal. Then shortly after minimal acceleration the temp climbs to 62 degrees. Clearly the compressor is turning off and staying off too long. The bottom line for me is, because of the more than 10 degree temperature fluctuations it fails to keep the passengers reasonably comfortable. I am hoping Maxda will acknowledge that and make a software change quickly.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 SkyactivX GT Plus FWD AT - Polymetal Grey
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Surprised to hear that a Romania topped up the AC Refrigerant becasue it was 'low', generally to lose R134y gas is either a leak which overtime all gas is expelled as 'leaks' do not stop leaking or a pipe joint leak.
Once a certain amount to gas is expelled the Compressor will never turn on until system is fixed and re-evacuated and re-filled with new gas, most AC's not working at all in cars is a 60-100% loss of refrigerant gas, no Compressor on means no working AC at all, all just hot air. Stay tuned..
There were three or four users on the Romanian Mazda forum who have been to the service and topped up the refrigerant. As to what caused the quantity to be less than what it should have been, there is no information. People speculate that it might have not been filled according to spec, or as been told by the techs, even if you fill it to the spec, when disconnecting the valves from the machine that does the filling, there will be a certain amount of refrigerant that escapes from the system.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Compressor is off becasue it reach 50F (not going to argue about 1 or 2 degrees F, that is nothing), as I said have your FAN on Maximum, that will blow cold air faster, further, and longer to cool down cabin faster if it is 100F outside, as I said 50 degrees is cold inside a car but not freezing, it will never be freezing cold.
Mazda as many other car brands have a balancing act between economy and yes even total car weight, to be efficient which is what most customers demand and Governments around the world.
A 10F degree fluctuation in cabin temp is not that bad because of compressor cycle down to 60 before compressor cuts in, 60F is 16C, here even 16C we call that very cool. :)
Good luck, I will post info about AC if I hear/see anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Compressor is off becasue it reach 50F (not going to argue about 1 or 2 degrees F, that is nothing), as I said have your FAN on Maximum, that will blow cold air faster, further, and longer to cool down cabin faster if it is 100F outside, as I said 50 degrees is cold inside a car but not freezing, it will never be freezing cold.
Mazda as many other car brands have a balancing act between economy and yes even total car weight, to be efficient which is what most customers demand and Governments around the world.
A 10F degree fluctuation in cabin temp is not that bad because of compressor cycle down to 60 before compressor cuts in, 60F is 16C, here even 16C we call that very cool. :)
Good luck, I will post info about AC if I hear/see anything.
I'm not sure why you are defending the poor performance of this cars ac. I think my compressor is turning off because something in the software is telling it to as soon as the throttle is applied.
To be clear, I'm not measuring cabin temperature. I used a meat thermometer and the probe is 6" inside one of the vents. I'm measuring air temp from the vent. The cabin temp is much much warmer.

I will say this again, I can sit at idle indefinitely and the air temperature will remain at 52 F + or - 2 degrees. Also at a steady speed the temp remains constant. About 15 seconds after any acceleration the temp rises more than 10 degrees sometimes as much as 14 degrees.

If all Cx 30s are set this way I'm surprised there aren't more complaints about this.
There are a few more complaints in the evaporation problem thread though. It's hot and HUMID in Houston now. Perhaps people in dryer climates have the benefit of evaporate cooling (simply having the air blowing over the skin will have a cooling effect) and the rise in temp is not as noticeable. We don't have that advantage in Houston. Perhaps it's just my car and a few others?

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 Deep Crystal Blue Mica - Premium
158 Posts
Oh I complain right along with you and I'm in NewYork not a hot climate. I came from a 2017 Mazda CX-3 never experienced what you do and I do with my CX-30 my CX-3 would get so cold😟 & sometimes with my CX-30 & the ac I feel as if the heat goes on 😣 as I've mentioned before I am a sad widdle fellie kennellie 😥

·
Registered
17 Posts
Other than the ac problem I really like this car. Im thinking If it's as bad for others as it is for me I'm pretty confident Mazda will find a way to fix it. The first step though is getting Mazda to acknowledge there is a problem.

·
Registered
Preferred FWD / Deep Crystal Blue Mica
171 Posts
Other than the ac problem I really like this car. Im thinking If it's as bad for others as it is for me I'm pretty confident Mazda will find a way to fix it. The first step though is getting Mazda to acknowledge there is a problem.
I am not having the problem that you're having. My A/C works great and I drive in hot and HUMID Hawaii with 36C+ days.
The first step though is getting Mazda to acknowledge there is a problem
You do know that there are 520 members on this forum and I am only reading about a handful of members with a A/C problem like yours. That is around 1% of the members here. I am not saying there isn't a problem but,Maybe you should start a poll on who agrees that there is a big A/C problem to really get a better picture.

·
Registered
AWD GT CX-30 ceramic coated
323 Posts
I am not having the problem that you're having. My A/C works great and I drive in hot and HUMID Hawaii with 36C+ days. You do know that there are 520 members on this forum and I am only reading about a handful of members with a A/C problem like yours. That is around 1% of the members here. I am not saying there isn't a problem but,Maybe you should start a poll on who agrees that there is a big A/C problem to really get a better picture.
Yah no issues with mine as well.. I use auto and leave the temperature set at 20 degrees C or 68 F

·
Registered
17 Posts
Might be useful to include the high temperatures where you live when posting if you notice a problem or not. When it's 85F here it's not as noticeable for me but Houston hits 95 quite often. Also to help figure out if this is only happening on some CX 30s or if all do this please indicate if you notice the air coming out of the vents gets warmer shortly after accelerating or not.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am not having the problem that you're having. My A/C works great and I drive in hot and HUMID Hawaii with 36C+ days. You do know that there are 520 members on this forum and I am only reading about a handful of members with a A/C problem like yours. That is around 1% of the members here. I am not saying there isn't a problem but,Maybe you should start a poll on who agrees that there is a big A/C problem to really get a better picture.
That's what is puzzling to me. Why aren't there more complaints. Originally based on my tests I assumed Mazda has programmed this car to cut the compressor any time the throttle was applied. If that is true I would think most people in hotter climates would complain. I'll be interested to hear from more that are driving in 95F + temps like you are. Also stop & go traffic is the worst for me.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Premium FWD in Machine Gray Metallic
56 Posts
Okay, I'll complain. I thought you had it pretty well covered but if Mazda needs more complaints to get their attention, I'll pile on.

It gets pretty warm here in SC and I've certainly noticed the a/c cuts out when I zoom-zoom and yes I find it annoying. And I'd find it a lot more annoying if I drove it every day in stop and go traffic or had to dress up for a job, especially if I were making sales calls or something and was in and out of it all day. So, yes, I agree it's a problem that Mazda needs to address.

That said, I have tried several things to make it more agreeable. I did purchase an official Mazda windshield shade that I insert when parked at home. It helps. But the first thing I do is open the hatch to air it out. I then get in, start the car, blast the a/c, listen to the DING DING DING while I put the windows down, fold and store the shade. Sometimes I even get back out of the car while it cools. Leaving, I do finally put my seat belt on, accelerate through the parking brake (squat and all), leaving the windows open until I'm sure it will be cooler if I close them. Then I usually take the longer, slower way out of my neighborhood while the cabin cools. By the time I get to real traffic it's pretty comfortable so I can put up with the inconvenience while I accelerate. Under typical driving the a/c works well and keeps my wrists cool but does drop off significantly when overtaking the slow pokes.

Bottom line, I'd certainly be willing to give up a few horsepower or mpg's to have it provide me with consistent cooling and I would entreat Mazda to consider the comfort of the folks who pony up the money to purchase their product.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Okay, I'll complain. I thought you had it pretty well covered but if Mazda needs more complaints to get their attention, I'll pile on.

It gets pretty warm here in SC and I've certainly noticed the a/c cuts out when I zoom-zoom and yes I find it annoying. And I'd find it a lot more annoying if I drove it every day in stop and go traffic or had to dress up for a job, especially if I were making sales calls or something and was in and out of it all day. So, yes, I agree it's a problem that Mazda needs to address.

That said, I have tried several things to make it more agreeable. I did purchase an official Mazda windshield shade that I insert when parked at home. It helps. But the first thing I do is open the hatch to air it out. I then get in, start the car, blast the a/c, listen to the DING DING DING while I put the windows down, fold and store the shade. Sometimes I even get back out of the car while it cools. Leaving, I do finally put my seat belt on, accelerate through the parking brake (squat and all), leaving the windows open until I'm sure it will be cooler if I close them. Then I usually take the longer, slower way out of my neighborhood while the cabin cools. By the time I get to real traffic it's pretty comfortable so I can put up with the inconvenience while I accelerate. Under typical driving the a/c works well and keeps my wrists cool but does drop off significantly when overtaking the slow pokes.

Bottom line, I'd certainly be willing to give up a few horsepower or mpg's to have it provide me with consistent cooling and I would entreat Mazda to consider the comfort of the folks who pony up the money to purchase their product.
Off topic but .. the Mazda one sounds better haha.. lol couldn't help my self since I worked at a ford dealership in service for a while and you mentioned DING DING

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the input Mazderati. Maybe this will help you and others that are having problems staying cool in the hotter weather.
I did the same test but in sport mode and the temp did not rise when accelerating. In fact sometimes it went down. I'm very happy about that! Now I'm back to thinking Mazda has programmed this car to cut the compressor when accelerating. Perhaps a program only letting it turn the compressor off after the cabin temp has cooled down would be a good compromise between fuel economy and driver comfort. Or only cutting the compressor when throttle input is more than 50% as others have stated. Here's a video showing that the air temps remained steady at 47 + - 1 degree in sport mode while accelerating.

·
Registered
CX-30 GT - 2.5 L AWD
141 Posts
Yesterday I did a 2 hour trip. Outside temperature was 32C(90F). I had the auto temperature set to 19.5C. Cabin was nice and cool with no issues. Stopped at the store and left the vehicle running and a nice water puddle was under the vehicle. No complaints here about the AC.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yesterday I did a 2 hour trip. Outside temperature was 32C(90F). I had the auto temperature set to 19.5C. Cabin was nice and cool with no issues. Stopped at the store and left the vehicle running and a nice water puddle was under the vehicle. No complaints here about the AC.
I Have used mine in 38 C or 101 F temps and jumped into my cx30 after its been sitting for 3 hrs in that heat and have my settings as i always do at 20 C or 68 F no opening windows to pre cool it down or anything like that and even tho at first its so hot to even sit on the seats i jsut got in and started driving and after 10 minutes its cooled down inside allot so im confused as to why so many are saying that the AC is weak.. I had a heat wave like that for a entire 2 weeks almost and I can honestly and confedantly say the AC works great for me and no issues. All i do is leave it on Auto at 20 C /68 F and i never ever touch the settings 98 % of the time unless i need front defog which is the other 2% but very rare. I mean also if you have the inside cooler then what the outside temp is yah of course you will have a fogging issue thats just science.. like a cold drink on a hot day your glass /bottle fogs up and condensates.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I Have used mine in 38 C or 101 F temps and jumped into my cx30 after its been sitting for 3 hrs in that heat and have my settings as i always do at 20 C or 68 F no opening windows to pre cool it down or anything like that and even tho at first its so hot to even sit on the seats i jsut got in and started driving and after 10 minutes its cooled down inside allot so im confused as to why so many are saying that the AC is weak.. I had a heat wave like that for a entire 2 weeks almost and I can honestly and confedantly say the AC works great for me and no issues. All i do is leave it on Auto at 20 C /68 F and i never ever touch the settings 98 % of the time unless i need front defog which is the other 2% but very rare. I mean also if you have the inside cooler then what the outside temp is yah of course you will have a fogging issue thats just science.. like a cold drink on a hot day your glass /bottle fogs up and condensates.
Yes it is confusing. The input on this cars AC has ranged from "great" to it's so bad I'm getting another car. I like this car too much to consider that. Ha, I still look back to admire how good it looks when I walk away.

Assuming all CX 30s cut the compressor with any acceleration like mine does, it could be the type of driving that affects how comfortable one is. Stop & go traffic is normal for me, so I'm not pleased with the AC. I'm sure steady speeds would keep me more comfortable.

Detailcarguy - you have indicated that under certain acceleration scenarios the AC compressor will shut off and the air starts to become a lot less cool. Can you or anyone else in hot climates verify whether it's only certain times the compressor shuts off or is it every time you accelerate?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes it is confusing. The input on this cars AC has ranged from "great" to it's so bad I'm getting another car. I like this car too much to consider that. Ha, I still look back to admire how good it looks when I walk away.

Assuming all CX 30s cut the compressor with any acceleration like mine does, it could be the type of driving that affects how comfortable one is. Stop & go traffic is normal for me, so I'm not pleased with the AC. I'm sure steady speeds would keep me more comfortable.

Detailcarguy - you have indicated that under certain acceleration scenarios the AC compressor will shut off and the air starts to become a lot less cool. Can you or anyone else in hot climates verify whether it's only certain times the compressor shuts off or is it every time you accelerate?
I would say it's under any sort of hard acceleration or suddenly pressing the accelerator to say pass or merging but honestly it doesn't affect things to badly as it's only for a very short time. But I also had a 2004 ford ranger that dis the exact same thing lol so it's nothing new to me and it's not a issue or defect to me as ie rather get full power / HP when I need it vs a AC compressor hogging it.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts